“More attention to detail on the menu please”
Review of The Queen's Head

The Queen's Head
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I visited this restaurant again last week with a friend. I saw that there was fish pie on the menu and the list of ingredients therein. I even commented to the bar staff that I would be able to eat the fish pie as it didn't contain mussels (which I detest and make me feel very sick). My companion's burger arrived along with my fish pie but, having plunged my fork into it's depths, I pulled out a mussel! I returned the dish to the bar and profuse apologies were made. I had to order something else and it took quite a time to arrive - my friend had completely finished her burger before my replacement arrived. Luckily I am not actually allergic to mussels, otherwise their mistake could have been fatal.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

This is a warm and welcoming pub, but the food is on the expensive side and the service is very slow. Nevertheless we had a good evening.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We were recommeded to eat here by a local couple. Sedlescombe is a pretty village on a busy road with a long narrow green on to which the pub borders. They have a carpark and the village carpark is located behind it or you can park on the street. It was busy and bustling when we arrived at 6.45pm, very welcoming with a very old interior and exterior with the head of QE1 swinging on the pub sign. We were welcomed by a gaggle of the pub's seven white geese which are truly free range. The Doombar was good but the côte de Rhone a bit rough. The port was excellent. We both had the magret de canard, (duck breast) with green beans, ratatouille and dauphinoise potatoes which were all cooked to perfection. We followed with a cherry créme brulée which was quite copius as was the plum and apple crumble and icecream. They also serve proper expressos. The service was a little slow so during the wait we struck up conversation with a French family (the pub being very cosmoploitan). The barstaff doubled up as waiters and were polite pleasant and helpful. We would defintely come back again.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

This was nearly an excellent review. The food was excellent, the staff were excellent but the food took a little too long to come out. If it was a Friday/Saturday night then fair enough but we waited around an hour on a Tuesday lunchtime. This would though not put me off going here again. I never knew this place existed until we happened to visit the vineyard nearby. Would definitely return.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

We have spent a week locally with a large family group. This pub is delightful. It has a wonderful garden, very friendly and accommodating staff, and a fresh and imaginative menu. The food is the real star here. Every meal was freshly cooked with good quality ingredients, and the price is reasonable. I particularly loved the summer vegetable risotto, and the homemade burgers were a huge hit with the teenage boys in our party. The deserts looked amazing too, but we were too full to take advantage of them. We had dogs with us, so when it rained on our first visit, and the publican made room for us all inside, we were very impressed. So much so in fact, that we have booked to return for our last meal before we head off home. Maybe this time we'll save some room for pudding! This really is a lovely pub, and deserves all the plaudits and success it is getting