“Good fresh food, brilliant hosts!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Taffels

Taffels
Ranked #7 of 18 Restaurants in Forest Row
Price range: US$8 - US$19
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Mediterranean, European, Contemporary, Healthy
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Forest Row, England, United Kingdom
“Good fresh food, brilliant hosts!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

Tucked away on the Hartfield Road, Forest Row is a gem of a local eaterie. Fresh, locally sourced food served within milliseconds of being cooked is the reason why locals love to eat here.
The captivating and artist decor add to the bohemian eaterie feel and round off a wonderful dining experience.
If planning an evening meal always call ahead as they are not always open in the evening.

1 Thank Greg C

East Grinstead, United Kingdom
“Another happy visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

We have been to Taffells a few time so I figured it was time for a new review. We went on a late Sunday morning, after a walk and had the vegetarian breakfast. It was really good, everything was fresh and tasty (quite a big plate for me). We love their bread. We'll come back again, thanks!

• Visited March 2014
Oakley, United Kingdom
“Hormone Soup is not on the Menu”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

I visit Taffels when I visiting a friend who lives in the area. I visited a couple of years ago and having not eaten all day had an exceptional lunch, sat outside in the sun.

This time I visted at lunch time when it was full of women, with 1 man, who unfortunately all seemed to be having emotional issues at the same time. The energy was distinctly odd to say the least.

I sat down in a pack restaurant, as it was raining (there's a surprise) outside seating was not an option. The tables are closely packed so it is difficult to have that privacy with hearing every word of the conversations on either side. I was waiting for a girlfriend who had dropped off her stuff and gone next door for a wee while, but left me to order.

Well I could see the waitress, and I could see food coming very slowly out to the customers. I had been warned that I should order when I got there as the food is notoriously slow in coming. It would have been good to see the waitress on her game, ready to take and order rather than having to attempt to signal her, and then actually get up and ask.

I am informed that the ordering process is somewhat simpler when other waiting staff are working. Unfortunately I didn't visit on that day. I ordered my food and that of my companion and her child, having been assured that it would coming soon. The waitress returned after 15 minutes to tell me that what my companion had wanted was finished, so I ordered something else. 35 minutes later the food arrived.

One good point, my companion had not returned, so the waitress offered to keep my companions food warm - excellent service but totally non-plussed at this consideration and customer care when all else was missing.

The food was very good, and although another reviewer has complained about the prices, I was unsurprised at its expense as I am fully aware of how expensive Forest Row can be.

I would return here, but perhaps in sunnier times to sit outside away from the hormone soup of a weekly lunchtime in Forest Row.

1 Thank Ellieurs1
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
“Don't be in a rush”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

I liked Taffels' atmosphere and the seating area was laid back and staff were friendly. But when we visited the restaurant there were six people including us ordering lunch - not many covers by any standard but our simple lunches took over thirty minutes to arrive. We had asked for toast and it had obviously been standing around and was hard. We asked for butter and were given two pieces which just about did one of the four slices. The people next to us had the chips on their order missed off and the waitress explained to them that she hadn't seen that chips were included as a flower was covering part of the board with the specials on it.
Taffels really does work as a great meeting place, but when you are charging over £30.00 for two basic breakfasts and coffees you want quick professional service. I wondered if the place couldn't cope with six orders what happens when it gets really busy?

2 Thank Richard P
Botley, United Kingdom
“An unexpected find - excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

Food superb - olives & wood pigeon followed by steak and belly of pork, all washed down with a very pleasant Aussie chardonnay! Topped off with a great cup of coffee and a chocolate brownie… divine! The setting is great too - compact but never so that you feel intruded upon by others - and the service just the right mix of attentive and 'leave you alone'. Would recommend this to anyone in or passing through Forest Row… as others have said, a real gem, unexpected!!

• Visited November 2013