The Cooden Beach Hotel
  • Pool
US$141
George Hotel(Battle)
US$64
Royal Victoria Hotel(St Leonards-on-Sea)
US$85
Priceline
Grand Hotel(Hastings)
US$118
  • Beachfront
Premier Inn Hastings Hotel(Hastings)(Great Value!)
US$84
PremierInn.com
US$174
1,043 results
All reviewssea viewbeachside restaurantwedding receptionsunday lunchrestaurant staffleisure facilitiesafternoon teawaiting stafffish and chipsfunction roomoverlooking the beachwedding partysteam roomlovely locationsingle roomtrain stationhigh standard
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Came here to visit a friend and stayed here because it was the only hotel in the area. The location is amazing, right on the beach, I am not sure there is any other hotel that has this benefit along this stretch of coast. The reception staff were welcoming, and check in was pleasant. The room was spacious but I felt I stepped back in time straight to the 1980s! Décor is dated. Room was not too far away just at the top of a staircase. Was surprised the hotel had no lift and no porter, and bar staff were called upon to carry my bag to my room, a very unusual arrangement. The hotel had 2 different restaurants, breakfast was in the smaller restaurant, the room seemed very tiny for a restaurant of this size. Breakfast was adequate, not quite the standard of breakfast in other hotels, very dated with value tinned fruit, in abundance. Again a dated service of ordering everything, and being inundated with questions first thing in the morning. Don’t start me on the toast, for the two mornings I was there, it came in 2 colours, anaemic or cremated! I would have preferred to have carved my own bread from a fresh loaf which almost every other hotel does. The evening meal, on the first night I ate in the small restaurant, which had increased in size for the evening meal, just a shame the clientel hadn’t because there may have been a bit of atmosphere, as I am convinced there would have been more life in a morgue. I felt like a Goldfish in a bowl with the Manager and waitress just watching me, waiting to pounce on my plate, both looking miserable and bored. The food was expensive for what it was, and it was average. The second night I was there, I decided to try the larger pub restaurant. This was lovely, the staff in there, couldn’t do enough for you, the service was quick, not imposing and as for the food, this appears to be better than the restaurant and at half the price! It was a very relaxed atmosphere and the food tasted better than what I had the night before in the other restaurant.I will return to the hotel because there is nowhere else, but if I do I would eat in the pub/restaurant bit as it is better, just a shame they do not do breakfast in there.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Steph C
CoodenBeach36, Manager at The Cooden Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of the Cooden Beach Hotel, feedback is an important tool in the on going life of the hotel for improvement.

The bulding unfortunately doesn't lend itself to a lift but our bar staff double as porters and are more than happy to assist with luggage up and down the stairs and in fact provide any other assistance our guests may require.

Breakfast is served from the Beachside Restaurant with views of the beach, we provide a continental buffet selection for guests to help themselves to :- Fresh Fruit Platter, tinned (but NOT value range) grapefruit segments, mandarin segments, figs and prunes, freshly baked croissants and danish pastries, a choice of 4 different fruit juices, selection of yoghurts, kellogs cereal selection individually boxed and a choice of brown, white or fruit bread to be toasted. In addition to this we offer a fully cooked to order breakfast which includes a Full English which includes local award winning Sussex special pork sausages or scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, eggs benedict, 2 egg omettes with a choice of fillings, grilled kippers or poached haddock with poached eggs or porridge - we like to think this is a little more than adequate.

We were sorry to learn you found the Beachside Restaurant to be lacking in atmosphere, it is our more formal Restaurant, we are delighted that you enjoyed the Cooden Tavern.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

We booked this hotel for two nights. Although its right on the beach with lovely views there is nothing else around.
We booked the executive room, this was a nice room but it was clearly a disabled room with a wet room. I was disappointed by this as I do like to have a bath.
The room was clean and have a lovely balcony with a nice view. We struggled to pick up the wifi or even our own mobile network. The bed was comfortable and the room had an ironing board and iron which is always helpful.
One day while we was there it was pouring down with rain and the staff were very helpful and gave us a lovely big umbrella which was a great help.
The spa area was lovely and we used it every day. There was a nice small gym also that looked quite nice but we didn't use that.
We found the food in the pub and restaurant ok but nothing special and a bit over priced. The breakfast was lovely and we really enjoyed this.
Over all a nice clean hotel but I wouldn't return. It was a very busy hotel so it is quite popular.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review, we always appreciate feedback from our guests.

Whilst we appreciate the hotel is in a quiet area of Cooden we are located next to the train station which has regular services to Hastings, Eastbourne and Brighton.

This is a bit of a 'mobile black spot', however our free wifi should have been working well, any problems with this and our I.T. expert can usually rectify this in a very shot time.

Reviewed 2 June 2013

Went for lunch in their beach side restaurant. Lovely location overlooking the beach.

My starter order of avocado with crayfish tails arrived as chili prawns which wasn't a problem as they were very nice.

For the main, I chose their 'signature dish' of 'Posh Fish & Chips' which was described as locally sourced cod fish in tempura batter with chips and mushy peas.

The batter was more like mashed up cardboard and after hacking through the impenetrable coating, there was a tiny portion of thin, tail end fillet of fish (Coley?). It was dry, grey and had to be scrapped off the batter. This was clearly frozen fish and not the 'locally sourced' product as described - unless the frozen food section of Tesco counts as local sourcing.

The mushy peas had a crust on the top and were not at all appetising.

The response from the kitchen was less than satisfactory. The message back from the chef was that a bit of batter had fallen off the fish and the oil had dried that bit out - never mind that the whole thing was dried out and disgusting. He also stated that the fish was fresh which it clearly was not.

To serve something like that as a 'signature dish' says something about the establishment. Any local 'chippie' would have provided much better for less than half the price.

No adjustment to bill and we will certainly not be returning.

Room Tip: Try somewhere else.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jack D

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review, feedback is always appreciated.

We are very sorry to learn that the Posh Fish & Chips were not up to standard, should you have sent them back a fresh meal would have been made for you.

We have fresh fish delivered to the hotel daily by a local fish monger who purchases directly from Hastings Fish Market daily, we do not have frozen fish or coley but serve fresh Cod or Haddock.

We would always appreciate the opportunity to provide a new meal rather than have a dissatisfied guest.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

We invited some friends that had never been to the Cooden Beach before, for a meal, last week, Unfortunately, it was of very poor standard. The veg was either rock hard, or soggy. The sauces for the meals, barely covered the meat. Not a hot meal, and plates could have been hotter. We were asked about wine at first, but declined. Then we asked later on when meal came, but didn't get a wine list. We had only water to drink all night, and no staff asked us if we'd like drinks. When enquiring what the selection of ice creams were, we were told, vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. Not very exciting! Most people have those ice creams in their freezer. The worst thing about the meal was that we'd talked our friends out of going to the local Italian restaurant, and told them it would be a good meal at the CB. And also, they picked up the bill!
I don't suppose they'll speak to us again! We know that chef Paul wasn't on duty, so maybe we chose the wrong night to dine out.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank sunshine123453

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review, feedback is always appreciated.

We were extremely sorry to learn of your less than satisfactory experience in our restaurant.

The non arrival of the Wine List following your request is highly unusual and we can only imagine a misunderstanding occured.

The issues with your meals were most unfortunate and had our staff been made aware fresh meals could have been prepared.

We extend our most sincere apologies for your disappointing evening.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

We went to this Hotel for afternoon coffee and cakes It was very busy as a Bank Holiday but nothing was too much trouble. We were served with 2 lovely cheese scones, a piece of cake and coffee. We enjoyed the afternoon and would definitely come back again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
CoodenBeach36, Manager at The Cooden Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Thank you for your lovely comments, I am so glad that you enjoyed your tea and cake, we also do afternoon tea with finger sandwiches and scones with jam and clotted cream, sinful but delicious, perhaps we can tempt you next time you are in Cooden.