“Brilliant Food & Harveys Beer”
Review of The Old Vine

The Old Vine
Ranked #3 of 11 Restaurants in Wadhurst
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Great little country pub near Bewl Water / Tunbridge Wells, Wadhurst
Wadhurst, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Food & Harveys Beer”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Fantastic all round Pub, Brilliant Food, Harveys Beer, Great Atmosphere, & Access to Bewl Water Lake.

Visited April 2014

london
“Best pub roast in years!”
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Really cannot fault this place for a Sunday roast and I am
Fussy! 5 of us ate here. 3 beef dinners a turkey and a veg roast. They even went out of their way to make me cheese sauce as the gravy was made with meat. Read previous note re beef roast and was totally opposite the meat eaters were very impressed. Portion sizes large lots of veg. If there was one slight negative the Yorkshire pudding was slightly crisp. We also have deep fried Brie which was yum. Would def recommend and go back. It was a great treat to actually have a home made roast made for me!

Ticehurst, United Kingdom
“How things change”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I hadn't been in here for a couple of years and I understand the place has changed hands since. The food always used to be excellent "gastro" style, although quite expensive, always good.

I recently went back for a Sunday lunch and boy has the quality dropped. Claiming to be homemade, which it is clearly not - more like wholesale bulk buy, poor quality stuff. The gravy which accompanied the machine cut, tasteless beef, had a horrible synthetic feel and a nothingness sort of taste to it.

One to avoid.

1 Thank Ian M
Wadhurst, United Kingdom
“Quaint olde world pub in Cousley Wood - The Old Vine”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The Old Vine is our local pub and we frequent it at least once a week. Sunday lunch there is an absolute must!

The pub itself is very quaint and features beams and inglenook fire place. During the winter months there are normally 2 log fires burning but always one. The landlord and landlady are really personable people and always ready to have a chat. Very friendly.

The quality of the food is excellent and portions somewhat on the large side :-) The menu is changed regularly and there is something for all tastes.

The pub also offers regular entertainment.

For anybody wishing to visit, I would recommend booking as it gets very busy - especially on Sundays!

1 Thank Tina O
Daventry, United Kingdom
“Very Cosy Pub - Food Could Be Better.”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

My sister lives locally and wanted to take me out to dinner - very nice too I thought, so she brought me here. It proved to be a good choice. It was a cold evening, so to be greeted by a roaring log fire in an inglenook with dining tables so close, they may as well been in the fire! Of course, we sat right there and having ordered our food at the bar, waited for our food.

My starter of wrapped prawns with chilli dip, were straight from the freezer with chilli dip straight from a bottle - nice but hardly imaginative. For main course, my sister had the aubergine bake, which was a ratatouille mixture with mashed potato topping served in a ceramic pot. Again, she said it was nice but hardly pioneering stuff. My gourmet chicken burger arrived a few minutes later, but was in fact a piece of poached chicken stuffed with spinach! I returned it and waited about ten minutes for my burger to arrive. Served in a nice quality bun, it was a butterflied breast fillet with mozzarrella and pesto topping. Tasy as it was, the dish was let down by the fact that chef had chosen the cheap sliceable mozzarrella which just doesn't have the fine taste of the buffalo varieties. The pesto was not a good one either - much better to make it yourself! The saving grace for the dish in my opinion was the lovely (homemade?) coleslaw and nicely presented salad which were served alongside. All in all though, for the price - £22 just for food, I have to say I've eaten better. Nevertheless, the waitress was charming, attentive and couldn't have apologised enough when the burger order went wrong.