“As wonderful as 14 years ago!”

PowderMills Country House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Battle
North Cyprus
“As wonderful as 14 years ago!”
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Our last visit to Powdermills was 14 years ago! At the time we had two large dogs and took them with us and they were made most welcome and loved the walks in the woods. We saw the Travelzoo offer and thought we must return. It is a delightful hotel but it has its quirks which I feel add to the enjoyment. Let me get the negatives over first. The food was excellent apart from I chose the duck for dinner which I had to leave some of it as it was chewy. The waiter asked if there was a problem and I told him it was chewy. He said he would speak to the chef.......nothing whatever happened after that. After dinner my husband was looking forward to the real ales, requested a pint of draught...."sorry it's off. It will be back on tommorrow". Not much good that evening plus they had run out of bottled real ales too. My husband was not happy. From entering into our room we tried to get internet, were told they had changed providers and would give us a new password. In spite of endless trips to reception we had no internet during the whole visit, which was important to my husbands business.

Positives, the hotel is in a stunning location surrounded by lakes and woods which really are a delight. The room was spotless and the food apart from the duck was excellent.

The hotel has an outdoor pool and in spite of us visiting towards the end of May, was being used by guests. There are tea and coffee making facilities in the room and included in our deal was a lovely cream tea with home made scones. Delicious.

We had gone on a Travelzoo deal and so didn't want to make a fuss about the three negatives but were asked at the end of our stay if we had enjoyed it and had we filled in the questionaire. We told them there wasn't one in our room and they said "oh".

I would love to give this hotel 5 but because of the three negatives, I have to give four but I did feel it was value for the money we paid.It was not enough to stop us visiting another time as the location is second to none and so peaceful.

Room Tip: I imagine most rooms are excellent. If ours was one of the "cheaper" ones because we were...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Plymouth UK
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We were at the hotel for a wedding breakfast and evening disco: all I can say is that the food was excellent and the staff most helpful. There is a wonderfully calm and relaxed atmosphere to the hotel reminiscent of a comfortable country house.

Room Tip: We did not stay overnight so cannot comment.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Sussex
Reviewed 22 May 2012

My wife and I celebrated our 1st wedding anniversary at the PowderMills Hotel and over all we had a lovely time in what is a very beautiful location.
We managed to find a very good deal on travelzoo which included afternoon cream tea, dinner and breakfast.

On arrival we were warmly welcomed and shown to our room, which we upgraded to an executive with a terrace over looking the fantastic lake. Unfortunately no.40, the room we were allocated, isnt the one to have. The main problem being that directly underneath the patio doors is the air extractor for the kitchens. We tried to sit outside and enjoy sitting in the sun but the stench of food was a bit over bearing! Fortunately after a brief chat with the receptionist we were moved and also upgraded again, to a junior suite which was very generous.

The suite was very nice, but along with the other room we saw, it could be so much nicer for a thorough clean. I'm not saying it was filthy dirty but just the silly things like dirty windows and fag butts on the patio. Also, annoyingly, the heating kept randomly coming on during the night despite the fact that I'd turned the thermostat all the way down. Annoying because it spoilt a nice nights sleep. The 4 poster bed looked nice but was just a cheap bed, which had clearly seen a bit of action from the amount of rocking it did. Very noisy (if you get me).
Oh, and there was a pair of someone's old smelly socks in one of the cupboards too!

Cream tea was delicious and served by one of the many polite and friendly staff.

We walked our tea cakes off with a stroll around the lake, which was lovely with the sun shining.

Dinner - wow. We were really amazed with the food in the orangery restaurant and in my opinion its not far off fine dining. The service was second to none as well. We had a lovely meal with wine and a quiet drink in the bar afterwards. Unfortunately we had to ask for service at the bar though.

Breakfast was also very enjoyable. Nice hot food was served up along with good strong coffee. The choice of cereals and fruits were good also. Great service from the friendly staff again.

Overall, a charming hotel with top notch staff and fantastic food. I'd like to think we were just unlucky with the niggles we had with rooms. We would certainly come back again at some point in the future.

Room Tip: Not no.40! Rooms around the small pond may suffer from bird noise in the early hours.
surrey
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I agree with all the previous comments, this is a little gem of a hotel. Yes parts of it are a bit faded i.e. the carpet in the main area and up the stairs but I guess that is what we would call shabby chic. The standard room was excellent for a standard room and I can just guess that an upgraded room would be spectacular. The food has to be the best we have eaten anywhere for a very long time and very generous portions including as much home made bread as you can eat. The waiting staff are so well trained and polite, they are a real credit to the hotel management. Wonderful choice for breakfast, in fact I would say this hotel has to be one of the nicest we have every stayed in and hopefully we will be able to make a return visit.

1 Thank sofieuk
South Wales
Reviewed 14 May 2012

We had a one night cream tea, dinner bed and breakfast deal at a very reasonable price. We were impressed from the moment we came up the drive - what a beautiful setting! The staff were busy because there was a wedding party but they welcomed us and settled us into the library for our cream tea (fabulous scones!) with very little delay. Our rooms were just lovely and the decoration of the hotel, although faded in places, is charming and the beautiful antiques, mostly georgian, certainly add to the character. We had a superb dinner - I cannot fault it - with the service perfectly coordinated by the charming maitre d. We also had an excellent breakfast followed by a walk around the splendid grounds and lakes. I would highly recommend this hotel and hope to return.

Room Tip: We had room 14 and were very happy with it. Recently refurbushed with new furniture it looks out ov...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Eastbourne East Sussex England
Reviewed 10 May 2012

The PowderMills Country House Hotel is as its name describes a country house that is a hotel. It is situated in an idyllic setting, beautiful grounds with large lakes full of wildfowl complete with young. Wild birds abound and the air was full of their song. The hotel itself could not be faulted. Great service attentive staff and superb food in the restaurant. A wonderful touch was that as it was my wife's birthday and I mentioned it to the maitre D, her dessert appeared with happy birthday incribed around the plate accompanied by a glass of champagne. The maitre d Mr Pereira was old school, polished and efficient. Will be back.

Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I have stayed at the powdermills several times and but had nothing but excellent service.The location is wonderfull with sunning views of the lake.We book a room that looks out onto the lake rooms 40 and 41.I have also attanded a christmas party evening which was excellent although we thought we might have to stay another night due to the snow!!!! I couldnt think of a better place to stay.Food is excellent both dinner and breakfast.Staff friendly.The only criticism is that it has such a small reception desk and when you have lots of guests checking in or out it it can be a little disorganised.Lovely to see the owners dogs running around the hotel and grounds.A first class hotel and location.

Room Tip: I have stayed in the house room was quiet but quite small.Favourite rooms are looking onto the lake...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Battle
Claverton Country House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Bexhill-on-Sea
George Hotel
George Hotel
#5 of 5 in Battle

Been to PowderMills Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!