“Excellent weekend break”

Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wych Cross
Reviewed 11 March 2013

This hotel is great if you want a break away from it all. It is set in some wonderful grounds with plenty of trails for walking if desired and all the usual amenities associated with a Spa hotel.
Our room was located on the top floor of the hotel above the main entrance and although it didn't afford the spectacular views across the forest it was large with a nice comfortable bed and tastefully decorated. The bathroom was on the small side and the shower did lack a bit of pressure. The hot water did seem to take ages to come through which was the only downside but it was fully stocked with Molton Brown shower gel, shampoo and moisturiser and lovely soft towels.
There are plenty of lounges to relax in and drinks and lunches can be served in these if desired.
The food in the restaurant was excellent with a good selection of dishes all severed in that 5 star way. The wine list is huge.
Breakfast was of a buffet style but if you wanted eggs they were prepared fresh and if you wanted your breakfast served with eggs this was possible instead of going to the buffet area. Tea, coffee and and toast were plentiful, although one morning the teapot did contain teabags! Not 5 star! However, after pointing this out a fresh pot of tea with leaves was delivered to the table.
The staff are excellent and friendly and nothing seemed too much trouble.
A wonderful weekend was had by us and our friends and I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MarkMFC

Reviewed 24 February 2013

My wife and I recently spent three nights here and absolutely loved it. The location of the hotel is wonderful. The staff were all extremely friendly and most welcoming. Our room was very spacious,clean and warm and the housekeeping was first rate. The highlight for us had to be the superb quality of food and service in the restaurant ( complete with grand piano). On the whole we had an extremely relaxing break and plan to stay here again next year.

Room Tip: We stayed in the East Wing which was very quiet. ( Lilac room )
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2013

We went here for a 60th birthday. The staff were as friendly as you would like - nothing too much trouble BUT they were quite busy and we had to get up and pour our own wine on a couple of occasions - the waiter rushed over and apologised, the first time but still managed to miss our empty glasses.
The wine list was extensive and very reasonably priced. The rooms were comfortable and large - the TV could have been a little larger but you can't have everything.
All in all a good visit BUT they nearly get everything right but just miss a little.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Stayed here last Saturday night after making a very last minute booking for a Valentine's night "deal" - dinner with wine, room and breakfast.
On the whole it was a good experience but there were a few glitches.
The booking process with offpeakluxury wasn't as straightforward as anticipated and involved a phone call to them on Saturday morning to redeem the voucher it turned out that I had purchased - I was originally under the impression that I had actually made a reservation.

We were told that we had been upgraded to a suite when checking in. The receptionist, I believe it was Amy, was extremely friendly, as were all the staff we encountered.
The room was huge with a grand piano and four poster bed and comfortable seating area. No minibar but tea and coffee making facilities and two bottles of water were available. It overlooked a quiet grassy area backed by trees where several deer were grazing.
The radiators seemed to be blasting out heat so we turned down the thermostats but they were still as hot the next morning.
Unfortunately the same could not be said for the hot water in the bathroom. After I had a comparatively shallow and quick bath we had no more hot water for the rest of our stay. Luckily my husband had showered before leaving home but he had a very cool shower on Sunday morning.
We were told that our dinner reservation was for 9pm which was a little late but we felt understandable as we had booked so late. We headed for the bar/lounge area around 8.30 and sat in a cosy lounge with a log fire and small bar to the rear, there were 2 other couples in there. Eventually a waitress arrived and took our drink order and after this some confusion ensued as I believe an aperitif and canapes were included in our package and we had gone "off piste" - consequently the restaurant waiter and the Valentine's night waiter had to check with us and consult their system more than once to confirm which menu we were having however they were both extremely friendly and enthusiastic.
This meant that it was well after 9 pm when we were taken to our table. This special Valentine's dinner was being served in a room off the reception not in the main restaurant. A pianist was playing in the reception area just outside the door to the room - the usual tinkly, flowery stuff, I was tempted to close the door but fortunately he knocked off around 10.00! I'm not a fan of any music in restaurants as you can't cater to everyone's taste so you just end up with this kind of thing.
It was a limited menu with only two choices per course but we were perfectly happy with them. We both had the smoked salmon starter and then I had the turbot and my husband the Lamberhurst beef. Both were cooked to perfection. We chose the cheese platter to finish and these were all excellent - a good selection of maybe 4 local cheeses including a blue, goat and smoked. Our only quibbles would be that we had to ask to be served bread, which we knew must be available as there was butter on the table, and wine.
Breakfast was a massive dissapointment. Having eaten so late the night before we weren't exactly looking for much but "full English breakfast" was included in our package. We were amazed to see how full the restaurant was and it soon became obvious how badly it was organised.
As soon as we were seated our drinks order was taken and we were asked if we wanted brown, white or a mix of toast. I made the mistake of asking for coffee which arrived in a cafetiere which had already been 'plunged' and was the usual weak stuff that most hotels, even in mainland Europe, seem to think everyone wants. The toast made from thin, sliced bread arrived more or less at the same time which seems crazy as you are presumably going to want this with your cooked breakfast. The breakfast buffet was nothing special - a large selection of cereals but little fruit or yogurt, smoked salmon and cheeses but there was no bread apart from some tiny sesame rolls, though plenty of anaemic looking croissants. Considering how proud they were at dinner of the handmade canapes and artisan chocolates the lack of any artisan breads at breakfast is difficult to understand. The cooked items were being served by one person from a very small station and at times there were probably 10 people queuing whilst their toast was getting cold!
I feel this review has been pretty negative and it wasn't really bad, the food at dinner was fantastic, but expectations are high when staying at a place like this and although it was nice for a spontaneous night away I don't think I would bother to stay there again. We felt there were definitely staffing issues both at dinner and breakfast which led to service being a little slack. I must reiterate that everyone was friendly at all times but they shouldn't have to have been apologising for delays etc. We live close enough just to go for dinner but there are several other similar establishments near to us including Gravetye Manor and Alexander House.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Stayed at Ashdown Park just after New Year with our 2 sons in 2 deluxe rooms. The grounds here are beautiful with deer and rabbits. Our room was cosy with a large bathroom. Our sons were impressed with the large gym and the swimming pool was lovely.Dinner was excellent and the staff were very attentive. Breakfast was very good and the choice quite extensive. We have visited both Luton Hoo and Tylneyhall and overall were most impressed with Ashdown Park. We have already rebooked to return in April .

Room Tip: Understand parkland view rooms are lovely but we were happy with our deluxe rooms
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank pauljane646
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I've stayed at the Ashdown Park Hotel numerous times before on business and it has always been very good, but it has slipped a little recently.

The good:
- As usual, the staff were all very friendly and efficient.
- The grounds/forest/wildlife were magnificent as always - not that I used them much on business.
- The spa, gym, indoor swimming pool facility are top of the class.
- The hotel has a lovely, stylish, traditional English feel to it.
- The breakfasts were the best that I have ever had.
- The bed, pillows, etc were great.

The bad:
- I did not have dinner at the hotel, but I ordered soup and warm baked rolls from room service one evening. The soup was average and the two rolls were each the size of my thumb, hard and not warm.
- There was no hot water in the showers. I left the hot water tap on for about ten minutes, which was enough time for it to increase in temperature from freezing to luke warm. After spending an hour in the gym and with ambient temperatures at zero, this was an unpleasant way to start the day. Furthermore, I complained after the first morning, but it was no better on the second morning.
- My room on the top floor (#17) was more like a loft. It had a tiny window, quite high up and a miniscule TV. Normally I stay in a room on the first floor, which is great.

Perhaps it is a bit harsh to give the hotel three stars when so much is so good; however, it is not cheap so should not be making such basic errors. I will be staying at the Ashdown Park again in a few months - hopefully, I'll be able to write a more positive review thereafter.

Room Tip: I would recommend a park facing room for the magnificent views, but also because the other rooms can...
Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank AustinJohannesburg
Reviewed 3 February 2013

We were invited to my mum in laws 80 th birthday lunch at the hotel and decided to make a weekend of it. I had read the reviews and thought that a stop over with the use of the spa facilities seemed like a good idea.

Very glad we did!

the Anderida restaurant. The food at lunchtime was fab. Table d'hôte menu with really wonderful homemade tomato soup. A birthday cake was made by the restaurant which was Victoria sponges with slices of fresh strawberries and cream running through the middle and it was lovely. The remainder was put into a box to take home.

We ate in the Drawing Rooms in the evening and had homemade burger thick cut chips coleslaw and salad - which was really filling and my husband helped me finish!

We were upgraded to a park view room which was very nice and although our room wasn't quite ready on arrival (because we had arrived early for our lunch date), our bags were taken to our room ready for when our family had left the hotel late afternoon. The room had a lovey view over the lake and countryside.

Breakfast was good in the restaurant on Sunday morning and although the times for being open stated until 10 am, a couple of guests did come down after this time and this did not appear to be a problem. The full English was good and there was plenty of cereals and fruit also.

The service was very good at the hotel and overall the atmosphere was very relaxed with nothing being too much trouble.

We went to the spa on the Saturday evening and one of the reception staff gave us a ride in the 'buggy' to it - even though it is only a short hop. But as it was dark and cold he offered to take us there. It is just a short walk back to the hotel, literally just one or two minutes.

The spa is great with the swimming pool being a good temperature - not at all freezing to get into! The jacuzzi is by the pool and the steam room and sauna are each in both male and female changing rooms. Tried all of them and can recommend. We didn't try any of the treatments so cannot comment.

We would definitely go back for a weekend treat and would recommend to anyone wanting a getaway in great surroundings with really nice staff and a chilled atmosphere.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
#1 of 2 in Forest Row
Horsted Place
Horsted Place
#2 of 2 in Little Horsted

Been to Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!