“Best buy to kick start a healthier life style”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Battle
The Slimmeria Retreat
London, United Kingdom
“Best buy to kick start a healthier life style”
Reviewed 13 October 2011

My adult daughter and I stayed at Slimmeria for a whole week. Slimmeria is located in an old Georgean building beautifully decorated to high standarts. Our days were full of activities; we didn't even notice how fast time flied by. I loved starting our days with long country walks, followed by exercise and yoga classes. We were pampered with massages and facials in the afternoons and had more activities in the evenings, Belly Dancing being the favorite! We were comfortable with the quantity of daily food, never felt deprived and found meals to be tasty and elegantly served. The owner Galia is friendly, caring and tries very hard to please her guests. I had never written a review for anything before; I am glad I finally got around to writing one for Slimmeria; this way I can extend my personal thanks to Galia. We had a fabulous week and would love to go back for detox, weight loss, healthy living or just for a relaxing week in the beautiful English Countryside.

Room Tip: The roooms I saw were all beautifully decorated but the room you stay in is not too critical because...
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2011

I have recently come back from a few days ( could not manage the whole week due to work commitments) from Slimmeria. Firstly Gallia could not have been nicer from allowing me to arrive a day later than her other guests and leaving a day earlier! even though the program is a seven day one. I have been to a few detox and spa retreats over the years but the approach here is not for the faint hearted, yes you get the lovely treatments and more that come with staying at a retreat like this but the combination of strict food control and supervised exercise every day, starting with an early morning walk ( 2 hours) an hour workout with various trainers and then an hours yoga and all this before lunch, and then an evening activity for an hour. I am not hugely overweight but really did need to lose a few pounds and I was astounded when in just the four days left 7lbs lighter than when I arrived, but much more than this is the ethos that I will be taking away with me, it has truly shown me how to change my habits with realistic goals, so Gallia I just want to say a huge THANK YOU and I know where to come if I need another boost from your fantastic place.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Dawn P
Reviewed 1 October 2011

The setting is beautiful but this is a tough week if, like me you had been living a very unhealthy life. The detox headache and withdrawals made me almost leave day 2 but by the last day, I felt fit and could see some muscle definition. Not to mention that I lost one stone.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the large bedrooms on the first floor
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Beyondthecakehole
London
Reviewed 28 September 2011

I went to Slimmeria for 1 week in July. It was one tough week but I got the desired results I lost a total of 9 pounds and have lost another 2 or 3 since. For me the hunger was the toughest thing, the exercise and the walks are great, not actually that strenuous but when you are so hungry! The house and surroundings are georgeous, I really enjoyed my week there, I am so happy with my weight loss it has really kick started me back into a healthy lifestyle. I can't recommend this place enough but it will be tough and you need to be determined!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Newers
Daventry
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Other reviewers have described the programme (and the web site is pretty accurate there too). I have done a a variety of fitness based retreats and boot camps so this was a different experience for me. I am used to exercise so was able to enjoy the exercise elements without feeling too challenged - but the yoga/stretch classes were beneficial and you can work to your own level in the walks and fitness class.

I was fortunate not to get 'detox' symptoms- but Galia deals well with the realities of the regime for the majority (would recommend if you are a big coffee drinker to cut it down or out before you go and also to get some exercise in so it is all not too much of a shock to your system - basically - folow the pre arrival guidelines you are sent including the kit list guidelines!!). Surroundings are lovely - with great countryside and seaside close by - I came back feeling very relaxed and having lost more weight than I thought I could achieve for the time we were there. I have struggled to keep it off and have gained some of my loss- but have been on holiday for 10 days since my return so hoping I will get back in control of it.
some reviewers have raised concerns about the amount of food- it is tasty and beautifully presented - and whilst there is not a lot (and you will learn to love all varieties of cabbage!)- it is manageable - and after all - it is how Galia gets great results. It does make you realise how much we usually overeat.

Worth the investment for the time you are there. A friend and I went on the summer offer - so really good value for us - we were in a standard room - which was more than adequate as the common areas are comfortable for relaxing in if you don't want to spend extra time in your room. We chose to stick with a standard room and have some treatments (which were well executed and added to the experience). Impressive touches were the offer of room cleaning/towel changes (which I have not experienced at any other place I have attended)

Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank villager92
Reviewed 24 September 2011

The host Galia proves that weight loss is just a question of discipline and sticking to a plan. Anyone can lose weight while staying at Slimmeria.

I didn't have much to lose - 69 kg down to 66 kg, 3 kilos gone in 4 days, and a further kilo when I got home. The amount of food is minimal - hot water with lemon at 7.30am, 2-hour walk in the countryside - either along the beach or in the fields - a pleasure rather than hard work - then fruit juice and 2 hrs of exercise - a 1hr curcuits class and 1hr gentle yoga. Spa treatments in the afernoon, relaxing by the pool, chat with other guests, reading lots of lifestyle magazines while in the light comfy airy lounge, dinner and a dance class. Bed time at 9.30am, plenty of rest. Extra walks are optional and are recommended. Food was very light - salad or veggie soup - was hungry for the first 2 days, but on the 3rd day got used to the amount. The benefit is absolutely no alcohol (my vice) and I went back home to eat smaller portions. So far 1 month later I have maintained what I lost. The exercises are moderate, anyone could do them - a bit hard for me, as I never go to the gym, but they were palatable by day 4. Much easier than a personal trainer who once made me do burpees and run 2 miles on a treadmill - nothing like that in Slimmeria -just lunges, squats, some boxersize and upper body weight work.

On the morning trips you get to see the seaside - historic Hastings - or you can go all the way to Battle abbey. Enjoable walk, sometimes uphill - very reasonable level for a moderately fit person. The countryside around Battle is beautiful - I would love to come there to de-stress, not necessarily lose weight. The property has an outdoor pool, that's not heated, a welcome plunge after a peculiar steam sauna box. Various therapists are being invited for massage and facials.

Negatives? well, I booked late so ended up staying in a twin room with single beds that were not that comfortable - the interior of the recently restored house is magnificent but a little spartan - I am a fan of baths not showers - a bath in every room would be a bonus after a hard's day exercise - maybe something for the future!

Otherwise, enjoyed my time there a lot and forgot all about daily life in London. Visiting in August is recommended as if you get hungry, there are plenty of fresh blackberries in the woods, there is golf and horse-riding nearby. The estate has a little vineyard with plenty of rabbits - you will have a calming countryside experience.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Brummeltrull
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2011

I originally wanted to go on a full blown boot camp for 7 days but due to shin splints i was advised not to, so i thought this would be the next best thing - it turned out that it was even better than a boot camp!

I wasnt under any illusion it wasnt going to be hard going, and when i got there i realised that i was right not to be. It is a very hard week and yes you will feel hungry and tired but that is normal. You can survive on what you eat in the day and its not unhealthy! I participated in every exercise class, and went on a couple of extra walks and i lost 11 pounds in 5 days!!

I would recommend this to anyone of any age, I have met all ages this past week and everyone was very supportive and we got on well as a group. Galia who runs it is a very lovely lady who makes sure you are alright and will look after you all the way through. I will be going back next year no doubt about it. Kathryn (23)

Room Tip: I shared a bathroom and it was fine, so choose what ever you can afford!!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Kathryn_88_11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Battle
PowderMills Country House Hotel
#3 of 11 in Hastings
Leeford Place Hotel
Leeford Place Hotel
#3 of 5 in Battle

Been to The Slimmeria Retreat? Share your experiences!