“Good Value for Money”

Ranked #2 of 2 Pevensey B&B and Inns
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
“Good Value for Money”
Reviewed 13 January 2013

We would not normally choose to stay in rooms above any Pub but we needed 2 rooms for a last minute trip to Hastings over the Xmas period and booked in a hurry. The Bay Hotel had the only reasonably priced rooms available for 3 nights close by. The staff were friendly and pleasant and the breakfasts were served promptly and were well cooked and well presented and set us up for the day. The rooms were basic but the beds and towels were clean and the showers were hot and toiletries were provided. Yes, The Bay Hotel is tired and dated in most respects with some drafts, some peeling paint and wallpaper, noisy extractor fans in the toilet and some road noise and limited heating in the rooms but it was cheap. The Hotel was quiet throughout our stay ~ maybe it was out of season. I was a bit concerned about what I had signed up to in haste based upon the many bad comments that I then found against this Hotel. Thankfully, the Bay Hotel was perfectly OK. It was functional, cheap, clean and a lot better than I feared and we got a great deal for 3 nights B&B for 3 adults of only £24pppn !!!

Room Tip: It might be a good idea to check beforehand about any seasonal activities or functions that could re...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank MandBCramlington

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2013

As a large family group we chanced upon The Bay Hotel for a meal. it seemed more like a pub that did food than a hotel per se, but we were grateful they not only allowed our 10 year old son to eat in the main bar area but also allowed our dog in too.....dog owners please note! as in England this feels increasingly rare though it is normal in France.
They had a two for one deal on main courses that made the rather expensive prices a lot more attractive. My son had the homemade burger which he pronounced delicious! My Mother had the steak and ale pie whch was a sort of puff pastry affair with lots of fresh looking vegetables and the other 4 of us had the medallions of beef in a stilton sauce that tasted lovely though the steak was pretty tough!
All in all though would recommend as a family friendly hostelry.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Susan H
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2012 via mobile

This hotel is in an very convenient location. A very short distance from the sea front and with a variety of shops and amenities. Very reasonably priced but you do get what you pay for.
Yes the rooms are in need of a make over and the place could do with being freshened up but the staff are friendly and helpful and the essentials are clean and fresh.
Bedding and towels are clean and in plentiful supply. Toiletries are provided. The breakfast was served within minutes of sitting down and was cooked to order. Good choice of cereals and jams, tea/coffee and juice and a full cooked breakfast with toast.
There is ample parking.
All in all if you overlook what's not perfect you'll get good value for money.

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank JuleJo78
newcastle
Reviewed 14 September 2012

I have stayed in the bay hotel a number of times over the years and have always found it to be value for money not perfect but then it’s not £100 a night and is one of the only hotels in the Eastbourne area that will accept a 1 or 2 night booking clean friendly and reasonable, food is ok staff very helpful.

Room Tip: I have stayed in lots of the rooms over the years and I think No 7 is the best in house
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank bootsMorley
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I wish we'd have looked on trip advisor before booking this hotel. When we arrived and realised it was a "pub" We felt like just turning around and walking away - but we paid for it online so we didn't want to lose our money. But what a place. I am not a fussy person, so if I book a three star or two star accommodation I pretty much know what to expect, but even so the place should be clean no matter what star rating it is. First of all it should be given a zero rating for it's entire presentation. Can someone in the hotel inspection field reading this please pick up the phone and review this place again because it is falsely represented.The whole place looked like it hadn't been hoovered since it opened - whenever that was, the bathroom shower was mouldy and when the beds were made they didn't even look to see if anything was still left in the bed before they made it ! We had as baby who was playing with toys before we left to go for the day and when I went to bed that night I pulled back the cover to get in and muslin cloth and a toy was still in the bed ! The breakfast was disgusting, I couldn't even eat the sausage as it had such a disgusting flavour, I have never tasted something like that before - it could have been cat meat for all I know - honestly. The toast wasn't even brown - it was hot bread so I had to tell them to brown the bread. The so called "kids" play area was absolutely filthy - the balls in the pit were dirty and you could see that without going in it. I did not take my baby there. Finally - another important point - they do not tell you they've got DOGS - I found out the hard way when we checked out and I sat on a chair in the pub and two dogs came running out into the bar area and one jumped all over me. I was trying to protect the baby so I got scratched. The owners were no where to be seen. My Husband had to run over and shoo the dog away. I love dogs so I haven't got a problem with them having dogs, but they MUST tell people if they have dogs. But anyway when my husband complained to the landlady when she appeared she apologised in a very dutiful manner as though she felt that's what she should say, rather than being genuinely sorry and said that was the only time the dogs had a chance to come out. All in all we did not complain to the owners of a pub because frankly I know they just would NOT care one bit and as we were going they probably wouldn't do anything about it anyway.. So please DO NOT book this hotel. I thought I would never say something like this but honestly I would have been happier sleeping on the beach. It was just absolutely disgusting. It should be avoided even for one night. For the price you pay you will find something much better - trust me it's not worth the disappointment.

Room Tip: There aren't any good rooms because the place is filthy
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Luci1971
lincoln
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Bay hotel is not a practical one. It has a bar attached to it that calls last orders at 10.30pm because it is not busy. Too bad if you are a resident. they turned round and told us we could have a drink and take it to our room.
The place is not clean. The ladies toilet - toilet bowl cleaned but floor not swept nor mopped. The extractor fan full of dust.
Bedroom - bed not remade each morning. Duvet thrown over without the sheets being straightened or pillows fluffed. Plastic glass provided fell off the bedside table and was not picked up for three days. Bed linen not changed for 5 nights. We had to put out the sign that says make up room. Never heard of such a thing.
Breakfast - poor. Sausage not very well cooked. No offer of extra toast or other available breakfast choice like black pudding. Only new about it when we over heard another guest asking for it.
On a plus side, the menu was nice. We had two good meals.
Too expensive for what we got.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank benjiLincoln
Isle of Wight
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We are not an overly fussy couple, nor ones who like complaining, but complain we did when we discovered our room – room 11 – was not en suite as booked. We were not told this upon booking in, but left to discover it for ourselves. As they were fully booked a room change was not possible, and we were offered a miserly sum as compensation that we refused to accept. With the promise that they may be able to arrange accommodation elsewhere the next day, and it being late, we had no choice but to stay the night.
The room itself is described well in another review which must be read, but we would add that the duvet itself was burnt, the window sills and curtains were filthy, the mattress was so worn out that the springs actually hurt to lie on, the wardrobe was so narrow it was totally unsuitable for a couple, and negotiating ten steep and unlit stairs in the night for the bathroom was downright dangerous. We insisted this was fixed straight away. The bathroom is across a passageway that leads to other rooms and seemed adequate except it had only one ring for hanging two towels. After a very uncomfortable night made worse by banging doors we descended to breakfast.
The hotel itself is really like an open plan inn. Reception is behind the bar, and meals are provided in the lounge area which is an extension of the bar area. The whole downstairs has a stale odour and is in much need of decorating and freshening up. Breakfast is served on bare tables. It was adequate, but we both left the lukewarm sausages.
Outside, two or three signs declare that all rooms are en suite, yet all four staff purported that they had done nothing wrong. They laid the blame with the agency that had sold us the room as they had advertised it incorrectly! However the agency that took the booking made it clear the contract was between the customer and the hotel as the hotel group is paid directly. This is a trap anyone booking through an agency – perhaps a late bookings agency - should bear in mind. No alternative accommodation could be arranged, and with much annoyance we were stuck for our second night.
I shall never know if it was legal liability that worried them or the threat of yet another slating review on this and other websites, but that evening, and without asking, we were given a 50% refund in cash for which we were relieved and grateful.
They ruined our short break, and we would certainly not recommend this hotel to anybody. A break we were so much looking forward to resulted in much disappointment, anger, aching limbs and tiredness.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Francisbrowne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pevensey
Priory Court Hotel
#2 of 40 in Eastbourne
The Cooden Beach Hotel
The Cooden Beach Hotel
#1 of 2 in Bexhill-on-Sea

Been to The Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!