“So disappointed !!”

Sutherland House Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 19 Southwold B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I was so excited about our two night break at this hotel..
The whole place is very tired, worn furnishings,uncomfortable bed, furniture you wouldn't give house room, dirty kettle and tea pot in the room, spiders web with eggs in on the wall by the dining table. The food is average and certainly not 5 star AA rated. I think they need to re visit.
We were only on a short break and after sleepless night in an uncomfortable bed with people stomping around in the rooms above and running noisy showers into the early hours, enough was enough and we checked out after night one having to pay in full for our second night. Not at all like the web site. Please be warned !!!

3  Thank Louise2965
Andy R, Owner at Sutherland House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear guest, we are sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us here at Sutherland House; I do remember that during your brief stay here we did have some rather rowdy guests staying in the room above that were in Southwold for a stag weekend, not the typical guest I must admit and as a result caused you a sleepless night. I am truly sorry that this happened and caused you to see our hotel in a less than favorable light; I suspect that had it not been for the unruly guests above, you may have seen things a bit differently and not judged us in the way you did.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Following on with all the other reviews, The hotel is so different from other places, One very proud owners in Andy and Kinga, they value people in a real way with service and quality to match.Here you have a hotel with style that you will not i believe find anywhere.The Duke of York room is a must with all the glory fit for a king.The dining is relaxed with gentle banter that takes away the stiffness of other hotels.Food in our minds blows away standard in other dining places in the high street.The whole team carefully trained deliver fantastic standards across this amazing hotel.Wish Andy , Kinga and team every success as they sure deserve it.on reading the wonderful reviews go and try it .Your love it .

Room Tip: Duke of York room , large and overlooking high street
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest, I am so pleased to read that you had a lovely time staying here, I know i speak for all of the hard working staff when I say it was a pleasure to look after such lovely guests, I am sure we will be seeing you again soon

Reviewed 8 August 2014

I've included a separate review of the excellent The Duke of York Suite, and apart from the unbeatable location, my remaining superlatives must be shared between the restaurant, and the delightful Andy and Kinga who run the place with effortless style and efficiency. After the first few minutes we already felt we were among friends, and friends who really know their stuff when it comes to running one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in, with a truly exceptional restaurant. And Andy really knows his wines - including the superb dessert wines from my good friend Willi Opitz. We both hope we'll get the chance to come back often!
Steve & Lesley

Room Tip: The Duke of York Suite was luxuriously comfortable, beautifully furnished with a huge and spectacula...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Smpopple
Andy R, Owner at Sutherland House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Dear Steve & Lesley Thank you so much for your kind words, it is lovely when our guests appreciate what we try to do here. I am sure we will be seeing you again soon and I will have some of that desert wine ready for you

Reviewed 3 August 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a fantastic weekend break at Sutherland House. The accommodation, food and staff were really great and having stayed at many of the hotels in Southwold I would rate this as one of the best for quality, customer service and a lovely relaxing environment. Thank you, we look forward to returning.

1  Thank Nicola C
Andy R, Owner at Sutherland House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

I am pleased to read you had a lovely weekend with us and in particular you found us to offer excellent customer service.
Nice to see you will be coming back to us, do remember by booking with us directly you’ll be sure to receive the best available rates and special offers.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Absolutely lovely hotel and staff = particularly Chloe who checked us in - couldn't have been sweeter.
We have stayed in some of the nicest rooms at the Swan - which is now very tired, almost shabby - and the Crown but Sutherland leaves them standing. I can't imagine why you would want to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: it is as it is - rooms are well displayed on the website. Given the location, Southwold can be nois...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you so much for your kind review, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us

Reviewed 31 July 2014

My wife and I have had two visits to Sutherland House and cannot praise highly enough the experience .
The staff are extremely friendly and the service is impeccable.
The food in the restaurant is of a very high quality and the rooms are each individual and. Full of character.
I would recommend anybody staying for more than one night to use the Sutherland Suite with its seperate lounge and bedroom areas.
Andy the host is very approachable and we enjoyed a good friendly banter with him.
Southwold in its self is a lovely place to relax and I cannot think of a better place to accompy this than Sutherland House, we will be back!
Caz and Nick.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Andy R, Owner at Sutherland House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Sutherland House with the Trip Advisor community.

We’re so glad that you had such a lovely time with us. Your comments complementing the hotel and our staff are all a delight to read and act as a constant source of motivation to all the team here at Sutherland House

Thank you once again for your review, and we hope to welcome you back to Sutherland House in the near future, do remember by booking with us directly you’ll be sure to receive the best available rates and special offers.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We really enjoyed our stay. We had two big rooms with wonderful huge beds and attractively furnished. Antique furniture but managing to be modernly stylish. One bathroom had an a large pedestal bath (no shower) but we were warned that it takes 40 minutes to fill! Still it looked very fine. The other had a small sit in bath with a shower above and curtained round. This bathroom we found was very comfortable. Large fluffy bath towels and liquid soap only for basin and shower. Fine for a couple of nights. breakfast was served between 9-10.00 am on Sunday and offered an excellent choice of poached eggs benedict and so on as well as a massive English breakfast with bacon, sausages, eggs of your choice and so on. Home made brown toast just to mention a few enjoyable and different features.

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay here and were able to sample two of our rooms. Thank you for taking the time to post a lovely review

Also consider these accommodations in or near Southwold
Randolph Hotel
#1 of 1 in Dunwich
Wentworth Hotel
Wentworth Hotel
#1 of 4 in Aldeburgh

Been to Sutherland House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!