Blyth Hotel
  • Restaurant
Randolph Hotel(Southwold)
The Angel Hotel(Halesworth)
View Hotel
All reviewssouthwold suiteno liftevening mealone night staycooked breakfasttown centrenew ownersfull englishlovely hotelenjoyable stayfew minutes walktop floorlarge roomthe staff were friendly and helpfulwithin easy walking distanceshower roomeggs benedict
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 May 2009

Having reviewed this hotel recently on behalf of my dad, I was keen to spend a weekend here with my husband. If I was scoring the hotel on the friendliness of the service and the quality of the evening meals, then the Blyth would definitely have scored top marks -- the staff and the food were exceptional.

Unfortunately, however, a few housekeeping issues (that I wouldn't have expected from a hotel that charges £135/night) let the hotel down.

First, the complimentary beverage tray in our room had not be checked or replenished prior to our arrival. One packet of broken biscuits that had already been opened, no milk and lots of dust on (and in) the lid of the tin in which the various items were displayed. The china cups were very pretty, but badly stained inside which made them look dirty -- quite off-putting really. Next, we discovered that in order to boil the kettle, we had to put in on the floor to plug it in -- very dangerous in my opinion.

The other problem I found was in the bathroom, where nothing on the taps indicated which was hot and which was cold. As they were the opposite way 'round to my taps at home, I burned myself twice. Again, very dangerous considering how hot the hot water actually was. Due to the current hot weather, our room was stifling and would have benefitted from a fan. Having to leave the window open, I was woken up both nights by the shouts and catcalls of drunken youngsters staggering home from town at midnight.

I feel quite mean moaning about these issues, but not being rich and rarely getting time away with my husband by ourselves, I really wanted to treat him to a wonderful weekend in a gorgeous, relaxing hotel. We did have a great stay and two delicious dinners, but the lack on attention to detail in a few areas just took the shine off a bit.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2009

This hotel seems to be living on its past reputation. The current emphasis seems to be on making as much money as possible, rather than on providing service. The room was small and in need of substantial investment. Breakfast was poor. No muesli, melon only as fruit, poached egg that tasted of vinegar, dried bread masquerading as toast on which to place the thimble full of marmalade.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2009

We just stayed at the Blyth for one night over the Easter Break. Overall, I guess that I was expecting much better for the not-so-cheap £140 per night. It is a nice establishment, but certainly for the price range I was disappointed.
First the good points:
- Breakfast was excellent
- Quiet
- Nice clientele
- Kind and helpful staff

The disappoiting bits were many, unfortunatelly:
- Althought it has been recently redecorated, it is actually a bit shabby (cheap painting that comes off the walls, old doors and windows, cheap floring, etc)
- Not the cleanest hotel: the beadspread, although very elegant, could have used a wash; the carpets were quite dirty; hairs in the bathroom...
- The service is professional, but very impersonal.
- The room we were given was very small

As I said, a nice establishment, but overpriced and a bit rough around the edges and certainly not cozy... I would recommend it, but with caution...

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank ClaudiaPev
Reviewed 12 April 2009

The Blyth Hotel was an exellent choice for us. The rooms are clean and nicely decorated. The staff very very friendly and helpful. But the food is the jewel of this restaurant. It is very good. Sothwold little high street is just outside and we had planned to go out to eat but had every meal in the hotel. They also do a selection of tapas that can be eaten in the bar. We will certainly go again.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LondonLynette
Reviewed 9 April 2009

We were only there for a few nights, but the staff were friendly and the rooms were great. We stayed in two of them! The southwold suite was very nice. Breakfast was very good as was the food in general. Perfect for what we wanted which was a quiet get away.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple