“How could lunch so expensive be so bad?”
Review of The Old Vine

The Old Vine
Ranked #2 of 11 Restaurants in Wadhurst
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Great little country pub near Bewl Water / Tunbridge Wells, Wadhurst
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We used to live in this area some 20 years ago and this pub had great reputation for it's food. It has everything, great location, low beams and oldie-world interior and really friendly waitresses...unfortunately whoever runs the kitchen doesn't really seem to care about what goes out to the customer. We were nearby on a trip last week so did a detour ride down memory lanes. We called in for Sunday Lunch and my wife and I ordered roast beef. I thought it a bit expensive at £12 but it used to be so good - what the heck? It was delivered promptly and the first thing that struck us was the completely burnt Yorkshire puddings....actually charcoal laced! This was covered over very well by a sprinkling of salad leaves so you had to discover the blackness once the waitress had left. The roast beef was the next shock...we found it hard to believe how any one could carve a slice of beef so thinly- it was almost see-through and surrounded on all sides by loads of fat! The land lady did the usual standard question after about 10 minutes..."was everything alright?". "Not really" I said pointing to the pile of fat and the very burnt yorkie. With an almost indignant air she asked if I wanted another one yorkie...no apology for even daring to put it on the plate and covering it with salad in the first place. I declined for fear of another burnt offering and she disappeared faster than a whippet! The puddings to follow looked good on the menu but we'd well and truely had enough.

Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

Having looked at the menu on line I was excited about the food (I love lobster) finding that there was no lobster I decided to start with prawns then have fillet stake how can any good chef get these ingredients wrong! Enough said! If you want a good country pud don't go.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

It was my friend's birthaday so I decided to invite her to a nice restaurant for lunch.We found the old vine on internet .It was not far from my friend's house so we went there . Place was very old English Style and people very nice. I had fish with rice and salad.Very good and for dessert creme brule. I enjoed for tasted food and the gentle service . I hardly recommende to everyone needs to spend relaxing time in a wonderful countryside such as Wadhurst.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

Recommended by our host we went to this restaurant. The emplyees were very polite and helped us through a very pleasant and tasty evening.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

Years ago The Old Vine used to have an enviable reputation, but we haven't visited for a long time since we live out of the area. My partner and I were in the vicinity and had lunch at The Old Vine the other day. I expected the place to be really busy, but when we arrived there were hardly any other people there, so there wasn't much in the way of ambience.

We looked at the menu and discovered that it was more limited than that shown on the website, which was disappointing. My partner was going to have chicken but discovered that this was not available. Despite the fact that there were very few customers we waited for over half an hour for our meal. When it came it was ok, but nothing more. The salad was drenched in dressing - which is fine if you happen to like the flavour and want lots of it. It would have been better to have been offered a selection of dressings to be able to serve yourself.

Overall, we thought that the whole experience was disappointing for what we paid. We won't be rushing back I'm sorry to say.