“Good value”
Review of Blyth Hotel

Blyth Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Southwold
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed two nights in May Comfortable room good quality and plentiful breakfast. Nice bar/lounge area. Small car park at the rear but plenty of on street parking nearby. Beach and town easy walking distance.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Before booking I asked if the wifi internet would be available in the bedroom as this was important to me as traveling alone with work to do.
Staff friendly and hotel comfortable,on arrival in my room found no wifi signal available in my room, when asked about it at reception I was told that only some areas receive it as it's an old building.
I could only get a signal in the guests lounge.
Disappointed that I was mislead before I booked.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Sheila V
Reviewed 1 July 2014

At the end of our stay at the Blyth Hotel the owner suggested we write a review although it is not something we normally do.We stayed at the hotel for four nights and were disappointed with the standard of our accommodation (it is called a 'superior king room'?) Our room was decorated in 'Laura Ashley' which is fine but it all looked very tired and a bit grubby. First thing we noticed on entering the room was how dirty the bedroom carpet was and really needed a good steam clean or replacing! All the furniture (cupboard/drawers) looked very old and again needed a good clean or maybe some imaginitive 'upcycling' with a coat of paint. The net curtain was torn and the paintwork on the window sill was peeling. The bathroom shower was difficult to operate without getting scalded as it is fixed and the shower screen kept tilting over the bath which was very annoying whilst trying to have a bath. The toilet is in a very awkward location, with limited space around it. The pillows (lumpy foam) and duvet were very uncomfortable and not particularly good quality considering the cost of our stay(luckily I brought my own pillow) General cleanliness of room left a lot to be desired and on one occasion our bin was not emptied and the carpet was not vacuumed. On a more positive note the hotel is in a good location and the staff are generally quite helpful and friendly. The breakfasts were good with a nice choice of food although at times the staff seemed overstretched and kept running out of milk,coffee, butter etc. Our overall impression is that the hotel is relying on the fact that there are not many hotels in Southwold and that they will always be able to get guests easily because of it's location. However this complacent attitude has meant that the hotel has not been updated and looks shabby.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lesley B
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Only just getting round to putting review on. We stayed just after Christmas 2013. The bar is pleasant and the staff friendly. The rooms are dated but bed very comfortable. Breakfast average but ok. It could be better but in good location.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed two nights in the Blyth , in Room 11 , on the top floor. The room was very large and had a spacious shower although no bath, it was very clean and the bed was extremely comfortable.

We had a cooked breakfast both days which had a good choice with unlimited tea , coffee , fruit and yoguats, you help yourself to these and order the cooked breakfast.

The bar facilities are excellent , with lovely comfortable sofas or more traditional bar tables , the beer choice was all Adnams but excellent and the coffees were very tasty.

We also ate one night in the restaurant , the pate starters and other starters were excellent , and I had scampi which was very tasty.

We had the cheese and biscuts which had a great selection.

The only odd thing was that on the first night ( Friday) we went out for a walk and at 10.00 nearly everything was closed in town , I understand everyone goes to bed early in Southwold, even the bar at the hotel was closed on our return but they kindly opened it again.

Overall a very pleasant stay , reasonable prices , and lovely helpful staff.

You just need to get chilled to enjoy the suffolk way of life !

Room Tip: The best rooms are on the top floor , but it involves walking up two flights of stairs !
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Tough review to write,the staff were completely lovely and you'd go back for them alone. Stayed for two nights at the end of May. I made my booking online and they called me back straight away to confirm so I was very impressed with their personal service and that has brought my score up. Although the room was generous in size, it felt like they were overdue a refit as it was all a bit early 80's and the furniture wasn't very practical,given it was a hotel room,so loads of drawers but no iron, an armchair that was so low to the floor you might as well sit on the floor. I travel for work a lot and that sort of thing doesn't put me off, because most small businesses over the last few years have had to think carefully about how they spend their money and I'd prefer dated to the blandness of a chain. However, it simply was not clean. As an example, the bathroom had a dust ball that was so big, initially I thought was a rodent and the carpet needed a really good hoover. Cleanliness is a basic for any hotel, big or small, boutique or chain. Being somewhere that is clean is important to how relaxed I feel when I stay there, so unfortunately, even though the staff were lovely and the property beautiful, given what I paid, I wouldn't go back again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Our fourth (we think) stay with Richard and his crew. This time the lovely Southwold Suite. As former Crown customers before that place increased its prices to silly money, The Blyth reminds us of what the Crown used to be. The food at The Blyth was good with breakfast being a pleasant, leisurely experience. To be fair The Blyth is probably approaching the point where a lick of paint here and there wouldn't go amiss but overall a friendly place to stop, roll on our next visit.

Room Tip: One room - can't recall which is tiny - OK if you're by yourself but not if there's two...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southwold
Randolph Hotel
#1 of 1 in Dunwich
The Westleton Crown
The Westleton Crown
#1 of 1 in Westleton

Been to Blyth Hotel? Share your experiences!