“Poor value for money”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bexhill-on-Sea
brighton
“Poor value for money”
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I have often frequented the hotel and had afternoon tea in the gardens during the summer which has been excellent.
On this occasion I dined in the restaurant and we had 'posh fish and chips', our waitress was great but the meal was grossly overpriced at just a shade under £18 each.

There were no prices on the menu so
Maybe we should have known better...however I couldn't believe the price when we got the bill so i questioned the amount. Bearing in mind this is a 3 star hotel in cooden not London or Brighton which astonishingly is asking 4/5 star prices.
For what was a mediocre meal.
We've eaten at Jamie olivers and various other restaurants in London and Brighton where we've had a much better meal and paid considerably less.

In fact I will go as far as to say it was offensively and grossly overpriced. We like to support local restaurants but we will not be returning.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank jazybrighton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2012

A short stay for three nights...

Great food, great service, great rooms... although very windy outside doors rattled a bit but was fine!

WIFI is excellent, get coverage throughout the premisis..

One dissappointment - price of food and esp alcohol, but for a short stay it's fine.

Definately stay again..

Room Tip: if not a windy a day - opt for a sea view room!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Devon
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Friendly staff, good food, comfortable bed and Cooden beach itself is very nice. Thanks for a lovely little holiday by the sea. So much nicer than ordinary big chain hotels. More atmosphere and with a swimming pool I think it was good value. See you next year.

Room Tip: Sea view worth the little extra
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Glasgow
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We stayed here for two nights at the end of September 2012 and enjoyed our time here. Check-in was fast and easy. We had a very comfortable room on the second floor of the main building. It was spacious with a decent sized bathroom. We were perhaps undemanding guests but we found the staff to be obliging, very friendly and eager to make our stay enjoyable. It was an excellent wedding venue with privacy for wedding guests at one end of the hotel but all of the bar and other facilities close by. The food was very good. Snacks and light meals in the bar were varied and reasonably priced. Breakfasts were good and the wedding breakfast was as good as any I have ever had.
The hotel is a very short walk from the railway station and we got direct trains to and from Garwick. Situated right on the beach, it is a perfect location. My wife used the spa and was pleased with it.
We enjoyed our stay here. I would happily return and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank silversurfer21
lowestoft
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Stayed for just one night with my sister and her daughter. We all booked single rooms. Helpful service, lovely breakfast. Good value on a Sunday night. Asked for nice view but unfortunately got view of train station. My sister and also her daughter both got side rooms with a seaview. Spa available from 7am to 10pm.

Room Tip: Room at front or side of hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Rosine
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2012

The hotel has a monopoly as there are no other comparable hotels in Bexhill hence it thinks it can charge the same as a four or five star hotel. Booked a double room for £120 (hotel actually wanted £140 but Booking.com showed £120 so they eventually agreed to that price. Upgraded to a sea view for £20.

No problem with the sea view, fantastic, although window small.

Double room #207 is situated on its own in the roof space up some narrow stairs, would not even be classed as a single in a B&B! Only one bedside cabinet as no room for another, hardly any space around the bed t walls and door etc, ridiculous to charge £120 for this.

In addition the room is tired in decor as are most of the other rooms and hotel. Would pass as an accepatble three star, but the room charges are excessive for what it is.

One other point, hotel caters for lots of functions including weddings so could be noisy.

Disapponted.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alan G
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I booked a room with a sea view and was given a room overlooking the car park and the rail station. Below my room was a live band that played until 11pm. I spoke to the receptionist and was told that live bands are in the terms and conditions when booking. I was moved further down the corridor. I could still hear the band playing loudly but at least the floor wasn't bouncing. When the band did stop the noise was replaced by the generator (or some noisy machine) outside my bedroom.

The next day at 2pm I was in the room about to shower and change for a wedding I was attending. There was no hot water despite letting the tap run for ten minutes. The room also hadn't been cleaned. My dirty cup was still there from the day before as was my rubbish in the bin.. As I was changing a staff member wanted to clean the room!

The staff were polite and friendly but I most definitely felt that I was of no importance and neither were my needs or expectations of any consequence.

There was an older man who I assumed was the manager as he was barking orders at the staff and guests! I did therefore not complain at the time. I was also just too fed up by then.

While waiting for the happy couple to arrive I asked where the rest of the party were so I could wait with them. I was told by a staff member that she didn't know and that I could 'hang around' the reception area.

The food was lovely though.

But despite the good food I will not stay there again or recommend the Cooden Beach hotel to anyone else.

Room Tip: Keep well away from the train station side as this is where the live bands play.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank MaggieJo53
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bexhill-on-Sea
PowderMills Country House Hotel
East Sussex National
East Sussex National
#1 of 2 in Little Horsted
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,146 reviews

Been to The Cooden Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!