Chalk Farm Hotel
Waterside Hotel(Eastbourne)
  • Breakfast included
Langham Hotel(Eastbourne)
  • Beachfront
All reviewslearning disabilitiesgarden centrechalk farmlovely old hotelfamily weddinga great nights sleepeastbourne town centreserved hotsunday lunchsconesshort breakafternoon teaother guestsexcellent value for moneyfull englishgood sizeanimal farm
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 August 2012 via mobile

Very cute place and good decoration but without a shower in most of the rooms and with a very poor service... You become surprised when you kearn from the receptionist that they buy eggs from supermarket in spite of the fact that the hotel gives the impression of belonging or related to the farm!

In the first day there was no kitter box in ghe bathroom and it was placed only in the scond day. The receptionist seems to live in anorher planet with no sense of service. You become even more surprised when you are reminded by banging on the door that in this hotel
The check out time is only 10:30 am !...

if you can stand having no shower at all and not surprised when you ask for a cheese in your breakfast because they don't normally serve it, then stay here.

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Utku67
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Great place for non-church wedding. Excellent weather set the mood for civil marriage & our Annie (Smith) had everything organized as planned. Good buffet & friendly bar staff.
Disco in evening including another buffet enjoyed by everyone. Well done!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2012

John.C Durham
My wife and myself first stayed at Chalk farm 10 years ago to attend a family function,the hotel was well run and the staff extremely friendly.The Hotel is small in a quiet location with well maintained gardens giving the hotel a relaxing atmosphere ,The food has always been excellent. We enyoyed our stay so much we have returned every year since and it has become our base for visiting our relatives in the area.Our last visit was in June 2012 There had been upgrades to most areas of the hotel and again we had a problem free visit,We will be returning to Chalk Farm shortly for a family birthday party and have no doubt the hotel will continue to meet our expectations

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2012

We were recommended this hotel by a cousin who lives nearby as we needed to attend a funeral and the reception afterwards was held here so it was very convenient.
We had a spacious double room (with an extra single bed in) for myself and my husband with ensuite. The room overlooked the front of the hotel but it was very quiet and peaceful.
The double bed was against the window wall and radiator so a single would also fit but I think this room would be better as a double only. As we are retired, having to climb over each other to visit the bathroom or get a drink became a little bit tedious and a couple of times I kicked the radiator in the night which hurt. Could not open the window ( not even the bathroom) as screwed shut ( health and safety I presume) and as quilt was quite a high TOG rating we felt rather hot. The second night we took the quilt out and just used the cover.
Breakfast was very good, choice of cereals ( no mention of porridge though) but only orange juice. Full English was lovely and plenty of coffee, tea and toast.
The buffet provided after the funeral was really good, with some really tasty items and the service was brilliant.
The staff were very helpful and informative and I would recommend Chalk Farm for a peaceful getaway with beautiful gardens.

Room Tip: Small number of rooms but all seemed to be overlooking gardens or the South Downs
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
laza7, General Manager at Chalk Farm Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

Thank you for providing your review. We are sorry to see that you found the
room layout not ideal for your needs. We do appreciate this important feedback
and would like to reassure you that we have reviewed the rooms and removed extra beds where necessary so should you choose to stay with us again, we
will of course make every effort to make your stay as comfortable as possible.
We are sorry that we were not aware of the issues described and were unable to
resolve these points at the time of your stay with us.

Some of the guest room windows are secured for the safety of our younger guests
however please be rest assured that we always have staff on site that are able
to make adjustments, whether that be providing access to open windows or moving
furniture to make your stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.

We are delighted that you enjoyed the catering, both breakfast and the buffet
that was provided by our catering team for the reception that you attended at
our hotel.. We look forward to making your next stay with us as pleasurable as
possible.

Reviewed 21 July 2012

I was recommended Chalk Farm Hotel by my parents who had stayed there previously.

I found the staff extremely helpful as I was staying there with my partner and a toddler. Although they could have offered a travel cot, I brought my own (out of habit), and they put us up in a large family room with a double and single bed so we had plenty of room to spread out our things. We did give them some notice, so they were able to put us at the opposite end of the hotel (next to an office) from where other guests were staying so our toddler wouldn't disturb any other guests during the night - I thought this was very thoughtful of them, as there is nothing worse than thinking you are ruining the experience for other people when you stay somewhere with a young child.

The bathroom was quite interesting, as you have to duck down to get into the shower, but this is all part of the quirkiness of the hotel - I love things like this.

I will definitely be staying there again, hopefully when it's not raining next time, so I can appreciate the beautiful gardens. I thought the price was also very reasonable.

Room Tip: Call as soon as you can if staying with a young child so the hotel can accommodate you and offer you the best room for using a travel cot in
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for providing your review, we are delighted that you enjoyed your
stay with us. The hotel is indeed an interesting building with lots of low
ceilings and unusual features; we are pleased that you enjoyed these too. We
are fortunate that our rooms are so spacious that they are ideal, as you say,
for families to spread out and relax.
We are delighted that you have said that you will be returning to stay with us
again. Hopefully next time the weather will be warmer and you will be able to
enjoy sitting in the lovely gardens too.