“Sunday birthday party.”

Price range: US$0 - US$25
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

Having visited on a couple of previous occasions, both on a Sunday, we decided to hold my husbands 60th lunch at the Greyhound. We were offered the whole restaurant for our 26 guests. Shula and her team were great, ensuring we were supplied with everything we needed and plenty of extra vegetables. The wine choices were very suitable and enjpyed by everyone not driving. The ambience of the Inn gave a lovely feel to the day. As this is not local to any of our guests it certainly was agreed by all that there could not have been a better choice.
Would recommend the Inn, for any occasion as there is also a large function room on the first floor. However just wonderful for a casual pop in and food after a walk in the wonderfull Weald of Kent

Reviewed 11 October 2013

My wife recently had to have an operation at a nearby hospital so we needed a place to stay close to the hospital due to an early appointment time.

We were a little late arriving in the evening and were greeted warmly. We were advised that the kitchen had closed but the land lord & lady said that they were happy to accommodate us! My wife had soup and I had the pie...both were super tasty and served quickly!

I dropped my wife off and came back to pack up to be greeted by my breakfast. My breakfast was amazing..I'm very picky about my fry ups and this had it all...bacon sausage, eggs (anyway you want them), beans, black pudding, fried bread al served up looking sophisticated yet hearty( a rare combination!)

We will be returning again and again! I hear there roasts are to die for!!

1  Thank MrLuvDubz
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Stayed at the pub overnight and so decided to eat in the restaurant on the day of our arrival. What a good decision this turned out to be - despite there being a large group at the adjoining table we were made feel most welcome and were given enough, but not too much, attention.

The starters of risotto croquettes and particularly the mackerel pate were excellent, especially with the copious quantities of toasted ciabatta as the accompaniment to the pate. Friday night was also fish and chip night so it just had to be done - well cooked (with home made tartar sauce) and with a decent bottle of Gavi to round off the meal - we were so full from the generous portions that no dessert was necessary. All in for well under £50 so good value and money felt to be well spent!

We were proposing to eat at another restaurant on the next evening but thought why go elsewhere and we made the decision to eat here again. Hmmm! What a contrast - we couldn't resist another helping of the pate but this time it appeared with a tiny portion of toast and, for some strange reason a helping of a chutney that might have gone well with a cheese board but didn't pair with the pate at all. The pate was still excellent and when we asked, extra toast was supplied, but it just didn't seem as though the extra thought that went into the night before remained. The lamb tagine main course was only average and the lemon posset and blackberry coulis - although excellently flavoured was served in a tall glass with a small spoon - a messy operation trying to consume ... either give us a longer spoon or serve in a different bowl!

Overall we found the food and service above average but just a little short of what could have been.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

We recently dined with friends at the Greyhound. I am not a person to complain lightly but feel our experience could be summarised in one word - awful. The fish was soggy and the presentation unappealing (six chunky chips stacked in a tower, no tartar sauce, no lemon?). Service was slow and the staff apathetic at best. Two of our party were ill afterwards - coincidence? I doubt it. Having since googled their food hygiene rating as 1 out of 5 it confirms my thoughts; I won't be back.

3  Thank Esme_51
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Avarage pub food, but the children seem to very wellcome and that´s a nice thing! Large playground for children outside. Big plus is the friendly and helpful staff.