“Great 50th Birthday treat”

PowderMills Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Battle
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This was a surprise birthday treat by my two friends. I had never been here before but always wanted to and it was perfect, the grounds are stunning, as it was my birthday the waiter gave me a glass of champagne which was a lovely touch, the food was wonderful and the staff professional and really nice. I would definitely recommend it here and especially for a wedding. hope to have an excuse to return maybe for a special occasion. Loved it. It was def value for money. We were only here for lunch so cannot comment on the rooms

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Suzy1eastbourne

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We booked a few days here just to get away. We had eaten in the restaurant on previous occasions and like what we saw so decided to stay when next in the area. The grounds are vast with lakeside walks and wildlife all to see. There is an outside pool which seemed popular with some guests but would be a tad noisy in the school holidays so best avoid then is tranquility is your preference.

We stayed in the 'annex' facing part of the car park and the smaller lake, those facing the opposite direction overlook the pool and all have large balconies. Rooms in the original house have character but avoid the standard rooms as some tend not to have any view. If you are on a tight budget fine but the upgrade is well worth it. The rooms are very comfortable and include the usual tea/coffee making facilities, TV etc.

We did not dine in the evenings as we had other arrangements but if the breakfast is anything to go by then the evening menu must be something you will enjoy.

They do cater for weddings so unless you are not part go the wedding entourage then it is best to avoid those days. If it is for your wedding then it is probably one of the most scenic venues in the area.

We could not fault the service, and friendly staff could not do enough to please. Perfect.

This one is definitely on the must stay again list, but longer next time.

Room Tip: Room 34 is in the annex looking over the small lake and part of the car park. Could be noisy if ther...
1  Thank FirstStrategy
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I got married at the Powdermills 5 years ago and wanted somewhere to celebrate my parents 65th Wedding Anniversary-they offered me the use of the Drawing Room and Georgian Room and we had a traditional high tea for all the family-everything from the sandwiches, scones, jam and clotted cream and an assortment of homemade cakes, all superb and so fresh. The staff kept us topped up with drinks and the Chef made a superb cake for my parents on request-heaven! Beautiful surroundings, great service, excellent value for money, thank you Powdermills for another great day and thank you to Becky and Stella at the Powdermills for ticking all the boxes for us. The whole family, especially my parents were delighted, see you soon and thank you. Great place for photos, top and bottom lake, swimming pool and the hotel Peacock and ducks!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Chrissy E
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We visited this hotel 5 years ago and liked it ok but the service and our rooms were average. This time round we had the most fantastic time. We arrived unexpectedly after a hideous experience at The Cooden Beach hotel 15 minutes away where we had to leave straight after checking in. Powdermills couldn't have been more of a contrast. I stayed with my children and my mother and our dogs and the reception staff bent over backwards to accommodate us. Service was hugely improved, hotel and grounds beautifully maintained and we had a wonderful break. Outdoor Pool was idyllic. The breakfast was especially good (easily 4 *) with the morning head waiter especially welcoming and helpful. Criticisms are that with children if you want to eat the less sophisticated menu in the evening, you are not allowed to eat in the restaurant and are relegated to the conservatory. Easily fixed if they offered a couple of plainer alternatives alongside the main menu. The grounds are great for walking (we took our dogs and they were very accommodating).
Also room 2 on the ground floor smells very damp and is pretty dark. My mum had this room last time and it was the same and although the room has been refurbished, the damp smell is still a problem.
Overall, this is a great hotel. I'd have no hesitation recommending it (and the chocolate pudding that melts infront of you). It's very convenient for the sights of Battle whilst the tranquility makes you feel 100 miles away.
Will definitely go back.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Cricketmadkids
Michelle G, Manager at PowderMills Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Dear Cricketmadkids,

Thank you for taking the time to review PowderMills Hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience at PowderMills; and that you were well accommodated whilst you were here.

I have passed on your praises to the Chef for the breakfast, after recently receiving our 2nd AA Rosette in The Orangery Restaurant we are happy our Guests are enjoying our menus.
I have noted down your comments on children and the Restaurant Policy, I appreciate your feedback on this and I will be reviewing and discussing this with the Restaurant Manager and Head Chef.

Whilst PowderMills is situated in 150 acres of beautiful parks, lakes and woodlands with plenty of wildlife, we are pleased you were able to enjoy this with your dogs – I’m sure they were in heaven!

Thank you for commenting on Room 2. Unfortunately, this seems to be a re-occurring problem at the moment and we are in the process of sorting this. Until then, we are refraining from selling the room.

I am delighted you would recommend PowderMills to your friends and family, and we look forward to welcoming you back to PowderMills Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We were lucky enough to stay in the lake suite (43) which my husband had booked as a surprise for me for our anniversary. The approach to the hotel is extremely pretty with a lovely lake and gardens with plenty of seating to sit and enjoy the view. The welcome we received from the receptionist was warm and friendly. I have to say I was rather overwhelmed by both the accommodation and the amazing views of the lake from our lounge. I cannot emphasise enough how beautiful the grounds are and to be able to have that view from our apartment, which was situated to the back of the hotel, was truly the best. The suite itself was huge and extremely comfortable. We stayed for two nights, eating in the restaurant on both nights. The food was superb and the service very good in the restaurant, however, we were a little disappointed that there was never anyone "manning" the bar and we always had to ask if someone could come and serve us. The bar also was very busy on the Saturday as a wedding was taking place and it was impossible to get a drink without joining the long queue so we gave up in the end. Nevertheless, we had a fabulous stay at this beautiful hotel and would definitely return.

Room Tip: Suite 43 is situated to the back of the hotel with beautiful views of lake.
3  Thank Juliewoo14
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We were there with our family for Mother's Day 2014. The menu was limited to the set menu as a busy day, but everyone had a choice available. The portions for the meat seemed enormous, and my fish was cooked to perfection and well presented.
The service was efficient and friendly without being intrusive.
The meal was our gift to my mother in law and went down very well!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Penny198
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We arrived at the hotel after 2pm after a long drive. Our first impression was what a lovely setting. The hotel overall was lovely too. What we were not impressed with was that we could not get any food until at least 3.30pm which was only afternoon tea and our restaurant booking was not until 8.30pm. We then got back in the car looking for somewhere to eat. We ended up driving to Bexhill where food was served all day. Also when we arrived back at the hotel we were taken to our room no 5. I have to say that it was the smallest double room we have ever stayed in. We could only open the bathroom door a little without it hitting the bed. It looked like it used to be a cupboard. It was very hot and claustrophobic as the window only opened a little. When we got up on sunday morning we could not even make a cup of tea as the kettle only boiled for so long and then cut out.

There was also a wedding going on and it definately dominated the hotel during the afternoon and even trying to get a drink at the bar was impossible.

We paid £120 for the night and for what we got it seemed too overpriced.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Michelle G, Manager at PowderMills Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear Sharon G,

Thank you for your review on PowderMills Hotel following your recent experience.

I am pleased you think PowderMills Hotel is in a lovely setting, and that the Hotel is lovely. We do take pride in the atmosphere and environment which we portray; therefore it is always a delight to hear that our Guests enjoy the picturesque grounds as much as we do.

I can only apologise for your disappointment in not being able to order food on your arrival. We serve Lunch between 12:00pm and 1:45pm on a daily basis, then Afternoon Tea between 3:30pm and 5:30pm from which you can order sandwiches, cakes or scones separately, or our larger High Tea’s which include Sandwiches, a selection of cakes and scones.

I have investigated your comments with regards to your accommodation. The lady with whom you spoke to on Reception is our Senior Receptionist; she has informed me that when she spoke to you on the telephone to make your reservation that she did explain that we only had a Smaller Double Room available or a Standard Twin. You were given the option of either room, and our Senior Receptionist recommended the Twin Room as it was bigger than the Small Double Room, however you declined the Twin as you wanted a double room; your confirmation stated the accommodation type as Small Double.

After reading your comment about the kettle, I immediately checked myself. Unfortunately, I did not encounter the same problem, I filled the kettle up to boil and it boiled fine and clicked off.

We do welcome constructive feedback; if you would like to discuss any of your comments further please do not hesitate to contact me,

Many thanks

Also consider these accommodations in or near Battle
Claverton Country House Hotel
The Abbey Hotel
The Abbey Hotel
#4 of 5 in Battle
The Mermaid Inn

Been to PowderMills Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!