“Fabulous”
Review of Bell Inn Ticehurst

Bell Inn Ticehurst
Ranked #1 of 3 Ticehurst B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Recently stayed here for one night. It was truly amazing. Our room was so well decorated with little touches to add interest. Bed was so comfortable it was a struggle to get up in the morning. We ate at The Bell in the evening and had breakfast the following day the food was brilliant we couldn't fault it. All the staff were friendly and so helpful even though it was a very busy bank holiday Monday. Would definitely go back again the only problem would be which room to choose next time. Thank you to all the staff for making our stay so memorable

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Jhonnie D, General Manager at Bell Inn Ticehurst, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words. We're delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We booked a table for four on Easter Sunday, the food was ok. I do think its a little mean to just give 7 chips with a home made burger! I was looking forward to a lamb roast but, unfortunately they did not have lamb on the menu it was haggot, not quite mutton but in the way. My other half had the haggot it was extremely fatty as lamb is but to the point where there was a lot more fat on the plate than meet. Last thing I was say about service is when we asked for a vegetarian option we where told that they don't have one but they could take the meet out of the roast! I'm really easy to please but this was very dissapointing.

• Stayed: April 2014
7  Thank Limetab
Jhonnie D, General Manager at Bell Inn Ticehurst, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thank you taking the time to post. We're sorry you were disappointed with your Sunday lunch.

The chips are hand cut and triple cooked which we feel gives a better quality of chip. The chips are larger than you would receive in many other pubs and are not taken from the freezer, so as far as potato content goes you will receive more here than at our competitors.

There was a vegetarian option on the menu and I'm sorry if this wasn't made clear. (Gnocchi, a potato dumpling, pan fried and served with sautéed wild mushrooms). As regards one of our staff members suggesting a roast without the meat, we find this hard to believe as this is not how they have been trained and we will investigate.

Finally, hogget is a lamb in its second year which we use as, having lived longer, it has a deeper flavour. The meat is sourced from our local farm, Coopers Farm, and our Head Chef, Richard Kirkwood, finds their meat second to none in terms of flavour, texture and consistency. Our chefs were conscious that there was slightly more fat on the meat compared to lamb so were removing it.

Once again, our apologies that your meal didn't come up to your expectations.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Attended a wedding here,although "quirky" I found it very dark and gloomy. Floors pretty uneven and rather too many steps, several trip hazards if you aren't careful. Wedding breakfast not great . Staff very helpful and polite.Rooms, once again dark and no mirrors in convenient places.Bathroom fine but again very dark.Bed big and comfortable. The owners have tried to make it different but to an older person I wouldn't recommend it , although young people would probably like it. I wouldn't stay again.

1  Thank toneshirl
Jhonnie D, General Manager at Bell Inn Ticehurst, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your views with us. You raise some valid points. The Bell is quirky and different to most venues, intentionally so. We do have a number of older guests who just love the place but we do appreciate that it is not going to be everyone's cup of tea. Your kind comments about our staff are very much appreciated by all those who work hard to make the bride and groom's day special.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

It's a shame I have to give this an average rating. It could be top of the list.

We booked all 7 rooms for 2 nights during the Aug heat wave 2013. As a result, with windows open, the rooms at the front were very noisy from traffic. However, everyone was very happy with the standard and cleanliness of the rooms. Very quirky and 'different'. We did notice a few details were showing signs of ware, so I hope they keep up their maintenance!

The staff couldn't have been nicer. I have to make a specific mention of James who was outstanding in his customer service, but we have no complaints about anyone, as they were all friendly, courteous and helpful.

The 2nd evening, we had a private party for 21 in the Stable with a Table. A max of 22 is quoted for the table. I would say this really is pushing it very slightly. In my opinion, ideal for 18, ok for 20, pushing it at 22. It's a fantastic space to use (we made use of the snug too). We proved our own music, and in all...had a brilliant evening.

Generally, we found the food to be a bit...erm....well...great idea's but lacked something. A touch expensive for what's served, but I have paid more for worse! In all, I'd say the food is NOT a deal breaker, but it's not the reason to go there. Oh...the breakfast is great...but service was a bit slow!

I did feel there was a lack of relaxing outside space for guests. To be fair, we were there in heat wave, so would have appreciated better outside space, but I doubt it would get much use normally. We don't have the weather for it!

The biggest issue for me (as organiser) was getting the booking in the first place (I nearly gave up), and a following error with the booking, which caused a good deal of stress! The Gorgeous Jhonnie (General Manager), did try hard to make things good...and ultimately all worked out fine. I don't know if this was a one off, but I think admin needs to be worked on.

All in all, we all have great memories of our time at The Bell. I would recommend it for a private event, however, you need to keep on top of things.

Room Tip: rooms at the back are quieter!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank terry h
Jhonnie D, General Manager at Bell Inn Ticehurst, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post, Terry, and for the lovely remarks about our staff, especially James. We have a new Rooms and Events Manager, Zoe, who has put systems in place that make the booking experience a much better one now – we can only apologise for the problems you encountered last year. With regard to the table in the stable, we often seat 22 people around that table and feel comfortable offering it for 22, so can only apologise if you felt otherwise.

On the whole, though, it seems you had a good time and I hope we can welcome you back again.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

What a truly wonderful place to get married, I am a photographer who has been to hundreds of venues, The Bell Inn was brilliant, wonderful food, staff, atmosphere and cosy, nothing was to much trouble and the time turnaround of the room in-between the couple getting married and the reception was incredible, the registrar performing the service was truly fantastic...... also late night Bacon Rolls were delicious!!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Jhonnie D, General Manager at Bell Inn Ticehurst, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

From someone who sees a lot of wedding venues, your review means a lot to us. Thank you for taking the time to post and for letting us have a sneak preview of a couple of the wedding pics!

Reviewed 20 February 2014

The Bell Inn has to now be my favourite pub in Britain. My boyfriend and I recently stayed as a late Valentine's escape and didn't want to leave! Not only was our room enchanting and cozy, but also spotlessly clean and well kept. The staff clearly take great pride in working here, either by making guests feel extremely welcome or by producing award-standard food.

The Bell Inn is, for us, a pub that ticks all the boxes whether you are coming for dinner or staying the night. Thank you very much for having us both and we look forward to a return visit sometime soon!

Room Tip: We stayed in 'Hush of the Trees' which is at the front of the pub. This room is spacious an...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. We're delighted you enjoyed your stay so much that you want to return - we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We visited The Bell on Valentine's night albeit for my sister's and her husband's birthdays and we were seated in the "Stable with the table"! Lovely place, the food was really good, good wine and our waitress was extremely attentive. Really excellent service and would love to visit again

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank NicolaJL
Jhonnie D, General Manager at Bell Inn Ticehurst, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post and for such a lovely review. We’re glad you had a good time and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ticehurst
Mercure Tunbridge Wells
#2 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells
Horsted Place
Horsted Place
#2 of 2 in Little Horsted

Been to Bell Inn Ticehurst? Share your experiences!