“New A la Carte meals”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bexhill-on-Sea
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“New A la Carte meals”
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Last night, we very much enjoyed the new a la carte menu. There is an excellent choice, nice ambience and the waiter and staff were most helpful and could not do enough for us. Highly recommended. We also went to the Tavern on Thursday night and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The posh fish and chips were excellent and, although you have to order at the bar, the service of the waiters were excellent. Good value and attentive staff.

Room Tip: The new rooms on the south side facing the English Channel with view looking out to Beachy Head, Eas...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jeannette A
CoodenBeach36, Manager at The Cooden Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
I asm so glad that you enjoyed the new a la carte menu in the Beachside Restaurant, thank you for the positive comments, I have passed these on to the staff and both myself and my staff look forward to welcoming you back to The Cooden Beach Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Bexhill on Sea
Reviewed 6 February 2013

After having written a glowing report previously about the Cooden Beach I have to change my opinion after todays visit. It has been decided, I understand that because the restaurant is not making the money required, the 'Tavern' will now not offer table service and it is not possible to have a 'tab' ie the customer has to go to the bar to order EVERYTHING and pay as purchased. Bearing in mind the age of the clients (usually over 60 during the lunch period) it is a backward step to expect a customer to approach the bar for each course and to have to carry a tray of drinks to their table. I have, for the last 3 months enjoyed by lunch in the Tavern and always 'tipped' the waiter/waitress at the end of the meal. I DID NOT SEE ANYONE TODAY SO I COULD NOT TIP!!! THINK AGAIN MR. KIMBER !!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank DaisyBexhillonSea
CoodenBeach36, Manager at The Cooden Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 8 February 2013
I am very pleased that you have enjoyed your experiences of eating in The Tavern for the last three months and would like to assure you that following a very short experiment with the service in the Tavern that full table service is in fact back in operation, so not only is waiter service available in the Beachside Restaurant with it's new a la carte menu but also as it has been in the last two years in The Tavern. We look forward to welcoming you back for lunch soon.
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Unexpectedly needing a room for the night, this place popped-up on my sat nav, so I phoned. At the price I was offered I really didn't expect much but it was late so I booked. What I found was a great location, friendly staff, a very comfy bed in a nice, clean room with en-suite and digital TV - a real surprise and just what I needed. I expected to have to pay extra for breakfast but no... Breakfast is included. Next time I'm in the area I'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank paulineandjohnL
Thank you for your positive comments, I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay here with us at The Cooden Beach Hotel, I am glad that you enjoyed your included breakfast, we pride ourself on the use of locally sourced produce and the fact that every breakfast is cooked to order. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Cooden Beach Hotel
Reviewed 12 January 2013 via mobile

Gone down hill drastically in the last couple of years. Pool area is nice and quiet the only good thing about the place. Very out of date. Looks like a retirement home not a hotel.

Food is very poor! Meat very dry and not worth the amount of money we had to pay!!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012
6 Thank Mills2002
We are at present undergoing a programme of refurbishment and redecoration in some public areas of the Hotel and function rooms, the rolling refurbishment of the hotel bedrooms continues so that we are constantly updating the look of the hotel.

We have since the beginning of 2013 introduced an a la carte menu to the Beachside Restaurant specialising in local produce of the season, giving a much wider and innovative menu still at reasonable prices.

I do hope that you will come back and visit us again so that we can show you the best of what we can do.
Whitstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2013

For almost 20 Years we have eaten and stayed at this hotel Our stay was comfortable but very noisy untill quite late. However we have visited the Restaurant very frequently and the Friday before Christmas we went there for the Christmas Lunch! What a disaster! The starter I had was a mediochre pate which could have been topped by Tesco , tasteless and the presentation was awful. Then the Turkey was like eating plastic, tasteless , dry and certainly not fresh carved turkey. The vegetables were uninteresting and bland, and not sufficient for 5 people! 2 of our party opted for Salmon which was appreciated but was of a meagre quantity. The profiteroles were a disaster , again dry , and because of the poor starters and main course, 3 of us opted out of the dessert, still having to pay £27.00 for 2 courses which I was appalled at! This was the last straw and we wont ever return because standards have dropped in the past 2 years and they certainly couldnt have dropped any further on that day!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank jennywren300
Bexleyheath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2013

My husband and I returned from here yesterday after 3nights.I have to say the room we had 121,didn`t look anything like pictures advertised.It was dark,very poky and disappointing.The en-suite was almost as big as the room.Bedroom had small window with dark curtains.Had to have window open all night as so claustrophobic and hot.We had the heating switched off but still no air in room.God knows what it is would be like in summer months. Bath mat in bath was mildew.The fire alarm went off twice the first night we then couldn`t go back to sleep.
The food however was lovely, hot and plenty of it but expensive.Staff in restaurant very good.After evening meal on sunday we went into the bar for a drink,there was no bar staff.We waited about 10minutes then left.Unacceptable I feel as hotel appeared quite busy.Dont think we would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank karen b
I am very sorry that you felt that the room you was allocated did not meet your expectations, being an older building sizes of the rooms do differ but we would have happily moved you to a different room if we had been aware. I can only apologise for the fire alrm disturbing you, I have also spoken to housekeeping and am assured that any bath mat not in pristine condition has been replaced.

I am glad however that you did enjoy the service and food in the Beachside Restaurant and can assure you that service in the bar has now been addressed and procedures put in place so that the bar is always manned.
Pevensey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Very poor, turkey was dry and not carved from( whole turkey ) potatoes were so hard inedible! plenty of greens, if you asked for them but they had their hands full and it took a long time to get the over worked staff to help. Christmas pudding was small tasteless with little sauce. Profiteroles were empty, rather like eating fresh air!!! Staff were wonderful, helpful and hard working, NOT value for money. Will not go again for Christmas!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Katherine B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bexhill-on-Sea
PowderMills Country House Hotel
East Sussex National
East Sussex National
#1 of 2 in Little Horsted
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,147 reviews

Been to The Cooden Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!