“Nice food & setting but let down by service”
Review of The Gallipot Inn

The Gallipot Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Restaurants in Hartfield
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Cuisines: French, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I booked an early evening meal for 5 families well in advance and pre agreed the menu options available to us as I thought not all would want the Dinner menu. On arrival, this arrangement was initially disputed but after this misunderstanding we proceeded to order. The service let us down again with a surly waitress who got our food out before the cutlery and snapped at us when we asked for it. The pub also had run out of ketchup which I questioned with the manager on that night. He made a comment about whether I really needed ketchup on my chips (err...10 kids with us eating) I pointed out the village shop was open until 7pm so it would be possible to get us some which never happened as the manager said he didn't realise the shop was open that late. The food was a pleasant surprise and fresh ingredients, even though 2 meals were missed off the order and arrived after everyone else's. The garden is a lovely setting for a meal and drink but I was left very disappointed especially as I had chosen the pub over the other 2 in the village. Not next time.

1  Thank suselondon

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I've only just joined Trip adviser but always used it before visiting somewhere and we came here about 6 months ago and the food was bland bland bland. We could have cooked better ourselves. We were really disappointed, perhaps the chef was off that night?! We are locals and have great food at lots of other local pubs and this was possibly the worst we have experienced. Service was average.

2  Thank roxyanddougie
nicholas c, Manager at The Gallipot Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear sir/ Madame, I am obviously very disappointed to learn of your experience whilst visiting The Gallipot Inn six months ago. I am slightly bemused as to why one would wait so long to leave a review. However I hope you will pleased to learn that since your last visit we have changed our head chef and also added two extra chefs to our team. This excellent move should help to explain the far more positive reviews that predate yours. I do hope you will return to Gallipot and see for yourself.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

It was more than 20 years since I'd been in the Gallipot. Lovely place, good menu and great food. The weather meant we could sit in the garden and appreciate the view over the valley. I'll be back.

2  Thank Red_to_the_bone
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stopped by after a day out on our way back to Tunbridge Wells having not visited the pub for sometime. We won't leave it is so long next time, as we were welcomed straight away by genuine country folk (not your typical Tunbridge Wells 'townies' fortunately), the food was excellent and served quickly, plus we were able to enjoy it in the really nice garden to the rear overlooking the countryside. A very nice end to a great day, thank you.

2  Thank Tim B
Reviewed 1 June 2014

So, to start with the positives, the beer garden is delightful on a sunny day like today. The mussels we ordered were very tasty. Most unfortunately, we were accused of not paying our bill as we left. Had the laid-back barman paid a little more attention to communicating with the other staff beforehand then this incident would have been avoided. No apology was forthcoming either when the receipt was produced. It spoilt what would otherwise have been an enjoyable visit.