“Understaffed”

Price range: US$8 - US$33
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The setting is lovely and the food good. The staff were all friendly but were clearly understaffed and could not deal with this volume of trade on a sunny bank holiday Monday. We have up hope of getting the vegetables which should have come with the fish pie and the extra bread for the ploughmans.

1  Thank ksd1963

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We visited the Squirrel Inn today for my husbands birthday. I phoned ahead and they stated they had a table at 12 pm or one at 4 pm. I chose the one at 12pm and we arrived directly on time to be shown to our reserved table. All great.

Our drinks order was taken and then our food order. At 1.00p.m we were still waiting for our food, which when it arrived was good. However, whilst waiting for ours we overheard a concerned parent asking if the chicken burger came with chesse as her child was dairy intolerant. She stated that this was not on the menu and the bar staff agreed that the Sunday Menu was not as clear as the usual one. In this day and age, I am surprised that a mistake like this can be made when people are so aware of dietary needs.

We ate our food and then waited to be asked for the desert menu which was requested and then took a further request to get. Deserts arrived and were eaten and then at 2.00 p.m a member of staff informed us quite rudely that we need to leave the table as we had been there 2 hours. 1 hour of which was spent waiting for our food order and our food to arrive hardly our fault. I asked for the bill and then proceeded to wait even longer for this. Therefore I went to stand at the bar, where I waited again. Then the rude member of staff asked me for my bill, the same member of staff who I had requested it from and I explained that I still had not received it. He then managed to find the bill he had left at the end of the bar instead of giving to us and I paid.

As there are so many amazing places to eat in this area, we will not be returning. Unfortunatley, one very rude member of staff means that my husband's birthday meal was ruined and the other members of staff did not receive a tip from us. I apolgise to them for this.

I for one am looking forward to White's arriving in Battle where the staff, if they are anything like the ones in Hastings, will be fantastically polite and friendly.

1  Thank Gail H
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The sign outside says if you haven’t stopped you’ve missed a great pub and they are not lying. Great service and the best food I’ve had in a long time.... we are new to the area and this was a golden find!!

Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

We visited the Squirrel with family on a recommendation and We were not disappointed. The organisation for the sittings was spot on. No long queues at the carvery as you were called to go up a table at a time. The meat was tender and massive portions. All the veg was freshly cooked with leeks in a white sauce making a nice change. We were all totally full afterwards but my partner managed to save room for the bread and butter pudding with marmalade sauce. He really enjoyed it. The price for the carvery was good value for money.

Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

Living in Hastings old town we are spoilt for choice with so many amazing places to eat, but sometimes you want to get away from the mayhem, especially this weekend. It was worth the drive out of Hastings and into Battle, having never been to The Squirrel before had read many good reviews and glad that we went and taken our visiting family.
Didn’t know about the carvery until we arrived.
Table booked for 2pm, that’s the start of the 2nd sitting, you don’t have to go and join a large queue, you get called up by table, very well organised.
A fantastic selection of meats, we all had some of the pork belly with crackling which was AMAZING the rare beef melted in my mouth. A great selection of well cooked vegetables, whilst no cauliflower cheese, the creamed leeks and cabbage mix was delicious and made up for it!
Glad we never had starters as wouldn’t have been able to do justice to the roast, and then no room for pudding, or in fact any more food that day!
You could still order alternatives other than the carvery.
The service despite being busy was very good, and attentive.
Great recommendation from our waitress to me on the lemongrass cordial to have with my soda water, great juice for the driver!!!!
Will come back to sample the evening menu soon
Thanks for a lovely lunch, was great to get out of Hastings for a change