“Veggies beware...”

Black Olive Delicatessen
Ranked #10 of 50 Restaurants in Southwold
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Fabulous selection of salads, cheeses, pies, chutneys and bread...perfect for a beach picnic.

However, I'm a veggie and was disappointed to find,when I got home, that the butternut squash and feta pie contained chicken :(

Tknit, Owner at Black Olive Delicatessen, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

I'm so glad that you enjoyed your visit, and liked the goods you purchased. May I just confirm that a "Light as a Feta" pie should not contain meat, only butternut squash, feta and sundried tomatoes.

I can only assume that you were given the incorrect pie in error, for which I am very sorry. Please accept my apologies and call the shop on 01502 722312 at your earliest convenience. I will arrange a refund and replacement straight away.

Best Regards
Tracy Brown
Managing Director

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Superb salad selection, great cheeses and scotch eggs. Brilliant place to gather yummy picnic together.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Have changed layout of shop since last visit and unfortunately the staff were a tad offhand not customer friendly!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Back in Southwold and made a point of returning to the Black Olive for some truly great deli food. Pies, Cheeses and Chutney to die for. So why a poor marking? Purely down to attitude of a lady who I assume was the manager (shortish lady with dark hair) who needs a few lessons in customer service. Perhaps we caught her on a bad day but really poor attitude to both us, as customers, and her young staff who were only responding to our simple request to try the Suffolk Gold before deciding whether to add it to our order. She 'butted-in' and took over from the youngsters unnecessarily and without understanding our request and when we explained she had got it wrong went off in a huff, maybe through embarrassment - I don't know! My recent experience apart the place is still worth seeking out. Maybe they need to change the sign outside to Love Food Love Southwold Love Black Olive and tolerate customers!!??

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Back in southwold and happy to return to the black olive for excellent chutney and cheeses. Shame they have stopped selling the sourdough they used to have butt well worth seeking out particularly for the great locally produced cheeses they have.