“Shame about the breakfast”
Review of The Anchor

The Anchor
Ranked #1 of 3 Walberswick B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We stayed for one night in February and had a lovely meal in the bar served by very friendly staff. We were really looking forward to breakfast but it was so disappointing. Smoked haddock was ordered by my husband and I decided on kippers. The waiter came back and said they had no kippers quickly followed by the chef putting his head around the door and saying he had found a kipper that I could have. I knew this was a mistake to have it but I felt I couldn't say no. While these were cooking my husband decided to have some marmalade. Jams and marmalade were in ramekins and neither my husband or the waiter could decide which was jam and which was marmalade. Our breakfasts arrived but on tasting my kipper it was only luke warm which leads me to think it was frozen and had not been thawed out properly. My husband's smoked haddock was also luke warm. We pushed them to one side and when the waiter came to clear the plates he did not ask us what was wrong with them. My husband told the waiter that they were a real disappointment but the waiter just walked off. We decided to have some toast with marmalade but unfortunately the toast was burnt- something that should not happen. It was fortunate that we had such a nice meal the night before.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank susan g

Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

After a great walk from Southwold we stopped at the Anchor Inn for lunch. Dog friendly, we had some wonderful food, wine and puddings!! All delicious. Choice was a little slim and when busy service a little slow, but it was Sunday and well worth the wait. Highly recommend!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank jamiedavidson77
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We chose the Anchor as it is recommended in the Good Food Guide…….and it did not disappoint! The accommodation was good, the food was excellent and the service was even better! In addition to their obvious love of good food these people have a real feeling for quality beer plus great knowledge of wine…..and it is all fairly priced.

We will be back to get some more of the Anchor of Walberswick.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

After reading through some if these reviews, I am dumbfounded. I could not recommend The Anchor highly enough.

The staff are always so welcoming, the atmosphere warm (probably to do with the open fire) and the good and drink excellent.

My partner and I will occasionally pop in for a couple of glasses of prosecco and a pudding, and are always made to feel welcome and accommodated.

I wouldn't be put off reading other reviews, as this really is a little gem!!

Stayed: January 2014
elizabethMellor, Owner at The Anchor, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear Emily,
Thank you so much for your review. It really lifts the spirit of our team, since we are all really committed to what we do and really do enjoy looking after our customers. We have a great team, both in the kitchen and out front and are really looking forward to being even better this year! Come and pick up a loaf of our bread as a 'thank you'.

We look forward to welcoming you again,
best wishes from us all.
Sophie

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Having visited the Anchor on New Years Day we found every table in the pub set and reserved for dining. The one remaining table was 'reserved for locals' We found it very sad that a pub with no less than three rooms one of which was a good sized dining room was so greedy for revenue from food that ordinary folk, local to Suffolk and Norfolk if not the actual village could be turned away because they went into a pub - not a restaurant seeking a drink.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sandra186342

Yes, we definately are a pub and we welcome people who would like to drop in for a drink or light lunch. We are very popular with families, meeting for a walk on the beach followed by lunch., It is very fair that we accept bookings, since we are very remote. During the Summer we have 3 large seating areas outside for people. Over the Christmas period we put up a marquee for additional space which had seating and was decorated for Christmas. On the days when it was not raining and blowing a gale I ran street food outside as a more speedy option where our customers could use our heated flint barn or the marquee. On New Years day the weather was unusually bad and it was not physically possible to run my BBQ. To my knowledge, everyone Luke or I spoke to were offered a table in a reasonable time, as we re jigged our table plan to accommodate people sheltering from the wind and cold.
It definately is not that we are 'gready for revenue', merely that New Years Day is a time when lots of people go out for a walk followed by lunch. From what I understand, you have given us a 2 star rating, without sampling what we have on offer.
I am sorry that we did not manage to look after yourselves in the way we would have liked.
Best wishes
Sophie

Reviewed 13 December 2013

I've stayed at the Anchor twice - during shooting trips to Suffolk. It is a wonderfully welcoming pub with very comfortable and spacious accommodation, great food and excellent breakfasts. The rooms are large, very clean and well furnished, with WiFi. Last year I stayed on Thanksgiving Night and had a wonderful meal of Grilled Oysters and the roast Turkey all washed down with excellent Adnams beer. Breakfast was local keepers with perfectly one poached eggs (an art in itself). This year I was too late for dinner but had an excellent evening chatting with the landlord and his barman over beer and then Ardbeg malt whisky. Breakfast was full English - perfectly cooked and with the best pot of strong tea I've had in ages. Set me up for a day's shooting. The owners go out of their way to make you feel at home. Excellent. Will return again and again and again..

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your lovely review. We all enjoyed reading it, with your great attention to detail!
We will do our best to repeat it when you are next up this way.
Best wishes
SOphie

Reviewed 26 November 2013

The day before we arrived at the Anchor I read a few bad reviews on here and was quite worried. However, on our arrival on a busy Sunday lunch my fears vanished. We were greeted by a smiling member of staff, who although he couldn't serve us sandwiches explained that we if we wanted only a light lunch it was okay to order just a starter from the menu. After a warming bowl of delicious homemade soup we were then shown to our room. Very happy with the cleanliness, size and amazing views. Really comfortable and relaxing. We had a bulb blow as we switched on the light, my husband reported it and within minutes it was replaced.
We ate at the Anchor both nights of our stay and were very pleased with quality of food and wine offered.
I would like suggest to prospective visitors to the Anchor to ignore the terrible reviews. We were very happy with the service offered and had a most enjoyable stay and are planning a return visit early next year.

Room Tip: we stayed in the main part of building. Room 5 has amazing views.