“Quaint, but disappointing food.”

Mrs Burton's Restaurant and Tea Room
Ranked #10 of 52 Restaurants in Battle
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 11 September 2018

Called here after visiting the Abbey and looking around Battle. It looked quaint and charming, but the food proved to be disappointing. A bowl of soup - easy to get right - tasted only of curry powder. A large scone, heated in a microwave, was also disappointing. These are basic things, and as I say, should be easy to produce and make delicious if that's your business. Walking back to the car we noticed other places on the high street, not as quaint but probably offering better quality food.

Reviewed 11 September 2018

The food is always good here. Basic sort of menu but really well made and presented. For a typical British cafe experience this is exactly the sort of place to head to! The staff are patient and friendly. Good selection of teas and a decent coffee machine. I recommend a window seat and watch the world go by. It's fairly small and has a cosy feel. Dogs welcome.

Reviewed 20 August 2018

I've recently moved to Battle and this was my first visit to Mrs Burton's with a friend who was down form London for the weekend. Nice friendly atmosphere, great cream tea, reasonably priced and good location (my friend had a view of Battle Abbey). Lovely building and interior. Will definitely go back.

Reviewed 17 August 2018 via mobile

After our trip to Battle Abby we were feeling very peckish and Mrs Burtons looked lovely so we went in. Staff were very helpful and I was excited upon noticing a ploughmans lunch with side salad on the menu as did my wife, well we were very very disappointed with what turned up which was more salad with a side of ploughmans ! A whole plate of salad, a slice of ham, half a party size pork pie, a sliver of Stilton and 6 small silver skin pickled onions would not keep any farm worker satisfied till dinner time

1  Thank Kerry C
Reviewed 15 August 2018 via mobile

Visited today with Mum. We both had the ploughman’s lunch and tea for 2. Food is always fresh, comes quickly, staff are friendly. A place we’ll always visit when we visit Battle. The restaurant is quaint and old fashioned which I like when visiting an old quaint town.