“Great Place!!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Ticehurst B&B and Inns
Canterbury, England
“Great Place!!”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

What a wonderful place, with great character. The upstairs function room is brilliant with a great atmosphere. We didn't stay overnight so can't comment on the. rooms. There is plenty of parking available.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank dianea14u
Jhonnie D, General Manager at Bell Inn Ticehurst, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments. Hope you can come and stay soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We had a very nice 1 night stay here last weekend. The hotel is fun, without coming across like a themed pub/hotel. Staff were very friendly. The room was clean, really nicely designed and the bed was super comfy! The pub was warm and welcoming and the meal in the restaurant area was tasty and service very good. My only minor niggle would be young children running around the pub after 10 o’clock at night, and they didn’t appear to be guests at the hotel. I expect the noise of kids during, say, Sunday lunch but at 10pm on a Friday night I could do without it! Anyway, breakfast was very nice and, again, the service was really good. Nothing was too much trouble. We really enjoyed ourselves and would recommend it to other people.

Room Tip: Stranger than Truth was a beautiful room but a little noisy in the morning as I think it may be abov...
3 Thank LauraLondon
Jhonnie D, General Manager at Bell Inn Ticehurst, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
We are delighted you had a good stay, clearly our investment in fabulous beds is worthwhile. Thank you for taking the time to post such a good review, it means the world to us. Point taken on the children front. There is no law against children being in pubs these days but we will try and diplomatically handle this issue.
London
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We were treated to a stay here by our daughter and we had The Moon Wild room. If you are a person who likes to go to bed early this probably is not the ideal room for you being directly above the bar area with the entrance door slamming constantly until midnight. I would describe the decor as shabby chic and although we liked it a lot I dont imagine it would appeal to every one. The huge copper bath is a lovely feature but it would be nice to have a box of tissues and a bottle of water. in the room rather than buying one from the mini bar. The bed is like sleeping on a cloud with lovely linen and pillows.
We ate in the pub in the evening and had a delicious meal although the portions are rather small i.e. 8 chips with the battered haddock this is not fine dining but a gastro pub so I imagine most people would expect more.The staff were very good and attentive and it was a lovely evening and every table was taken.
Breakfast the following morning was at the same high standard i.e. Dorset cereals fresh kippers and delicious eggs Benedict. The staff are all friendly and made us feel very welcome. It is difficult to say if it is good value for money as the staff acting on our daughters instructions declined to reveal any of the cost .

Room Tip: Not the Moon Wild if you are early to bed
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Jhonnie D, General Manager at Bell Inn Ticehurst, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
We are delighted you had such a lovely treat and thank you for highlighting the water issue in the room. The bottled water is free but it is kept in the mini bar fridge, we need to make that clearer.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We decided to escape London for an evening and spent the night in Ticehurst at the Bell Inn. It was gastro pub meets roaring fire country pub meets funky and well designed bedrooms. The combination worked.

As a Londoner heading to the country for a weekend I think I tend to look for 3 things: an expanse of green space, country markets and farms and a slower pace. This time I got all three.

We booked ourselves a table in the pub restaurant and good thing we did as I came to realise that on a Saturday night the Bell was indeed the place to be. To get one of their seven rooms on a Saturday night would be a feat until the end of the year but the restaurant seemed to be equally popular.

My starter of Curried Parsnip Soup with Onion Bhaji sounded interesting but was a little bland. I always think that if you’re selling an idea of cuisine i.e: India - hot, fragrant, spiced, then you should live up to that and unfortunately this needed a lot of salt and I asked for some fresh chillies. Eddy’s Crab with Toast was wonderful however. I wanted his but he didn’t want to swap!

My main of Belly Pork with Mash and Black Pudding was nice but the pork was far too fatty. The ratio of meet to fat must have been 30 to 70, which was too much for me. Everything else on the plate was perfectly fine though and I had a few bites of Eddy’s Spanish inspired Cod with Chorizo/Tomato Stew. The Cod he was given was ample and moist and the stew was flavoursome. Again he didn’t want to swap.

We ended with the Sticky Toffee Pudding. No faults to note there.

The vibe and feel of the place was pleasant and although the food was not a total hit I forgave it because the rooms and people were lovely. It came to £54 including drinks and for what we got we were happy to pay.

The following morning our included breakfast was brilliant. My Eggs Benedict hit the spot. Eggs were perfectly runny and Eddy liked his Full English. We sat in the same spot that we’d had dinner, but this time we were alone and the sun was melting the previous nights frost. A peachy end to a lovely night.

I think the rooms were my favourite part though. They were done so well and with such thought and taste and I know some people wouldn’t love this but we revelled in being allowed to have our dog in our room with us. It was also nice to have her at our feet while we had brekkie.

The Bell Inn
8/10

Room Tip: I saw one other room which didn't compare to the one we had. Go for Stranger than Truth
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Praise indeed, thank you. Perhaps next time order whatever he is having! We look forward to welcoming you back again when you need respite from London.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

Can't think of a better place to ring in the new year, the food was to die for, the bubbles flowed & my feet are still sore from a most excellent boogie!! Excellent value - I would've paid the money for the food alone....

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Jhonnie D, General Manager at Bell Inn Ticehurst, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
So glad you had a good time. We try and keep New Year as affordable as possible for everyone. Hope 2014 is good for you and we see a lot of you!
South London
Reviewed 1 January 2014

If you want something a little more adventurous for a night away, then try The Bell. The room was large, sumptuous and full of little surprises, the only down-side was that we brought the kids! The breakfast was good, lovely pastries and dorset cereals and great quality sausages etc. (few more bread options please).I love the decor, I love the ambience, I love the fun of the place - and the prices are extremely reasonable for somewhere so special.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great but very individual - perhaps speak to a member of staff about what you'...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
We love the fact that you think us adventerous and couldn't be more delighted with your review, Thank you.
Swansea
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We booked on lastminute.com to stay at The Bell only to receive a phone call within a couple of minutes to say that there had been a mix up and we couldn't stay there. The receptionist was really helpful and organised for us to stay at a local B&B which was superb. She even booked us a taxi to pick us up from the B&B and return us after dinner. Well beyond the call of duty!
We arrived a little early for dinner and had a drink in the bar before taking our table. The food was exceptionally good and I wonder at the comments made about the portion sizes - I had lobster which was a perfect portion - and is one of those dishes that can be a bit on the small size. The restaurant and bar were very busy but the service was excellent.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
What a shame you couldn't stay with us but thank you so much for writing such a lovely review. We hope you will try and stay again and enjoy one of our great rooms as well as a good meal. Do call Zoe direct on 01580 200234 to book and cut out the middle man!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ticehurst
Dale Hill Hotel and Golf Club
Star & Eagle Hotel
Star & Eagle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Goudhurst
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa

Been to Bell Inn Ticehurst? Share your experiences!