“Fabulous experience”

PowderMills Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Battle
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I choose this establishment, based on previous trip adviser reviews I had read on this page, and we were not disappointed.

On arrival at the property after a one hour drive from the channel tunnel, we were met and the hotel door, by the owner, and our bags were unloaded from the car for us, and taken straight to our room, the hotel is an ancient property and just oozes character,

We were shown to our room, which was just fabulous, beautifully decorated, in a smart country style, with a huge on-suite bathroom, with marble floors, double sinks, loo, and walk in shower, everything you could ask for.
The bed was supremely comfortable, and was huge, the room had a wonderful view over the lake with ducks at the door, a nice touch was fresh roses in the room,i slept like a baby.

We ate in the restaurant on two evenings, both meals were fab, a good choice on the menu, but not overwhelming as in some other restaurants I have visited in the past, I had the asparagus to start, followed by the fish (sole), which was beautifully cooked and served on the plate, the deserts and cheese were also fab.

The restaurant has an excellent wine list, and the prices are good, let the head waiter, guide you, with your choice, and you will not go far wrong, as we did.

Mrs C had the beef as a main course, which she said, was perfectly cooked for her (well done), and the bit she let me taste was excellent, with a superb flavour, just as good beef should be.

On returning to the room, after a nightcap in the bar, (stocked with a good choice of whiskeys) we found the curtains in the room, had been drawn, and the bed turned down, a nice touch by the staff.

Breakfast, was also excellent, lots of choice, and extra dishes available to order if reqd, (bacon, eggs etc), and was good value for money in my book, not like your run of the mill continental breakfast

From the hotel it is an easy walk into Battle, which is no bad thing as parking in Battle itself is hell, and not cheap.

The hotel has its own private car park. Battle itself is a beautiful town, with plenty to see and do, to fill a weekend.

All in all a fab weekend away, we are already planning our return with friends for another weekend

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank davec06

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I would love to say a huge amount of positive things about Powdermills and not criticise it all, but I am afraid all was not quite as it should have been when we stayed there.

Firstly, the good points:
1. Very dog friendly and treated the dogs with huge love and respect.
2. Dining room service was excellent
3. The food was also excellent and reasonably priced. Great bread and breakfast was lovely too. Shame the tea at afternoon tea came in those cheap catering teapots rather than a china one though. I think I would expect that in a country house hotel.
4. Lovely place to be. Beautifully kept grounds and George the peacock was an added extra to wake up to outside the room.
5. When something did go wrong it was rectified fairly quickly.
The bad points:

1. Freezing cold rooms. Upon arrival greeted to really cold rooms which made us nearly turn round and go away again. The heating is turned off at night so if you wake up at 4am, it is really chilly. They definitely need to do something about this. The bar area is also cold as is the conservatory. It is winter, warm it up!
2. Afternoon tea and cakes, just not up to the standard expected. Mediocre cakes and that tea-pot!
3. Noisy when there is a big function.
4. slightly haphazard service during the day - a little bit fawlty towersish at times. One override to this, the lady on reception later in the day and on the sunday was quite charming.
5. Shame the rooms, which are nice enough, are not more country house hotelish rather than modern and mass hotel like.

I had been recommended this place by a couple of people, but there are better places to go for a really relaxing and pampering weekend.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Stayed for our fifth time at beginning of November and it was absolutely wonderful as usual. Lovely sitting in the Drawing Room with afternoon tea whilst reading as the rain battered the windows. As always dinner and wine was superb and was well complemented by excellent service. Lovely to round off the evening by sitting in the library with a nightcap. Our room was bright and clean and comfortable (room 11) and it is so nice to be able to run a bath with an endless supply of hot water which is unlike other places we have stayed where it can run out when half full. Very tasty breakfast with ample choice on offer and we were well looked after by the friendly waiter for whom nothing was too much trouble. Would thoroughly recommend PowderMills for a stay - there is so much to enjoy including the fabulous grounds, waterfowl, George the peacock as well as the friendly and helpful staff and beautiful food. Thank you PowderMills we will back for our sixth visit on our next wedding anniversary.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gary S
Reviewed 5 November 2013

There isn't a lot to criticise about PowderMills but on the whole I thought that it was rather expensive compared with other good quality establishments we have visited recently. We paid £160 for a superior room with breakfast and first impressions were pretty good - very friendly check-in staff, beautiful old traditional feel to the reception and quite glorious grounds. Our room (41) had sliding patio windows (which I couldn't lock) to the garden and the lake and overall, the decoration was really lovely and the room spotlessly clean. I can't quite put my finger on the slight disappointment with the accommodation and I almost feel that I am being unfair - maybe it was the fact that it was a queen bed or maybe we had just been spoilt by spending the previous night at the Grand in Brighton for about the same money? Anyway I really am being subjective and of course it's all about personal taste. Drinks in the bar before attending the Battle Bonfire celebrations went down well and reception duly obliged in organising a taxi for the purpose. Breakfast next morning was in the lovely Conservatory / Orangery and it was as good as it comes. Plenty of cereal, fruit and juices choice and the served hot breakfast comprised eggs (we chose poached), bacon, sausage, mushrooms, tomato, baked beans (ordered separately) and black pudding. Thick white and brown toast with decent coffee complimented the breakfast very well. Really liked the idea of individual "pots" of brown sauce (same as normal mini jam pots!).

Check out was efficient and courteous. I would certainly recommend the hotel despite my earlier comments.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank andyccpc
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Stayed just two nights. And will most definitely repeat our visit as often as time and commitment allows. My Wife and I originally planned our stay here so that we could attend a "Murder Mystery Dinner" but had we known how beautiful the whole site is, and how good the food is, it would have been on the list of places to visit a lot sooner. Conveniently situated for visiting the Sussex Coastal Resorts, and even Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells are quite close to hand.

Room Tip: Pick any Room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Booked a junior suite for an overnight stay. Had high tea in our room which was beautifully presented and very tasty. We then discovered a problem with the plumbing and were immediately moved and upgraded to the Lake Suite. What can I say about this amazing and beautiful room. It was huge and luxurious. The evening meal was beautifully presented and very tasty. My only small gripe was about the selection of main courses available that night. A lot of game dishes which don't appeal to everyone. However, that said the service was superb. Breakfast was excellent. All of the staff were friendly and attentive and went out of their way to help. Thank you Powdermill Hotel we will be back outstanding without fault.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and went on 2 long walks during our stay. We stayed in Room 7, which is next to the stairs and a fire door so there were some noise issues late at night and early in the morning. The room and bathroom were spotlessly clean and all the hotel staff were very friendly and welcoming. The highlight however was the fantastic food in the Orangerie restaurant. We intended to just eat there on Friday night, but were so impressed that we ate there on Saturday night as well. The 2/3 course prix fixe menu and wine list put many exclusive restaurants to shame. The full english breakfast was also very good, according to my husband. My one gripe is that although advertised on the continental breakfast menu, there was no Charcuterie at the buffet table on either Saturday or Sunday morning which left me feeling a bit short changed.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Battle
Claverton Country House Hotel
The Brickwall Hotel
The Brickwall Hotel
#2 of 2 in Sedlescombe
The Mermaid Inn

Been to PowderMills Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!