I would love to say a huge amount of positive things about Powdermills and not criticise it all, but I am afraid all was not quite as it should have been when we stayed there.
Firstly, the good points:
1. Very dog friendly and treated the dogs with huge love and respect.
2. Dining room service was excellent
3. The food was also excellent and reasonably priced. Great bread and breakfast was lovely too. Shame the tea at afternoon tea came in those cheap catering teapots rather than a china one though. I think I would expect that in a country house hotel.
4. Lovely place to be. Beautifully kept grounds and George the peacock was an added extra to wake up to outside the room.
5. When something did go wrong it was rectified fairly quickly.
The bad points:
1. Freezing cold rooms. Upon arrival greeted to really cold rooms which made us nearly turn round and go away again. The heating is turned off at night so if you wake up at 4am, it is really chilly. They definitely need to do something about this. The bar area is also cold as is the conservatory. It is winter, warm it up!
2. Afternoon tea and cakes, just not up to the standard expected. Mediocre cakes and that tea-pot!
3. Noisy when there is a big function.
4. slightly haphazard service during the day - a little bit fawlty towersish at times. One override to this, the lady on reception later in the day and on the sunday was quite charming.
5. Shame the rooms, which are nice enough, are not more country house hotelish rather than modern and mass hotel like.
I had been recommended this place by a couple of people, but there are better places to go for a really relaxing and pampering weekend.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotel.de, Traveltool, S.L.U., Odigeo, Priceline, HRS and HotelQuickly so you can book your PowderMills Country House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Powdermills Country Hotel
- Powdermills Country Battle
- PowderMills Country House Hotel Battle, East Sussex