“Seaside chill”
Review of The Anchor

The Anchor
Ranked #1 of 3 Walberswick B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Spacious characterful room (number 1) with view of the sea over the salt marsh/dunes.
Efficient friendly cheerful staff, excellent service catering for special request ( hard set yolk on poached egg).
Relaxed atmosphere with large terraced areas and garden. Direct access to footpath down to the beach.
Only slight negatives - no orange juice for breakfast, wine by the glass expensive, dinner starter not up to what I assume would be their normal standard (charcuterie which included smoked salmon with small portions of meat).
That did not however spoil a really most enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Choose room one with the sea view or the garden rooms which looked nice.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

We booked lunch here as a group of 9 and found the food very expensive, London rates really, the ploughmans were very poor value 1 tiny piece of ham & cheese, my order had been forgotten everyone else had eaten their meal I said to cancel my order it did then arrive free of charge we also had an item on the bill which we did not recognise, which they duly deleted but that was not the point we will not be going there again

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank ladybird622
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Had a wonderful pizza here on the weekend - great idea in the outdoor woodburning oven and really tasty. Great setting for this pub and the style inside and out very clean lines and inviting. The evening meal we had was maybe not so good for the price - the prices a bit steep and the choices maybe could have been a little more pedestrian - the aubergine bake not good value at all. On balance though a very nice place to sit and relax.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Odette-Jeremy
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My mother took me here for my birthday meal because we have previously enjoyed eating at this restaurant on numerous occasions, however, I have to say that we were both extremely disappointed with the appalling level of service we received especially in view of the prices charged. My mother had booked a table a couple of weeks in advance, however, when we went to be seated there seemed to be a high degree of confusion as to whether the booking had been taken or altered and we were eventually seated at a table in the bar, together with some other diners, without apology. The table was a mess with newspapers scattered all over it as well as debris from previous diners. We actually had to ask one of the staff to clean the table and also to bring us some cutlery. The cutlery they eventually brought was insufficient and we had to ask for some more after we had finished our starter. The food and wine was as usual good, if on the pricey side, however the service was memorably bad and one of the worst experiences I have ever had in terms of hospitality which is why I have given an average rating.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Helen L
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The restaurant was very over priced and the waitress added drinks to our bill which were not ours. Overall I would not come back again. The food aims at a la carte standard but falls short and the price is far too high. I had steak which was a small poor cut with chips tomato and mushroom poorly presented on the plate. Wouldnt recommend

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank misterfriday86
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Been going here for years and years, the food has always been top quality, The Staff have always looked after me and my friends in every way possible and they have a fantastic selection of amazing beer.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
elizabethMellor, Owner at The Anchor, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Alun,
Thank you for your long and loyal support, we love looking after you and your friends and always will. It is worth so much to have the support of customers who have known us since the begining.
All the team really value your taking the time to write a review.
See you soon,
SOphie

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I have been visiting the Anchor Inn for the last 8 Years. I am now lucky enough to live here & call it my local, which happens to be a great place to eat & drink - everybody is catered for. The food is fantastic, maybe because Sophie & her staff are so passionate about it, the atmosphere relaxed, the service helpful & friendly. All the ingredients for the perfect pub. I have eaten here many times & never been disappointed. I think it is hard to get everything just right, but most of the time, well in my case all of the time, they do.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review, as you know it makes such a difference to the team. We try really hard to make everyone feel special when they are here, but it does occasionally get quite busy. . I hope we see you again soon.
Best wishes,
Sophie

Also consider these accommodations in or near Walberswick
The Ship at Dunwich
#1 of 1 in Westleton
Sail Lofts
Sail Lofts
#17 of 19 in Southwold

Been to The Anchor? Share your experiences!