“Rooms tired and in need of updating”

Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wych Cross
Evesham, United Kingdom
“Rooms tired and in need of updating”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed for a weekend recently and whilst the grounds and building were extremely grand the rooms were sadly disappointing.
The bed was lumpy, we could not read due to the poor lighting and the bathroom was positively archaic.
The restaurant staff were attentive but the food was meagre and we felt the menu choice quite limited.
On checkout the receptionist insisted that we pay immediately and objected when we asked for a few minutes to check the bill saying 'you must pay now as it will be busy later!'.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Greek first
East Sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

I have reviewed this hotel before, however have just come home from a fabulous overnight here. Lovely meal in last night (try the tasting menu - wow). Relaxed breakfast this am, still round the grounds, relax in country club and afternoon tea. The staff are lovely and the hotel perfect. Highly recommended

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
southampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed here on Thursday evening with my husband, as we were due to visit Hever Castle.

A stunning and grand looking hotel with the most beautiful grounds I have ever seen. We were greeted warmly at reception and were checked in quickly and efficiently by friendly staff.

We only had a deluxe room, however it was clean and spacious enough for a one night stay and had everything we needed including tea and cafetiere coffee making facilities. The bathroom was spotless and the Molton Brown toiletries were luxurious.

We decided not to eat at the hotel, but prior to arriving at the hotel I had researched where we should go and found a closeish pub called Coach and Horses. I have left a separate review for this.

We had a great night's sleep, and had our breakfast delivered to our room. The quality of the breakfast was fabulous, the continental and full breakfast consisting of pastries, croissants, orange juice and cereal. The eggs and sausage I tasted with the full English was so tasty, and one of the best breakfast's I've had.

Checkout was quick and easy.

We didn't use a lot of the facilities available at this hotel, nor did we interact much with the staff. This was a brief overnight stay.

The only reason I didn't give this hotel the full 5 stars, when we had a drink in the bar area, after returning from dinner, there was coffee cups etc left behind on tables and the area generally felt untidy.

I would return to Ashdown Park and next time I would like to spend longer at the hotel and take advantage of the facilities it has to offer and take a better look at the beautiful grounds it has to offer.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jennyjoop
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

We had a very pleasant one night stay here during the week in May. The welcome at the hotel was excellent and the man who showed us to our room was very pleasant, telling us about the hotel etc which was nice. We stayed in room 108 in the East Wing. We didn't mind that it was a walk away from the main hotel, as the view was excellent of the chapel. However, the room itself was quite dated - furniture, wallpaper etc was very tired and worn, and the bedspread and curtains were fairly old fashioned. The mattress on the bed could have done with replacing as it was a bit soft in places. However, the bathroom was lovely and the Malton Brown toiletries were a nice touch, as was the Wifi and bottled water in the room.
We visited the spa, had a good foot treatment, a nice coffee in the lounge, and my apartment was very impressed with the gym. We didn't use the other facilities but they looked great and weren't too busy.
Breakfast the next morning was truly excellent. Really good quality food, a nice room, and good service. A real highlight of the stay.
I would definitely go back to the hotel for a spa day and would stay again if the rooms were redecorated.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

This was the wedding venue of a family member, we booked in for a 2 night stay. We arrived the after non before the wedding & originally booked to have dinner on the first night, then after reading the restaurant reviews on trip advisor, decided not to dine in the hotel dining room, this turned out to be sound advice, some of the wedding guests did and all told us it was expensive for such small amounts of food, tasted good, but not worth the money, we had the club sandwich & chips in the lounge, not the best we have eaten but ok, still pricey.
Our room was the Fuchsia Suite, at £165 per room per night B & B for 2, not bad value, the room was a large ground floor room in the East wing, clean, nice furniture, with chairs & sofa area, with a modern en-suite, with walk in shower & bath, which we had requested, twin beds comfortable, but not great pillows, we brought our own anyway, nice touches of sweets & biscuits & bottled water in the room. Also Free Wifi in the room & it worked.
Breakfast the next morning was very good, good choice well cooked, nice quality ingredients, but if you want black pudding with your breakfast, order it when you walk in, mine eventually arrived as I finished my breakfast. Staff are very nice and willing to help.

The wedding breakfast was superb, yes small portions, but delicious.
The evening buffet was also very nice, with unusual choices, very good, but we were all still full from our late lunch.
The grounds are beautiful & large, which I never got to walk around, here's why!!!
So what's with the POT HOLES, well outside the door to the East Wing, (we didn't know we could access this wing from inside) we were shown to our room, via the external walk, the Tarmac is very worn away, & full of deep pot holes, it was pouring down with rain and they filled up & you could not see them, ( no signs of warning) I sank into one, twisted my ankle, it blew up twice the size, I was only wearing low heeled shoes, thank goodness, but that put an end to my dancing at the wedding, shame, we had a fantastic band to dance to, Richard the wedding manager was very concerned, I didn't want to make any fuss so he came the next day to complete the accident book, after 2 days with my foot up, much better now, but it did ruin my day really, as i had to sit when all about was having fun dancing. They are having all the drive Tarmac re-done shortly, doesn't help me does it, I will expect a bouquet of flowers from the Hotel Manager.............

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank GladysRoberts
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

The grounds the hotel is situated on are beautiful and immaculately kept. I hired a bike and really enjoyed exploring the acres of land. The hotel itself is a grand building and really looks impressive. The reason I have awarded 4stars is I found the room a little dated (I am 26), with old style furniture, curtains etc. that said, the hotel is very clean throughout and the bathroom was a high standard. The lighting in the room and hallways is a little poor too. The restaurant was to a high standard and I found the staff attentive, breakfast was also good. The spa and swimming pool was enjoyable although lacked a wow factor. The gym had a range of well maintained equipment. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and strongly suggest trying to book during the summer and enjoy a sunny day in a beautiful place!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hassocks
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

Location, Hotel & Gardens look fantastic, but value for money is questionable.... Our room was tired. Our evening meal took far too long and and then we had to send the lamb back as it was so tough you couldn't cut it, the waiter did offer a steak knife! Our Spar Package included a massage and we wanted to change the time we had booked but we couldn't so we had to forfeit it and when we went to use the pool there wasn't anybody else in the facility ( so they were not busy) except for a man in the hot tub who apparently wasn't a guest, he was on a day pass from a nearby Hotel who preceded to expose himself to my girlfriend and I, we did report it immediately but the Hotel staff couldn't find him!! We were offered 'one' glass of Champaign for our trouble!! I have stayed at many top class Hotels in the UK and all over the World and it saddens me to say I will not be going back to this one....

Room Tip: Room facing lake beautiful views and beds very comfortable but furnishings are tired and safe didn...