All reviews flights of stairs bed was very comfortable comfortable stay tea and coffee short stay gels chap
Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

What a terrible place! I stayed in a twin room with my son during our move for 2 nights, paying £91 per night. There is no facility for breakfast and the room was awful.
The bath had no shower panel, this was wedged between the wall and the basin. If you showered, the water went all over the bathroom floor. The bath had some very dubious looking stains in the bottom of it and no plug-we had to ask for one. The window had no lock and had a cracked pane of glass. The built in hairdryer failed the electrical safety test and had a sticker on the plug advising of this. The remote for the TV was a universal one so if you pressed "info" you got mute and if you pressed "mute" you got info - took a while to work that out..
I asked reception why they thought that £91 a night was a fair price considering the state of the room and was told that I had the chance to refuse the room if I didn't like. I told them that they were the only room available in the area that had 2 consecutive nights for that weekend and had I had a choice, they would not have been it.
Why they call themselves an hotel, I have no idea. They have no food facility, although there is an Italian restaurant next door, no bar, nothing. One of the worst places I've stayed in and believe me, I've stayed in a few...

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Sally-Anne K
Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

I don’t know the exact definition of a hotel but I’ve yet to find one that doesn’t have a bar or a communal seating.

What would have been the bar and ‘front of house’ areas are now an Italian Restaurant. I can’t see that as a problem as long as they still make the area available directly to guests and although we were told we could get a drink there it did seem rather shut off behind closed doors.

I’m sure that situation could be improved upon for the benefit of both the hotel and the restaurant.

Our room was fine. Clean comfortable beds, big bathroom, good shower and big towels. Car parking was good and secure which was important to us.

We drank and ate at the nearby Bear Hotel which came recommended by the George but has no parking. The Bear also said the Italian at The George was of a good standard.

We probably wouldn’t stay again but would expect to pay a lot more in Battle to get all the facilities we wanted.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ray M
Reviewed 24 July 2018 via mobile

Stayed here 35 years ago on a two night Honeymoon (young and not much money)
So we decided it would be fun to revisit 35 years later, well, we knew it wouldn’t be brilliant having read some of the reviews, however, when we saw the outside we nearly drove on!!
Not to be deterred, we entered the ‘hotel’ round the back we were welcomed by a pleasant young man who showed us to our our 4 poster bed room, what struck me was how Shabby it looked with an odd musty smell anyway, the room was ok, we were told it was due refurbishment ( no kidding) carpet had seen better days and there was the most disconcerting mirrored roof to the bed!! We didn’t dare look up.
One set of plug sockets didn’t work, two lights didn’t work and the shower room was clean ish but had definitely seen better days. There was no lounge ( turned into an Italian restaurant) the only window opened out onto the fire exit stairs ( so no leaving that open at night)
We persevered because the reason of the visit was a nostalgic one
We shan’t return, sadly,especially at £90 per night room only!!!
We have actually aged better than the hotel/hostel/guest house.

3  Thank Wybos
Reviewed 18 July 2018 via mobile

Staff at this hotel are friendly and helpful. Our room was at the front of the hotel. The bed was very comfortable and the room was very clean. It was hot so we had the window open, during the night it sounded as though youngsters were racing cars up and down Battle High street which was very loud so we didn’t sleep well at all. I can imagine the back of the hotel is nice and quiet.
We also had no cold water coming through the tap in the bathroom, we didn’t mind too much as we could still wash our hands and brush our teeth using the hot water. It’s a real shame breakfast isn’t included or offered but saying that there are several places on Battle High street where you can get a good breakfast.
Also the car park is very small, there were several cars blocking each other in. We left early on the Sunday and luckily this didn’t effect us but may be an issue for those blocked in and no one behind the desk to help on a Sunday morning. However, there is a cheap car park close by.
We went for dinner at the pizza place directly below the hotel which was lovely, highly recommend that place!

1  Thank hannahhedinger
Reviewed 16 July 2018 via mobile

We stayed here last night and all I can say is avoid at all costs

We booked via Booking .Com and have complained to them

We’d arrived on a very hot day to be told their internet was down and to come back later as they didn’t know what room we were in .We came back and still an issue but we were tired and insisted on our room

The first was just awful no opening window up filthy stairs ,the second was marginally better but on opening the window there were live wires,filth and rubbish and a god awful smell . The bathroom was not clean there was broken dispensers on the floor

We complained to no avail and ended up staying as everywhere was booked

The guy who runs here was unwelcoming and filthy just please don’t book

1  Thank Droopydrawrs52