“Beware of Pot Holes at the entrance to the East Wing” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club

Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wych Cross
“Beware of Pot Holes at the entrance to the East Wing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

This was the wedding venue of a family member, we booked in for a 2 night stay. We arrived the after non before the wedding & originally booked to have dinner on the first night, then after reading the restaurant reviews on trip advisor, decided not to dine in the hotel dining room, this turned out to be sound advice, some of the wedding guests did and all told us it was expensive for such small amounts of food, tasted good, but not worth the money, we had the club sandwich & chips in the lounge, not the best we have eaten but ok, still pricey.
Our room was the Fuchsia Suite, at £165 per room per night B & B for 2, not bad value, the room was a large ground floor room in the East wing, clean, nice furniture, with chairs & sofa area, with a modern en-suite, with walk in shower & bath, which we had requested, twin beds comfortable, but not great pillows, we brought our own anyway, nice touches of sweets & biscuits & bottled water in the room. Also Free Wifi in the room & it worked.
Breakfast the next morning was very good, good choice well cooked, nice quality ingredients, but if you want black pudding with your breakfast, order it when you walk in, mine eventually arrived as I finished my breakfast. Staff are very nice and willing to help.

The wedding breakfast was superb, yes small portions, but delicious.
The evening buffet was also very nice, with unusual choices, very good, but we were all still full from our late lunch.
The grounds are beautiful & large, which I never got to walk around, here's why!!!
So what's with the POT HOLES, well outside the door to the East Wing, (we didn't know we could access this wing from inside) we were shown to our room, via the external walk, the Tarmac is very worn away, & full of deep pot holes, it was pouring down with rain and they filled up & you could not see them, ( no signs of warning) I sank into one, twisted my ankle, it blew up twice the size, I was only wearing low heeled shoes, thank goodness, but that put an end to my dancing at the wedding, shame, we had a fantastic band to dance to, Richard the wedding manager was very concerned, I didn't want to make any fuss so he came the next day to complete the accident book, after 2 days with my foot up, much better now, but it did ruin my day really, as i had to sit when all about was having fun dancing. They are having all the drive Tarmac re-done shortly, doesn't help me does it, I will expect a bouquet of flowers from the Hotel Manager.............

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank GladysRoberts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

The grounds the hotel is situated on are beautiful and immaculately kept. I hired a bike and really enjoyed exploring the acres of land. The hotel itself is a grand building and really looks impressive. The reason I have awarded 4stars is I found the room a little dated (I am 26), with old style furniture, curtains etc. that said, the hotel is very clean throughout and the bathroom was a high standard. The lighting in the room and hallways is a little poor too. The restaurant was to a high standard and I found the staff attentive, breakfast was also good. The spa and swimming pool was enjoyable although lacked a wow factor. The gym had a range of well maintained equipment. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and strongly suggest trying to book during the summer and enjoy a sunny day in a beautiful place!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hassocks
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

Location, Hotel & Gardens look fantastic, but value for money is questionable.... Our room was tired. Our evening meal took far too long and and then we had to send the lamb back as it was so tough you couldn't cut it, the waiter did offer a steak knife! Our Spar Package included a massage and we wanted to change the time we had booked but we couldn't so we had to forfeit it and when we went to use the pool there wasn't anybody else in the facility ( so they were not busy) except for a man in the hot tub who apparently wasn't a guest, he was on a day pass from a nearby Hotel who preceded to expose himself to my girlfriend and I, we did report it immediately but the Hotel staff couldn't find him!! We were offered 'one' glass of Champaign for our trouble!! I have stayed at many top class Hotels in the UK and all over the World and it saddens me to say I will not be going back to this one....

Room Tip: Room facing lake beautiful views and beds very comfortable but furnishings are tired and safe didn...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

I will start with the positives, The hotel grounds are fantastic, lovely walks and relaxing outdoor seating with some of best views you could ask for. Staff are very good, helpful and polite. The restaurant is VERY good.The starter and main course was exceptionally good, a little let down but the desserts. The bed was comfortable and the views were lovely.
The negatives were disappointing for a hotel that is not cheap to stay in. A couple of broken tiles in the bathroom, the flush in the toilet was loose and looked fairly untidy, The toilet roll holder which was chrome had build up dust on it, The showers water pressure was so weak that it was not worth having so we stuck to the bath. The other thing that disappointed me was the lamp shades in the corridors, with such a lovely hotel and with so many staff walking about it must of been noticed that light bulbs were broken and the shades were twisted and not straight, Some may think this is not a problem but you are paying a lot of money to stay here. The afternoon tea was a bit of a let down, nice lounge and again the staff are good but the quality of the cakes were only average. Not sure if we would stay here again but we would definitely visit the restaurant again, and would recommend others to do so as well

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kirsty022
APHGM, General Manager at Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Kirsty022

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on your recent stay and can I sincerely apologise for what seems to have been some very poor attention to detail whilst with us.

I can personally assure you that this far from our usually very high standard of customer care and I will be discussing the matter with the Head Housekeeper on her return to work. I am sincerely sorry that this had such a negative impact on your day and I hope you can accept that this is not the experience that I, or the rest of the team, would want any of our guests to receive.

Would you kindly contact me directly so I may get further information about your room and therefore instruct for any repair works to take place.

Yours sincerely
Stamford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Stayed for 3 nights, wonderful atmosphere in hotel - nothing is too much trouble. Initially given upgrade to a Fairway Suite but upon mentioning that we are NOT keen golfers, we were moved to the more historic East Wing, with a balcony looking out on the secret garden. Magical grounds, beautiful leisure facilities and exquisite food made for a truly relaxing break. The surrounding forest is beautiful, but to be honest you barely need to leave the hotel! Fine weather was the icing on the cake.

Room Tip: Rooms in the East Wing are quiet, spacious and well-appointed.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Had a couple of nights here on business and generally found the hotel quite decent. However, it is very old fashioned... if it could find a way to modernize itself without loosing some charm it could be a very cool place to stay. Great location (if effectively being in the middle of nowhere is your thing!) great building (although a bit big and sprawling with some rooms feeling a very long way from the reception) and some very decent staff. Breakfast was generally nice, although the fried eggs were very overdone and took quite a bit of chewing to get through!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Friend treated me for birthday .and was excellent.room 33.looking over grounds .beautifully kept.room was spacious .heating was on.tea coffee biscuits.spa we went to had sauna,steam.swimming .Jacuzzi. it would have been nice to have a tea and coffee facilities there.only water they had.very relaxing.if u wanted treatments they were available.showers hairdryer.in evening we had booked dinner.had a drink at the bar.olives nuts crisp.and little cakes .dinner was perfect.food was excellent and the plates were hot.you wasn't rushed..I had the cheese board.excellent quality.beds very comfortable.in morning complementary newspaper.again breakfast was excellent.we had cooked breakfast.hot plates .so much variety on the buffet table .They have a golf course.we had a walk round the grounds.check out is eleven so again no rush.would go back again .

Room Tip: Rooms with a view if grounds,beautiful
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wych Cross
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,191 reviews
The Roebuck Hotel
The Roebuck Hotel
#1 of 2 in Forest Row

Been to Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!