“Wish it was my second home.............”

Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wych Cross
London
“Wish it was my second home.............”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

I stayed at the Ashdown Park for 2 consecutive weeks on business. The first week, I had the biggest room I have ever had in any hotel anywhere in the world. It was so big that I could barely see the TV in the distance. In my second week, I had the beautiful room at the end of the main building with a verandah - shame the weather was so awful!
The beds are comfortable; I love the Nespresso coffee machines in the rooms and the Molton Brown toiletries.
The standard of the service is superb; the food is good and the waiting staff very attentive. I had a lot of contact with the front of house staff and the conference office and found everybody to be very helpful and understanding, even with some very odd requests from colleagues from around the world!
It is in a marvellous location with lots of amenities. I would love to stay there again, and can thoroughly recommend a stay there. You can even arrive by helicopter if you have one!

Room Tip: Ask for the room in the main building with the balcony - there's only one
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Honeypot54321
APHGM, General Manager at Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 19 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your valuable feedback and can I say how pleased I was to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us. I will be sure to pass you comments onto all concerned, who I know will be as pleased as I that you have been left with such a positive experience.

I, and the rest of the team, will look forward to welcoming you back with us but until then if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Ben Booker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Greek first
Lingfield
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

I booked a stay for a special British gourmet dinner and night for my partner 40th b’day and I wanted to make it as special as possible and unfortunately I thought the hotel staff will share this effort but sadly they did not. We were informed a day earlier that there is no big dinner event (as it was planned) just few people divided into separate tables which was not at all what we wanted or expected but being informed about it day before did not give me any chance to rearange my plans so I thought I’ll try. From the beginning to the end of the stay we were treaded with minimum attention. As I mentioned earlier the dnner was nothing as I expected…. We even had to ask to have the aperitif served to us as nobody was bothered. I requested several times to have little b’day cake for my partner in our room and how disappointed I was when we came in and there was nothing…. In the morning we wnet downstairs to have cold breakfast – cold becon, cold eggs, cold sausages and no coffee available ‘cos machine is not working!’. It was very disappointing experience and I am not going to go back to this place any more and will suggest the same to all my friends. It's sad as the building and gardens are amazing.... just the hotel management is not as great....

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Ania_Lingfield
APHGM, General Manager at Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Dear Ania_Lingfield

Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback after you recent stay and can I say how sorry I was to read that aspects of your stay did not live up to expectation. I can assure you that this far from our usual high standards and I sincerely apologise for any disappointment.

As noted in my e-mail to you, I too was extremely disappointed by the lower than expected numbers at our Gourmet Evening and I am sorry that sitting as a table of 2, rather than part of a group, caused an upset.

I am also disappointed that the cake arrangements were not followed up upon. It is clear that this was requested in you initial enquiry so we should have asked further questions on this point. Again this is most uncharacteristic of our levels of attention to detail.

Breakfast service is also disappointing and the Chef and Restaurant Manager will carry out the necessary re-training where necessary.

I hope that my correspondence to you personally have gone some way in restoring your faith in Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club and I, with the team, hope we can welcome you back with us in the very near future.

Yours sincerely

Heathfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

From the moment we saw the hotel & booked the date everythink went like a dream, infact it was a fairy tale wedding. Both myself & my husband to be were treated like royals, nothing & I mean nothing was to much trouble. The food was out of this world & the service the whole time was second to none.All the staff were out of this world, polite, helpful & very very cheerful.All in all I can not fault the whole day. I would highly recommend this hotel for your wedding, thank you to everyone at Ashdown Park Hotel

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to post your valuable feedback and can I say how pleased I was to read that you had an enjoyable Wedding Day with us and all your expectations were met. I will be sure to pass you comments onto all concerned, who I know will be as pleased as I that you have been left with such a positive experience.

I, and the rest of the team, will look forward to welcoming you back with us (your first anniversary perhaps) but until then if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Horam, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

Ashdown Park is less than an hour's drive from where I live, so I know the area quite well. I stayed at this upscale hotel over the weekend on a "three nights for the price of two" offer in conjunction with my son's wedding reception at the hotel after the marriage ceremony at Saint Swithun's church in nearby East Grinstead. The main part of the reception took place in the former chapel, now part of the hotel - a truly superb setting for the celebration.
There is a herd of deer in the hotel's parkland - they have no road sense at all, and will run suddenly out of the shrubbery in front of your slowly-moving car.
Our room in the East Wing was an Executive room - a double upgrade which we appreciated very much. We had a queen-size bed, rather too springy for "old rambler 62". My preference is the bigger firmer king-size bed which I had in Newcastle-upon-Tyne a few days earlier (see my trip report). The lighting in the room was nice but dim - low energy bulbs just bright enough to illuminate the dense lampshades but not much else. We had a large well-lit bathroom which was the best (perhaps the only?) place to read a newspaper in the evening when there was no daylight. There was no fridge but I gather that this may have been available on request. There was no heat control for reducing the too-warm climate in the room. The is no air-conditioning but there is fresh country air to be enjoyed if you open a window.
We worked up an appetite for breakfast during the long walk from our bedroom to the dining room. Everything on the help-yourself "continental" breakfast table is labelled, even the prunes and cornflakes which I recognised without difficulty. I was pleased to see that some items were labelled "organic". There was a choice of milks (soya, skimmed, whole). The cooked breakfast of my choice was brought to my table. I erred on our first morning (of three) by splashing a single drop of prune juice on the heavy white linen tablecloth, so subsequently I used my huge clean white napkin to catch any future spillages. Clearly I am not used to such fine dining at this time of day. A proper cup of tea (tea leaves, not teabags) was poured for me by Estelle - perfectly well-groomed, in smart uniform.
The quality of breakfast food was absolutely excellent, such as the sausages and bacon. The orange juice had the taste of "freshly squeezed", not the cheaper long-life juice. (The juice test is becoming one of my standard checks).
My "full English breakfast" on day three came without black pudding and baked beans.
A minor fault with my tea/coffee tray in the bedroom was that some of the individual UHT milks were past their "Best before" dates by 15 days. This was immediately rectified by a senior housekeeper. At least it was liquid milk, not the powdered milk sometimes provided by lesser hotels. This is now another of my standard checks.
I used the indoor swimming pool in the "Country Club" on my Sunday evening, and had the whole pool to myself. Late on Monday morning there was a slight delay to my swim because a members "Aqua Class" was still in progress.
The jogging trails are akin to a cross-country course (muddy when wet, as on my visit) and are badly in need of repair and maintenance, despite the elegant black signposts with their gold lettering. I obtained a free route map of the park from the concierge. Part of one route was closed where a bridge over a deep gully (a stream) was rotten (see picture) - the closure notice was going green due to old age. The paved driveways in the estate are of course all-weather. I found the secluded Secret Garden and the small cemetery where the nuns of old were laid to rest.
The hotel is only 16 miles from London Gatwick airport. There was no intrusive aircraft noise at all, as the hotel is not under a main flight path.
On value for money, we were very satisfied with what we received for £398 for three nights bed & breakfast, but I probably would not pay the standard price for our room, shown when I looked on the website to be £300 per night.
A few minutes after leaving the hotel by car and turning onto the A22 main road at the traffic lights, a deer ran across in front of the car. Deer can seriously damage your car (and maybe you as well). Take great care in this wonderful countryside!
A week after writing this Review, I shall be back in my usual holiday haunts of Vancouver and Richmond B.C., Canada, where the contrast between this superb English country house hotel and my regular city accommodation could not be much greater. Look for "old rambler 62's" updates on those !

Room Tip: There are so many different rooms spread across the hotel complex that you should discuss any partic...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank oldrambler62
Dear Oldrambler 62

South Croydon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

I was taken here for my birthday as a treat. We started the day day with afternoon tea, which consisted of 3 tiers of sandwiches, scones, cakes with endless tea of which there is a great choice. Attentive service whilst seated is capacious arm chairs in the lovely surroundings of what would might have been the old drawing room.

We were upgraded to an executive bedroom upon arrival which was amazing, a king size bed with arm chairs and massive stone fireplace. We had views over the gardens, extending down to the lake.

We ate dinner in the dining room and were spoilt for choice from the extensive wine list separated by region. There are bottles for all budgets. The dinner was sensational, I had beef Wellington which was enormous and perfectly cooked. We enjoyed the amuse bouche and sorbet pallet cleanser in addition to our dishes. The service was attentive and discreet, the wine was always topped up but we never felt crowded.

We were told there were two weddings going on whilst we were there but other than seeing the bride once we would have been none the wiser such was the size of the hotel and presumably the level of organisation.

I would highly recommend this hotel and now look forward to trying others in the Elite hotel range.

• Stayed April 2012
Dear Liammonkey

United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

This was my second visit to the hotel, and after yet another perfect stay it is certainly now one of my firm favourites. The minute you drive through the gates you are amazed, especially to see deer roaming free in the grounds, it feels like you've stepped back in time yet with all the modern amenities we all rely upon today.

We stayed in Room 5 which was immaculate everything was so clean it gleamed, tasteful furnishings, good quality bedding and the most glorious view of the monkey tree and the fountain which made the stay even more fabulous.

We decided to order food to the room and the homemade burger is amazing, tasty, great sized portion and fresh, as well as being fairly priced. We slept soundly and breakfast was another feast for the eyes, everything from breakfast tea and pastries to a fulll english all brought to the room by some of the most attentive professional staff i have seen in any hotel. Check out was also well organised and efficient. I went back to working in my business feeling relaxed and excited to start planning my next trip to the Ashdown Park.

All in all a 5* stay where every need is catered for, cant recommend enough!

Hope to visit again soon!

Room Tip: I really recommend upgrading to a deluxe/executive the view makes all the difference! I have stayed...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Laura H

Cambridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

I love this hotel - the service from the staff is second to none and the bedroom I had was superb. The food was fantastic and even though I stayed on my own I didn't mind sitting in the restaurant on my own. The Chapel is a fantastic conference/event room and the extensive grounds means a lot can be done onsite. It was a real shame it was really foggy when I was there so my pictures didn't turn out great - I will have to go back! Oh and I had a reasonably priced massage which is a miracle for a 5 star hotel!

Recommend this for business and leisure.

Room Tip: Try and get one facing the lake
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank cufccaroline
Dear cufccaroline

I, and the rest of the team, will look forward to welcoming you back with us, when the weather may be a little kinder, but until then if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wych Cross
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,538 reviews
The Roebuck Hotel
The Roebuck Hotel
#1 of 2 in Forest Row

Been to Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!