“Popular Sunday Lunch”
Review of The Middle House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mayfield
The Middle House
Ranked #1 of 2 Mayfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We booked as a party of five for Sunday lunch. Booking is advisable, they only had the first 12.15pm sitting available. There was a lively family atmosphere including generally well behaved children. A wide choice of meals were on offer and the young staff were kept fully occupied shuttling between the kitchen and tables.

Food quality was good, my beef excellent. Only comment was that the table could have been cleared more quickly after we all finished and that the dessert course could have arrived quicker. All in all though, a very satisfactory Sunday dining experience. I should mention the Harvey's bitter, always pleased to see that on the tap.

Room Tip: Make table reservation in plenty of time.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Went here for lunch on a rainy Sunday. Great atmosphere, really busy but the food & service are amazing. My husband & I had roast pork & chicken, respectively, big portions of meat, yorkshire pudding & stuffing. The Middle House also serves the BEST vegetables. Roast potatoes, broccoli, carrots & cheesy potatoes all cooked to perfection.

Go early if you want to get a table, sit by the log fire and enjoy a local ale if it's cold outside, or enjoy the great views from the garden when the sun is out.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue O
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I have been to The Middle House a number of times and, so far, it has not disappointed. The staff are friendly and efficient, and the food is plentiful and tasty. I had a chorizo and bean stew, which was great. I would return

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We took friends to The Middle House yesterday and had a lovely meal. When we booked we were offered a table in the restaurant, or in the chapel - we chose the latter. This is a separate room from the bar, but you go back to the bar to order food, which is then served to you. The meal was excellent - all four of us had something different - two fish dishes, fillet steak en croute and belly pork. The ingredients were superb quality, large portions and served by very friendly, efficient staff. Unfortunately, as we had all had starters, we then realised we were too full for pud - what a pity! A lovely evening - we will definitely take other friends there.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sel W
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I stayed in the Middle House for three nights at the suggestion of a friend and I was more than impressed. The environment around the Hotel/Restaurant was spotless. The garden at the back was my favourite spot. The bar and restaurant were where I enjoyed great English food. On my first night I enjoyed their mixed roast which was cooked to a very high standard and my subsequent evenings were just more impressive. The breakfast was also very good with high quality bacon and sausages. Overall, the people who worked in the Middle House made me feel more at home than I have felt for a very long time. I do indeed appreciate their hard work and friendly attitude.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 106 which had access to the garden and 2 huge windows with fresh air coming through...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Tshooter3617
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We visited for lunch on a nice Sunny day. The parking is a bit poky so be careful !
It has a lovely little garden with beautiful views.
We sat in the main bar and ordered at the bar. Friendly Antipodean staff unusual to see in the middle of the countryside but a nice surprise.
The ale selection was a little disappointing unless your a fan of Harveys !!
Menu was huge, in fact a bit too big as it was a mission to read the whole thing. But then some people seem to love Big menus so each to his or her own !
My other half ordered a light option of a chicken salad and I had the pie. Both were massive portions and perfectly delicious.
Would highly recommend this pub although it is a bit out of the way it is well worth the visit.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Barry N
Reviewed 27 June 2013 via mobile

I have been to this restaurant a few times over the years and it would not have been my choice but I was invited along. My meal was poor. I had spare ribs which were coated in a thick sweet goo. The salad -well I wouldn't call it that a limp lettuce leaf grated carrot and a spring onion shaped like a flower? Surprisingly the chips were superb. The staff who cleared the plates were helpful. The place was packed and other meals looked good. My friends thought their meals were just ok. I will not be going again.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank fuzzytunbridgewells

Been to The Middle House? Share your experiences!