The Best Beech Inn
The Old Vine(Wadhurst)
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed here just one night as we were going to a concert at Bedgebury Pinetum (Paloma Faith - she was great!)
The landlady is very friendly and welcoming, and overall this is a comfortable pub to stay in. The room was nice and quiet, the bed comfy and the sheets and towels of a good quality.
We had the cooked breakfast and really enjoyed it.
If we were every in the area again, we'd happily stay here.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KG4NG
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We went to The Best Beech for Sunday lunch today.The restaurant was rather quiet with just a few diners.The meal was nice but the vegetables were rather hard.The choice of dessert. was somewhat limited and the cheese board was more expensive than the sweet.The staff were nice .and attentive and couldn't be faulted.Overall our visit was average but we will try it again maybe during the week.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
BestBeechWadhurst, Owner at The Best Beech Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am sorry you didn't like the vegetables. All our food is fresh and locally sourced and we like to cook the vegetables al dente rather than over cooking to preserve the goodness and flavour. I am sure my staff would have checked with you that your food was to your liking as I insist they do this at least once during people's meals, maybe something could have been said at the time and we could rectified this at the time.

Our cheese board is made up of locally made award wining cheeses which are quite dear to buy in, hence we have to charge slightly more.

I hope this responce helps and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 13 April 2013

As a female travelling alone, I found the overall experience to be somewhat scary. I was the only guest the night I stayed, and was disturbed to find that I appeared to be completely alone in the building overnight. By 11 p.m., the place was dark, silent and locked up. It was difficult to find the light switches in the hallways, a problem that could easily be solved by adding the illuminated switches used in other similar establishments in which I have stayed. It was only at 11:15 p.m., as I was about to leave the building to collect something from my car, that I discovered that I could not get out the way I had come in. Since I saw no illuminated exit signs, it took a while to locate the one door which was unlocked, an obscure side entrance. This door was operated by a keypad and would have locked behind me had I gone outside, in which case I would not have had access to my phone or to any staff member to let me back in. It was only later that I found a typed sheet on the dressing table, which gave an alphanumeric code for the keypad, along with the information that this was the only door that could be used after 11 p.m. This vital piece of information should be made clear to all guests by the individual who checks them in. Upon reflection, it chills me to think what might have happened had there been a fire.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. As a country pub, mid week we are often closed by around 11pm, with the pub obviously locked and secured. I can assure you you weren't alone in the pub. My wife and I live on site as does one of my chefs, whose room was 2 doors away from your room. In case of a fire we have a full fire alarm system with safety lights and illuminated exit signs throughout the entire building clearly indicating exit routes. We are in the country so it is quiet at night. We do point out to all guests that we have a coded entrance at the side of the building and the code is written on the welcome sheet in every room. I hope this helps to alleviate any concerns you may have. We also encourage guests to raise any concerns with us and as you said nothing while you were staying to us there is nothing we can do to put things right, like maybe leaving some more lights on for you if we don't know there is a problem.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Being from Canada, we have thoroughly enjoyed the pub experience over the past two months of our tour of England. The Best Beech Inn has to be at the top of our list.
Firstly, when we found ourselves lost and unable to find our accommodation, a gentleman at the bar kindly showed us how to get to our bed and breakfast, which apparently wasn't too far from the pub. We were very grateful after going around in circles for over an hour. I count that as pretty good service!!

We then had dinner twice at this pub, and can only say that both times we had great food, exemplary service from the loveliest of servers, Ebony, (I hope I have her name correct), and two very pleasant and enjoyable evenings.

The quality and quantity of the good was very good, and at what we felt was a reasonable cost.
After having eaten at many different kinds of venues over these past two months, we found that this was just good simple comfort food, not pretentious fine dining. Although, I must admit that our shared starter of an antipasti plate was delicious, and certainly trendy enough for those discerning diners.

We enjoyed it. So will you!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scotia-7
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Having booked a table for 5 adults mid week for tonight (Saturday) we were all excited at heading out as a family for dinner and drinks.

Upon arrival it took a while waiting at the bar until we were shown to our table. We were not asked if we wished to order drinks nor given a menu to view. Upon waiting a while I went to the Bar to order our drinks. I want to add here that had I been told at the time of being shown to my table that there is no table service I would not have minded going to the bar for drinks and food orders. From getting my drinks I was at this time still none the wiser about the lack of table service and so went to the bar to order our dinner choices. Upon ordering I asked if there was any chance of table service I got a not so welcoming reply of not really when the bar is busy.
Our food (main courses) came out in two stages, which was fine and to be expected for a table of 5 people. However, it was not expected that upon ordering 3 cod and chips we would be given one pollock and chips?! Surely when I ordered at the bar I should and could have been told that there were only 2 cod and chips available and so I would have ordered myself a different main course. The food was satisfactory but I would not choose to eat here again, the quantity was good for money however the quality wasn't that great. As for the service, or lack of, that most definitely will make myself and family not return. So a very disappointing evening for us all. I would like to add that myself and family are keen at leaving a tip for well deserved service and so no tip was left tonight.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
BestBeechWadhurst, Owner at The Best Beech Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2013

We are very sorry that you felt this way, as we always try to go the extra mile to ensure people get great food and great service from the whole team here. Saturday was a very busy day for us and we were a member of staff down. We do ask people to order at the bar and we have this written on the menus, so my staff can focus on serving people.

We would like to offer you a free meal and a drink as way of apology, which I hope you will accept

Spence, Landlord