“Tim is the man”
Review of James Andrews Golf School - MOVED

James Andrews Golf School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Our intensive golf schools are suitable for all ages and abilities and offer carefully structured golf tuition with one of our PGA professionals. Students are placed in ability-matched groups no larger than 4 to guarantee individual attention. Initially your golfing ability will be assessed and a tailored work plan created, then during each school your needs will be continuously evaluated,
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Baby buggy parking, Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 16 February 2016

For me hourly golf lessons just didn't work as I couldn't put in the rounds between lessons so after some research I hit upon the James Andrews school of golf. This is not an afterthought to a traditional club it is a golf school and learners take priority in terms of using the facilities.
The on site accommodation is very high quality with excellent food and nothing is too much trouble. My wife and I don't eat meat so they asked what we wanted fish wise and went to the market to get it. Highly recommended and whilst all the Pro,s are good ask for Tim he is a charming bloke , so patient and all about improving your golf rather than taking the easy route that some pro,s take of re-engineering everything.

All reviews
"round of golf"
"big surprise"
"left arm"

Reviewed 16 February 2016

This is the 3rd time I've been on a 2 day course here and I can't recommend it highly enough. Its a very long drive from where we live but wouldn't risk going anywhere else. Tim is a brilliant instructor at all levels - he's taught me as a complete beginner and friends at intermediate and advanced levels. The on site accommodation is great, extremely clean, with a bath and an endless supply of hot water to soak away the aches and pains! Likewise the food is lovely, with staff who cater for any dietary requests without a moments hesitation. Will definitely be back. Thanks to all

Reviewed 16 February 2016

There are three important aspects when attending any kind of residential training package: the quality of the teaching; the standard of the hotel; the food! In all three areas James Andrews School of Golf excels.

Teaching: there were four 'beginners' (of varying standards) in our group and our golf pro was Paul. He was excellent, with a perfect balance of encouragement, criticism, and humour. Although all four of us were of different abilities and experience Paul made the course work for us all. Even the fact that it hurtled down with rain for the whole of the first day did not interrupt the training, as there is a lot of high-tech equipment to use for analysis as well as a large and well-equipped driving range. Although I've decided that golf is not for me (nothing to do with the quality of the weekend!), I'm still very glad to have had the experience.

Hotel: the accommodation is in a separate building from the clubhouse and social facilities - a short walk along a gravelled path. Although not luxurious the rooms are certainly not basic, and they are a very good size. Mine had twin beds (with an extremely comfortable mattress), a double wardrobe, three chests of drawers for clothes, a television, and a large leather sofa. The room was en-suite with a good-sized bathroom with twin washbasins and a huge bath. The whole place was absolutely spotless, with heating (not that I needed it, even in February) and well-placed lighting. There were lots of little extras: toiletries, a hair dryer, blankets, and tea and coffee. There is also a locker room which is very useful on the last day of any stay as it allows the room to be vacated but personal effects to be kept safe until it is time to leave.

Food: the clubhouse has a fully-equipped bar which divides the clubhouse into two - on one side is the restaurant, where breakfast, lunch and dinner are taken, and on the other side is a social area with television, table tennis, billiards and comfortable seating. The restaurant is fairly basic in appearance (think alpine cafe rather than five star dining) but this belies the quality of the food. The daily menu is small (around four starters and six mains) but, as a vegetarian, I found a good starter and a lovely main (aubergine with lentils). The creme brûlée for desert (again there is a choice) was so good that I had it on my second evening too! As soon as the waitress discovered that I was vegetarian she asked me if I would like vegetarian bacon and sausages for breakfast. She was true to her word, so I was able to have a cooked breakfast on both mornings. I was also asked, on my first night, what I would like the chef to cook for me the next evening! I have never been asked this before! (And they were pretty busy!) I chose a starter of twice-baked cheese soufflé and a main of mushroom risotto; both were excellent.

The other point which is worth a mention is the overall attitude of the staff: without exception they were friendly, helpful and professional. An all-round good experience - and I am very particular! Well done James Andrews School of Golf.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 February 2016 via mobile

James was an excellent coach and feeling so confident now! The team and hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Had a great time thank you! Would definitely go again!