“Value for money”
Review of George Hotel

George Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Battle
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We stayed here one Saturday night in February. The hotel itself is very basic but the rooms are spotlessly clean complete with clean and comfortable bedding. The bathroom was clean and offered a hot bath or shower. The gentleman looking after us was very welcoming and even helped to carry our bags up an extremely large spiral staircase to our room.
Ironically, the hotel itself backs onto a restaurant that I myself have not enjoyed in the past but I can see the advantage of eating here if you would rather not go out. We ourselves arrived late and left early so didn't partake of any meals or breakfast.
Excellent value for money, friendly hotelier & very welcoming. Free car parking at the rear which is very helpful in this area. We would stay again if passing through.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stayed here for one night on route to somewhere else. Good value for money. The room we stayed in was quite basic which really wasn't a problem but the beds and bedding very comfy and clean. There is an Italian Restaurant in this hotel which is very handy if you don't want to go far to eat.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Me & my husband stayed here for 1 night saturday 22nd Feb. We only paid £55 room only through Late.rooms. We thought this was good value for money. There is free parking. We were served at reception by a very helpful gentleman. Our room was large, clean, badic but adequate. The bathroom was large & newly decorated. Good shower with shower gel & shampoo. Room lovely & warm with new wall mounted flat screen 32 inch tv with lots of channels. Tea & coffee etc, large window looking out to High Street. Location of hotel is excellent, lots of eateries, shops & 5 minutes walk from the beautiful Abbey.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We booked into the George for a Sunday night along with some other family members. The website paints a fairly good picture of a nice 3* hotel in the center of town.
Whilst it is in the middle of Battle (couldnt get much of a better location) if is far from 'nice' and left me questioning where its 3 star rating came from. I think at a push 2 stars would be as far as I would go!
The reason for this:
The hotel is in a poor state, the 'wet floor' sign in the lobby was due to the leak in the ceiling, not the cleaner. The deserted reception offered no support at any point. The common areas are in a poor state of repair, with paint flaking, mold on the walls and cracks in the stair case.
The room was freezing, despite the radiator being on full. The bed had only one pillow, and there was only set of towels (despite it being a double room and there was two of us). The windows were in a poor state of repair having been bodged to stop the leaks. The bathroom was dated, missing wallpaper and the shower was mounted about 2 foot from the bath, so you had to sit in the bath to have a shower.
Breakfast was fine, budget ingredients at every level but it was cooked to order. The staff were helpful at breakfast - this was the only interaction with anyone we had.

In all, if you need a bed for a night, its in a good location but don't expect service, warmth or comfort.
If you book a romantic weekend away or family trip, based on the website images, you will be bitterly disappointed.

The hotel needs some major investment, customer service training and a bit of energy putting to it - it could be lovely.

Room Tip: Don't take an 'attic room'
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I had the most comfort,able two nights sleep. The bed and pillows were really lovely and comfy. The room was very reasonably priced too. I had originally booked a twin room, but on our arrival the friendly gentleman that helped us with our bags decided he would upgrade us to a nicer room. I found the building interesting and charming, especially the crooked staircase.Location perfect and off street parking a bonus. We were very comfortable.

The only downside was that the new headboards were made from a vinyl or plastic that gave off an unpleasant aroma, and we were unable to open the windows for fresh air.
Other than that it was great and would recommend it as a reasonably priced comfortable room.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My husband and I went here for weekend away when we arrived we called for reception and we was welcomed by yes what do you want ?? Room was pleasant but staff were rude and the noise was unbelievable kept us awake and to top it off we had to check out at 10am so started to get things ready had a shower and at 915 was no knock on the door but a man just walked in I was shocked and not impressed on my privacy being indruded didn't even knock all I was answered was oh we didn't no if you had left bearing in mind they had a box for keys if they had looked

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Zoe M
Reviewed 28 November 2013

My heart sank when we entered this hotel. We had been booked in by a friend for a wedding so had no prior knowledge of the hotel other than the price, for which I was expecting quite a nice place. We arrived and rang the door bell for about 5 minutes, with no answer, we then telephoned the hotel and the member of staff seemed confused that someone wanted to actually use the hotel. I guess we were eventually (about 20 minutes after we arrived) greeted by the poor lad who is mentioned in other reviews, who did as mentioned have quite limited English, however that didn't really matter, he was friendly and helpful and offered to carry our bags all the way up to the top room. The room itself was disappointing, it was dirty and tired, the sheets didn't look all that clean, the bed was against a wall and had no head board or anything. The bathroom was the worst, there was a bath with a shower hose that you had to hold up, but the ceiling wasn't really high enough and there wasn't a shower curtain, so I ended up kneeling in the bath, which wasn't exactly great! The ingredients for breakfast were cheap, it was cooked well though and the lady who cooked and served the breakfast was absolutely lovely, she really was, she talked to us about the history of the hotel and the surrounding area. The breakfast room was very relaxed and the staff that we met in there were all lovely. I was just disappointed by the room, and wasn't pleased that I had paid up front to stay for 2 nights. I will say though, we were staying as part of a wedding party, so we saw some other rooms, the luxury rooms with the floral wallpaper were nice and as I say the staff were too, so it might not be too bad overall.

Room Tip: Do not go in any of the top floor rooms, I was very naughty and peeked in them all as they were open...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ilovewham
Also consider these accommodations in or near Battle
Lansdowne
PowderMills Hotel & Restaurant
Royal Victoria Hotel
Royal Victoria Hotel
#1 of 1 in St Leonards-on-Sea

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!