“attic room”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Battle
Dagenham, England, United Kingdom
“attic room”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Firstly would like to comment on staff only saw one person, was not given any info about the hotel. Then there was the stair case which was a spiral case which was hard to walk up as I have a disability and the room was right at the top. The room was very basic and very poor condition ,really could do with abit of tlc,,as we walked up the stairs a door was lefted opened which must have been where staff sleep and wasn't very nice to see. over all could do with a make over, car park very cramp and entrance wasn't very pleasant, as the front is a restaurant to and entire different place not to do with the hotel. Not happy person no one to say good bye too, just a box to leave your key very sad, room was to out dated and wallpaper not very nice, we didn't stay for breakfast wasn't going to see what else we had in store,and only had one pillow each .

Room Tip: don't stay
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Bristol
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I had been really looking forward to a break for a couple of days and The George was very convenient for what was planned. It proved easy to locate down the high street and the parking was ample. However, the hotel reception lacked a welcome both in its environment and in its personnel. It wasn't attended by staff to meet and greet you with a smile but a notice informing you that you couldnt book in until after 2pm and could I phone a number for staff attendance. Someone did come after a few minutes and without a smile checked our name and promptly asked for payment. I must admit that in having stayed in some very nice hotels I am used to paying at the end of my stay and not when I havent set foot in the room. The upstairs bedroom was light, airy and a reasonable size. In settling into the room the plug in the sink did not work properly so I couldnt use the wash hand basin and then we discovered why the room was so airy; the sash window was broken and proped open with a block of wood. The bedroom was above a busy high street so we proped the window open with a pillow to get some air but to attempt to reduce the noise from street level. Unfortunately that proved fruitless as the noise carried on through the night into the early hours with several extremely loud men in the room next door. Their 6am wake up call was an excellent attempt to wake everyone on that floor with extensive loud knocking at the door followed by shouting and lengthy, loud debate. About half an hour later they left the room and noise levels returned to that of delivery vehicles stopping outside and delivering goods and general busy traffic. I did use the reception telephone to contact staff that morning to ask if those people had vacated and I was assured they had. We did not breakfast at the hotel so cannot comment on the use of that facility but other lounge areas downstairs were let out to a restaurant. We ate there on the first evening and whilst the food was good the welcome and service was very poor with nobody checking if everything was fine when we had started to eat. I eventually got up and had to go and ask someone for a refill drink. The second evening was spent in the Thai Restaurant next door. We received a very warm welcome, excellent hospitality and excellent value for money with superb cuisine. Thank goodness for that! So, after 2 sleepless nights in a hotel with albeit comfortable beds we left via reception and to a box where the keys went. There was nobody to thank or say "Goodbye" to - or to thank us as customers!

Room Tip: Best sleep in the car.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Sandy B

Travellers are raving about these Battle hotels

Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2013

My partner has written her review already but I just had to add my views. Reception was a phone number you had to call. The room size was fine but the plug got jammed in the sink, although it was removed by a member of staff it rendered the sink unusable. The shower unti was very loose and made you nervous to use it in case it fell off. The noise from the men in the room opposite and in the corridor late at night was ridiculous, necessitating me having to get out of bed and telling them to be quiet. The window was propped up by a length of wood so all the traffic noise from the busy street outside kept us all awake. At 6am the next morning the men started banging on the doors and shouting to wake each other up, I once again had to get up and tell them to be quiet, delivery lorries were unloading right outside the window. For our 2 nights here I had about 4 hours sleep, even our 10 year old was awake at 6am!
I'm pretty sure I won't be staying here again!

Room Tip: Not room 12 unless you are a heavy sleeper!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Uckfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

An overnight stay at The George in their 'Superior Room' was rather a gothic experience! We entered what looked like a cave covered in black wallpaper with a few white flowers thrown in for light relief to find a black wardrobe with a sort of ornate tower effect on top; black dressing table; black side tables and even black fridge with brown carpet to cheer it all up! Above us hung - yes you've guessed it - a black chandelier and because it didn't work and only two desultory black side lights on low energy bulbs were operational the effect was - yes - 'Back to Black'. The view out of the window was of the car park and the underside of a fire escape - just in case you couldn't stand it anymore! However, the room was spacious and quiet, the bed comfortable, and the pillows really soft.
The morning shower was comparable to a new Olympic watersport!! This was because one had to climb approx. two and a half feet up the side of the spa bath with one's head almost touching the ceiling to turn on the shower. A leap into the unknown had then to be undertaken into a deep well. Once accomplished I was fine but my husband, who is 6'3", had to shower like Quasimodo because the shower head was attached by a chain to the ceiling and, therefore, immovable!
The reception was like the Marie Celeste - a phone number was offered for those who needed emergency psychotherapy but generally it was DIY and you just threw your keys into a box when you left. We didn't have the breakfast, but it was unbelievably cheap for a full one at £5 and one of the guests told me it was lovely. They've franchised off the front part to Simply Italian and we had a splendid lunch there and in the evening we tottered across the car park to the Thai restaurant Sera Luna where we had a simply yummy meal. Battle itself was great - the people were really friendly, particularly the lovely lady in 'Fancy Pants' -a fancy dress hire place perfect for dressing up as Dracula to match the room - and although it was undoubtedly one of the weirdest hotel experiences we've ever had we really enjoyed it and would stay there again.

Room Tip: It's an old building so rooms, other than the superior ones, are rather small.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sandy T
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night in our connection trip. We decided to go to seaside for a weekend but with touching another cities. Our trip Starts at London Bridge with train into Tunbridge Wells than after some time we was going with bus to Battle. After reading some comments before really was expecting more worth. Its actually really nice Georgian style hotel. We need to wait quit a long for receptionist but its just a small problem. Room is was in attic. Its really nice with view in to Battle Abbey and some part of this charming city. Small but comfy bed. And nice bath.

From bad side when we tried to watch tv its always was showing no signal and just next morning i saw that Antenna was unplugged. And second problem with shower. its not giving enough stream. It means if u washing your head it will take a while to clean it.

P.S. Breakfast just £5 and they really worth it. I take full english breakfast and my wife had an omelette. WE was full up for half of day

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Faversham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2013

So, I read the recent reviews on this hotel after I'd booked it but decided to go with an open mind. I'm glad I did because it was absolutely fine. The reception is accessed from the car park and if I was being really critical, this area is a little bit tired but you don't stay in reception, do you?! We were early but the room was ready. The manager was very helpful, offered assistance with luggage, spoke to my kids etc etc. Our room was light and airy, spotlessly clean, comfy beds, fluffy towels and nice ensuite shower/wc. Our room overlooked the High Street so we were not bothered by the extractor fan that others talk about. I called reception for an extra pillow and one arrived in less than 5 minutes. We ate in the Italian next door in the evening, it was very good value with very generous portions! Breakfast was good and I didn't have to pay for the kids to eat
which was great.
This is an old Georgian Hotel so it is creaky and uneven and there is no lift. At this time of year it is hot, where isn't! There is nothing wrong with the curtains they are lined but the windows are big and its light early in summer, we put a blanket over the curtain, that did the trick.
Dont go expecting The Ritz but for the money it's great and it's location in Battle could not be better.

Room Tip: It would seem that rooms that face the front don't hear the extractor fan from the restaurant.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I booked two rooms here for a business stay in January '13.

Upon reaching the hotel, we discovered it had good parking out the back, which was handy as on street parking is poor. The hotel is centrally located in Battle, on the High Street, so has easy access to local pubs, restaurants and attractions.

The hotel, as noted in other reviews could do with a pretty hefty makeover really. Rooms are basic, and a little rough around the edges. It's not a million miles off, and mostly decor related which can easily be sorted. If the character could be retained, it would be a great hotel.

My room was freezing even after the radiator being on constantly, the radiator was undersized.

We had breakfast each morning which was tasty and to order, but the same guy seemed to be running the hotel and cooking.

I don't like picking holes in hotels, but this was hard to ignore. If the owners take notice of reviews I would recommend a few simple things:

- Snag list on decor of each room
- Correct heating of each room
- Updated bathroom appliances, not just floors and tiles.

Overall, I would say its got great potential and is ideally located, but for now, I'd give this one a miss personally.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Battle
Leeford Place Hotel
Claverton Country House Hotel
The Brickwall Hotel
The Brickwall Hotel
#2 of 2 in Sedlescombe

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!