“3 night stay - business”

Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wych Cross
“3 night stay - business”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

wonderful hotel in a lovely setting with the likelihood of seeing the local wildlife. The room was garden facing so we had a lovely view. Room was a little small but still compared to others a fair size. Tv is not contrained by the hotel's system so you have direct freeview access. Internet is superb with even the free service. But if you need to download then there is the faster paid service. Only drawback is the lack of air conditioning. The bath tub could have done with re-enameling but is a nice traditional bath. There was a long walk to the central areas of the hotel and there is no lift so some areas would only suit younger visitors. The restaurant is superb with a really lovely experience and breakfast is on another level compared to other hotels. The hotel specialises in afternoon teas so the lounge can be busy but I liked the generous servings of tea and coffee. The lounge areas were traditional but I thought they were in keeping with the hotel's style and was quite comfortable. Gym/swimming/golf is all available in the adjoining club house and were good enough. All in all - a great experience - maybe considered pricey but the setting is really breathtaking.

Room Tip: go for the landscaped garden side and try to get a room nearer the central areas to avoid a long wal...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Greek first
Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

The phrase "No Problem" was in abundance. Nothing was too much trouble and everyone was keen to help. There was a genuine sense of hospitality that is rare to find. The room was delightful, with a great view and the public spaces, although a little worn, we're comfortable. A very comfortable bed and attention to detail gave that extra tough of luxury. So fabulous to have a pool on site. Thank you to the hotel team.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank RevKateMcN
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Very nice place to stay, comfortable and spacious rooms, great service and friendly staff. We have had 2 cream teas there the last one just recently. There were 10 of us ! but it was just a good as our first experience 3 years ago, and they accommodated us very well. The food was lovely and there was plenty of it. The grounds are beautiful and we took quite a few photos, will definitely go back again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ASjt19
Petts Wood
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I thought I would treat my wife for a 4 day birthday break at this hotel. She loved it, which means I loved it too. Our room was big and comfortable the food was out of this world and the staff were really good. They even laughed at my jokes. Nice little swimming pool and jacuzzi in the nearby club house. The grounds were well kept..

Could be viewed by some as a little expensive especially the wine list -but who cares it was worth it. HOWEVER they forgot to put flowers in our room for my wife's birthday which I had planned for and specifically requested. A little disappointed - Never mind these things happen - it was still a wonderful break. Well done the staff.We just might pop back again in the future.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the gardens at the back.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ScoutPettsWood
Crawley Sussex England
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Lovely wedding breakfast in July weather was very hot,grounds beautiful but room overpriced and no fan or a/c in family bedroom which made a night's sleep very uncomfortable. Breakfast was laid out in the breakfast room not individual cereal boxes but lying out for flies and wasps to gain access( windows were all open because of abscence of a/c or fans and wasps flying around the tables) eggs etc being kept warm in metal containers and overseen by staff who served you the food not self service. When we went to reception to pay for our stay we were charged for a bottle of champagne and wine a sum of £50 that was supposed to have been sent to our room( we hadn't ordered any) So please check your bills before you pay. Wouldn't stay there again ,if anyone has to spend the night stay somewhere else...Really needs updating some areas very dated and tired.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ellie48
Brighton
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I vowed I would never come back here again after our hugely disappointing dinner experience but a sad set of circumstances brought me back here again with a gift of afternoon tea for two.
I brought my daughter this time. We are real afternoon tea advocates and sample this traditional meal all over the world when we are travelling.
It was a gorgeous, very hot summers day. I had telephoned earlier to ask if we could book to sit out side on the Terrace. This is not possible so it's on a first come, first served basis. As it was so hot many people had chosen to stay inside so there was space available on the Terrace. I had not expected there to be so many people taking tea on a Monday afternoon. My advice would be to definitely book before hand I don't think you can just turn up and have tea.
My first gripe ...... out of 6/7 tables on the Terrace only 3 had umbrellas to shade you from the sun??????? Surely people sit out there all the time, it's a favourite place for weddings and they only have 3 umbrellas?! Shame on you Ashdown Park. So we were left to bake in the sun - our choice I agree, but it seemed such a shame not to enjoy this experience outdoors.
It took quite a while for our goodies to be brought out but eventually a waiter came out to set our table. I can't really fault the staff but there was definitely some 'personality' missing from the experience. They were all helpful but in a grudging way and no-one really engaged in any sort of communication other than what was absolutely necessary. The other problem with sitting in the scorching hot sunshine.....the sandwiches start to dry out and curl up at the edges, the icing on the cakes start to melt and the wasps start to come out! A little shade would have gone a long way to prevent 2 out of 3 of those issues.
The food was actually ok, not the best I've had but the sandwiches were fine and the scones were good. The cakes, especially the cherry (and lavender?) cake were far too sweet. An empty miniature pot of jam on the far side of the table helped greatly to keep the wasps at bay!
I think we managed to chomp our way through almost everything on the table. The heat of the sun and the wasps finally finished us off and we took ourselves off for a walk down to the lake and sat in the shade for a while. The grounds of Ashdown Park are lovely and no-one was pushing us to leave so we took full advantage and found a shady spot to sit and enjoy the surroundings. I would have enjoyed the experience far more had I been able to enjoy tea with a bit of shade. I can't fault the food, you get what you pay for, its a fabulous spot although had it been cold and/or wet and we were stuck inside the experience would have been completely different. It's a fine balance between having overbearing/over friendly staff and people who are not allowed or too shy to engage with customers. Good service really does make a huge difference to a dining experience. I think Ashdown Park failed on this and could do a lot more on this front.
I won't be back again, there are better places close by for afternoon tea. BUT, if you've never been it's worth a visit, take your willies and raincoat if it's raining and get out and enjoy the grounds!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Erylis
Reviewed 10 August 2014

After a previous underwhelming visit to Ashdown Park last year, we re-visited this summer and came away with a much better impression of this hotel. The service was very good with the staff being very courteous, friendly and helpful. We had a lovely light and spacious room with a terrace and windows that we could open wide. The views from our room were wonderful. The beds and pillows were extremely comfortable and the toiletries were of a high standard. The wi-fi reception was generally easy and reliable. The food in the restaurant was well presented and very enjoyable and the breakfast was tasty and varied. Unfortunately, I would not recommend the golf course to any serious golfer as the tees and greens were very poor and the trolleys were poor quality and hard work. However, the grounds were stunning and beautifully maintained.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
South Lodge Hotel
South Lodge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Lower Beeding
Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa

Been to Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!