“hope you have a good meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Hope Inn

The Hope Inn
Ranked #3 of 35 Restaurants in Newhaven
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Cheap Eats, View, Kids, Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Newhaven, United Kingdom
“hope you have a good meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Nice place to be great food good company staff look after youand always glad to help you what ever you need

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank David H

“Dear 'Gutted'..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

Having visited the Hope many times over the last couple of years I would like to class myself as a regular. In all that time I have NEVER witnessed anything that would attract such a scathing review.
The staff are always very friendly and the food ( for a pub ) is very good. All their meals are made on the premises and offer good value for money. I have eaten there many times and always enjoyed it. Lets be honest, if it was as bad as the review by 'Gutted' makes out, then the pub wouldn't be packed out for meals (especially on Sundays when, if you haven't book a table, you will be in for a long wait..!!). As to the comments from 'Gutted' concerning cleanliness I can honestly say ( having witnessed it) that the tables are cleaned after each customer has finished eating. I have never seen anything 'filthy' in the pub.
As to their moan about what came with their sandwich, well it's served with chips OR salad. I should know because I've had the sandwiches. The home made coleslaw is always served with it as an addition. So.... I know we are all entitled to our opinion but I have never been 'Gutted' with anything at the Hope. Given the Hopes popularity, and returning customers, I would say very few people are ever 'Gutted' from their visit. A great pub.....!!!!

6 Thank Nick I
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Great traditional pub with good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

We've been to this pub a few times now, indeed we drive some distance to enjoy the food and drink. It's somewhat basic, but I mean that in the nicest way - the bar staff are attentive and the food is great, but it all comes without pretensions.

It's frequented by both visitors and locals, and serves a good selection of beers. The food menu is reasonable and it all seems to be freshly cooked to order.

If you live in the area, I'd strongly recommend giving it a try.

2 Thank Brightone2
Newhaven, United Kingdom
“Gutted”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

This place over the years has been up and down!Its now rock bottom.
Took my daughter for lunch.
Ordered from bar sandwiches and cokes!small glasses of flat coke filled with ice although I wasn't asked if I wanted it!he then tipped one of the cokes into another glass!!!I asked why he done that!"lipstick on the glass and don't expect you want to drink out of that"was the reply!!!i had the coke from the dirty glass into another one.
The toilets have had the same pathetic signs excusing the mess in them for months!i think its a cover up for the appalling decrepit decor!
We sat in the window on dirty cushions and couldn't use the filthy high hair supplied for my grandaughter!The door next to it was filth!
I went up to get salt pepper etc from tray!and was told from the grumpy waitress it's all on the table!I really didn't fancy the tomatoe sauce in the tacky container at our table and crept back for sachets from tray!
Last time we had a sandwich at the Hope it came with either chips or salad!We ordered a bowl of chips and were unclear what would come with our sandwich!a few chips and splodge of coleslaw!obviously no salad anymore!
The waitress was grumpy and it doesn't matter how polite to her she won't smile and make you feel welcome!
So disapointed as I have lots of friends visiting us this summer and would of been perfect place to bring them!
In a nutshell service is very bad!the place needs a good clean.

2 Thank MalcHazel
ryan01273515389, Owner at The Hope Inn, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Can I first say that we are very disappointed you didn't enjoy your visit to our pub last week.
My wife and I were working that day and were both unaware that the highchair hadn't been thoroughly cleaned after the previous use as is usually the case.....had you let us know we would obviously rectified the matter.
Again if you had only told me at time you didn't like the cola I would of changed it for you.
Unfortunately the area you sat in has suffered a lot of water damage due to the recent weather and is due to be redecorated along with rest of the pub once the building works have been completed on the outside of the building.

I apologise again if we did not hit your expectations but hope you revisit so we have a chance to redeem ourselves.
I wish you had said something at the time so we could of made sure that your visit was as enjoyable as it should of been.
Shem
Landlord
“Good old fashioned pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

We live locally and decided to try the Hope tonight. Very friendly staff. My food was lovely, hubby wasn't sure about his but the puddings were delicious. Good value for money we had a bottle of red, 2 mains and a pudding each for under £40.00.

• Visited March 2014