“An institution. Proper fish and chips”
Review of Mark's Fish Shop

Mark's Fish Shop
Ranked #33 of 50 Restaurants in Southwold
Price range: US$7 - US$13
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I first went to Marks 35 years ago as a boy of two years old with my Dad. I have been back every time I have returned to Southwold and took my two year old boy in with me this time!

Its exactly the same and has never changed and long may that continue. After a day on the beach nothing beats nipping down there and getting the best fish and chips in the world.

Sure its not super crispy light as a feather, pink himalayan mountain salt encrusted gastrochippy fare. There are plenty of places doing fine food in Southwold these days What it is is proper old style fresh fish with traditional batter and hot fresh chips.

Tis the best and well priced too.

I look forward to taking my son and his grandson down there in 35 years time.

1  Thank golden25

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

I'd like to comment on the food but we turned up at 8.01pm on a Thursday in June to find they'd closed at 8pm! Really! Never known a chippy to close so early-especially in a tourist town in the summer season. So get there early...

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Takeaway service is similar to a conveyer line, just churning out orders. No care is given to the quality of packaging. The girl who served me lined the bags of Chips she had just made up, then one by one lay it on the paper then placed the fish on top. She then tightened it up by bundling it all up in the paper. When all 3 packets were unwrapped on the beach on Southwold, only 10 mins later. The fish (cod) was just a pile of mush. Both chips and fish were stone cold. I found this not only unappetising but appalling! I have eaten in and taken away from here before but never been so disappointed as this. D Hayes, London (Thurs 26th June - 5:15pm)

2  Thank LonDaz
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

This was really disappointing. Very over cooked scampi, in the fryer for 15 minutes. We were second in the queue at opening time, so no excuse for not getting it right.

3  Thank Sandyrew
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We visited Southwold today and decided to have lunch at Mark's Fish, having enjoyed meals here on previous occasions. We arrived before noon and the restaurant was almost empty, only one other table occupied, so not at all busy. We ordered large cod and chips, and tea for three, which came to around £28, not cheap, but to be expected in Southwold. I handed over two £20 notes and was given about £2 change. In fairness, there was no argument when I returned to the counter to challenge this, and the waitress brought me the missing £10.

When our meals arrived the chips (and plates) were cold. We pointed this out and the waitress took the plates away. She returned them a few minutes later with fresh chips but the same fish, which was now also cold. ("Yours is the one with the tartare sauce on it.") The chips were now ok, nothing special, but the cod was grey, oily and quite unpleasant. We were very embarrassed, having promised our overseas guest a great British seaside treat. Needless to remark, we won't be returning.

1  Thank 190Daniel