“substandard at any price”

The Boship Lions Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lower Dicker
East Anglia, UK
“substandard at any price”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Stayed for two nights. Used to be Eastbourne residents so regarded Boship as quality hotel. It is not. Breakfast and service were fine. Room was not. Light bulb didn't work. Window did not close properly and it was a very windy weekend. Water was so hot it scalded my wife. Taps wouldn't turn off. Peeling wallpaper. Broken tiles. And so on. Very poor. I will not be back.

3 Thank Whisker73

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights on a business trip.

The room was comfortable, but lighting was very poor, and the furniture was old. The curtain railing broke on my final day, and crashed the ground.

I paid for breakfast and dinner, but didn't bother with the dinner on the second night, I was very disappointed with the dinner on the first night.

The quality of the staff depends on who you meet, some of them are quite helpful, but a few were pretty unhelpful.

When I'm back here, I'm definitely staying somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Bunmi S
Hailsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We had family coming to visit and so thought the Boship Farm Hotel would be a good ,what a bad mistake ....the room was a twin bed , one bed had no headboard , the wallpaper was peeling off , stained carpet , the curtains liningg were in shreds ...not nice . We went to have dinner with them . The 2 people on duty were running the bar , waiting on tables , and manning the front desk . Now to the meal ...
Salmon fish cakes are normally just have fish , pototo , seasoning ...these were full of red and green peppers ..rubbish ...
Ribeye steak was our choice with pepper sauce , it was not a ribeye also cold and the sauce was like glue ..rubbish
Dessert ...profitaroles ..well done Mr Birds Eye !!!
I must give credit where it's due as Tash the young lady on duty had to take all the flak and she was a star ...she should look elsewhere for a career as she is underselling her self ....Well done Tash ...
Do you really need plastic animals in the garden and a swan boat on the lake in a so called country hotel ?
This hotel was once superb but sadly no more ....
No hot water in the ladies loos ....
The list is endless , stay at Travelodge which is opposite , they have standards which they have to ahere too.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank ann p

Travellers are raving about these Lower Dicker hotels

Kings Langley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2013

My mother (a pensioner on a small fixed income) booked my wife and I a dinner bed and breakfast deal at this dump via Groupon for my 40th birthday. She believed she was booking us a stay at a country house hotel. Nothing could be further from the truth.
The young lady on reception was pleasent but had a look of dread on her face when she heard the circumstances of our booking, she obviously new how disapointed we would be.

My Mum had arranged for a chamapgne afternoon tea.....it never happened apprently we were too late!!

We went to the room and it stank of damp and mold, my wife was nearly ill the smell was so powerful, upon further investigation we discovered an inch thick black furry mold growing all around the edge of the bathroom, it was truelly discusting, neither of us showered as we would have felt dirtier after being in that room. If I had paid for the room I would have left straight away but as it had been booked via groupon in my mums name I new we wouldn't get a refund and I would have hated to disapoint her. There was also a TV in the room but unlike the rest of the country it appears as if Bodge it Farm (as we named the hotel) hadn't gone digital so all we got on every channel was snow!! The wall paper was ripped and peeling, there where stains on the bed spread and the bedroom carpet and unexplainable stains on the cealing. We made the desicion to make the best of this calamity situation so we headed down for dinner and drinks. A couple of G&T's helped but even through the gin fog I couldn't help but notice our waitresses dirty cuffs on her un-ironed shirt or more of the unexplained staines on her leggings!! God love her she didn't have a clue and looked about 12 years old but she did try her best. By this point my wife and I were hysterical about how truelly awful the decor, service and smell was I kept expecting Jeremey Beadle to appear and tell us it was all a joke. The food was terrible, slow to arrive and when it did eventually come one whished it hadn't. There was only one other couple in the large room and listening to their conversation it was obvious they felt the same.

By now the dread was starting to set in about returning to the room. We had left the window open to air the room, that plus the half bottle of gin made it nearly possible to ignore the stench and the creeping feeling of filth that surrounded the bed.

Breakfast was equally awful, how you can burn sausages, whilst under cooking bacon I'll never know but Bodge it's chef managed the feat, scrambled eggs were pretty obviously powdered, beans were almost like poridge and I am fairly certain that the Hienz tomato sauce bottle had been filled with a vinegry cheap substitute. The owners/managers missed no oppurtunity to rip you off.

When we checked out tired and unshowered in the morning I complained bitterly the staff stared at me in a world weary manner having undoubtedly heard the same complaints from everybody who stayed, after about ten minutes of gum chewing indifference I gave up refused to settle my bar bill and left. Never ever ever stay here, they sell their hotel to unsuspecting groupon uses as a country house hote,l its not its a grotty doss house. What makes me most angry is having to lie to my dear old mum and tell her it was great when it was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David H
Ilirska Bistrica, Slovenija
Reviewed 26 September 2013

After reading some of the reviews here we were a bit worried about staying here. But we were pleasantly surprised! We got courtyard room which was big and clean! Yep, it showed a bit of aging signs but nothing major. Staff was friendly and prompt. Breakfasts were really good. The outside of the hotel is just lovely, plus they have a pool and a tennis court which we weren't able to try due to weather and lack of free time. Overall we were more than pleased with our stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Newhaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We recently went for lunch at the hotel as it looked inviting from the road and we had attended a wedding a week earlier.We were greeted at reception and inquired about a table,it wasn't a difficult question,however I felt like an Alien who had asked for something out of the ordinary,we were led to a table outside that may have had pigeons roosting on it.
This table was outside the restaurant and in a [best described as a ]field.We placed our order for drinks and food.
The drinks arrived and after a wait of 30 minutes I went to inquire about the food,it was obvious that we had been forgotten,"we are very busy" came the reply,I looked around at an empty area which I assumed was the Restaurant.I said "So you are" paid for the drinks and left.
Whilst at the hotel I walked around the grounds and outside areas and found it to be filthy with paper strewn everywhere.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank 9615503763
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We are fans of the English countryside, so when a best friend of mine suggested the Boship Hotel in Sussex, for her wedding party, I imagined it to be beautiful. A mixture of traditional decor with modern twists. However one modern twist was litter scattered on the hotels lovely grounds, it was almost as if city rubbish has followed us there. Another twist was that the pressures of the 21st century had effected the staff; they were rude, unhelpful, uncertain of basic procedures and crippled by the pressure of more than one guest arriving at a time. Staff should of been outside to greet the happy couple, giving them the best room in the house. Instead there was no organisation at reception, just a frail boy who didn't have the fundamental respect to get out of his chair and do his job while a smirking employee lingered in the back ground afraid to give eye contact let his colleague cope on his own. The next day we all recalled the events of the night and as we sat down to a breakfast, that you wouldn't really feed your dog, we got talking. We are not sure as to why we received this kind of service or who is responsible for such terrible house keeping, but we know that each one of us works hard for our money no matter who we are or our backgrounds, we all felt that our newly married friends deserved better. Our rooms were not presented as pictured on their website; the size was not a problem, even the slight smell of damp when we first walked in. But more so the over used and out dated bed linen, a murdered spider squashed and left to dry out on the ceiling of one of the suites, mold in some of the rooms and bathrooms that smelt highly of urine. I was shocked to hear that my friend and her family and friends felt the same. Other members of our wedding party, felt dirty and un-relaxed by their experience. This was such a shame as the location is stunning. Next time we will go to the Travel Lodge across the road and not judge a book by it's cover, if clean is modern then the Boship is in the dark ages.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
#2 of 2 in Alfriston
Chalk Farm Hotel
Chalk Farm Hotel
#1 of 1 in Willingdon

Been to The Boship Lions Hotel? Share your experiences!