“I Wish We Could Have Stayed Longer”

Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wych Cross
Reviewed 14 October 2009

We had an absolute lovely time at Ashdown Park. My wife and I celebrated our 5 year anniversary here. Regrettably, we were only able to get away for one night, as we'd have loved to spend more time. We went on a one-night package, which cost £340 (with VAT) that included a 25 minute massage for each partner, High tea, dinner, and breakfast.

Highlights
1) The grounds are breathtaking, from the lush greenery to the architecture of the buildings. It made me want get out and hike, which is quite an accomplishment. We did a 2.5 mile hike of the grounds in the morning and really enjoyed it.

2) High tea - We were lucky enough to sit outside on a gorgeous sunny and crisp October afternoon. The cakes were delicious too.

3) My entrée (main course) - I order the sea bass, and it is one of the more delicious meals I have had in some time. It was served with mushrooms, which were also divine. And the portion size was pretty good too. Usually at fancy restaurants like this there is more plate than food. This was not the case here.

4) Breakfast - Really good quality, nice smoked salmon, sausage and bacon very tasty, as were the baked beans. Fresh squeezed orange juice was nice too.

5) Country Club - Nice relaxing atmosphere, nice pool and hot tub.

Could do better

1) Room size - I was really excited to see when I received my reservation that we were in a deluxe room. Then I went to the website and saw that they "deluxe" is the smallest room, and is described as "cosy". When we got to the hotel they informed us that we'd been upgraded. When we got in the room it was still pretty tiny, so I can't even imagine how small the "deluxe" would be. Other than that, the rooms were fine. As we were only there one night, it really wasn't a big issue.

2) Massage - The massages themselves were really nice, it's just that they asked us to be there 10 minutes before they were scheduled, didn't collect us until 5 minutes after they were booked for, and in the end, they were more like 20 minutes rather than the 25 minutes they were suppose to be. Not a huge deal, but a little disappointing.

3) The starter - Really yummy, but really, really small. We both ordered scallops, and received just 2 of them each. Seemed a bit measly to us.

4) Eggs - While I enjoyed the breakfast immensely, I have to say that the eggs were way too runny, at least to my taste. This might be just a personal thing, as my wife liked them, saying they were really creamy.

5) The bill - There were items on the bill that should have not been there. For instance, after dinner they asked me to review the bill, and I remarked that we were on the package deal and that it shouldn't appear. They told us that just about everyone there was one some sort of package deal and that it wouldn't appear on the final bill. Well, it did, along with some other stuff, and it took about 4 attempts for them to get it right.

Overall, I would recommend the hotel. There were some minor things they could improve upon, but nothing too major to detract from our visit.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MickmanLondon

Reviewed 12 October 2009

I've just returned from an evening's stay at the Ashdown Park Hotel, which was supposed to be a quiet weekend of relaxation to celebrate an anniversary with my girlfriend. I so wish I'd read the reviews here first.

I'd chosen the Romantic Getaway package that was advertised on the APH website, and had chosen to upgrade this to a room with a park view. I'm well aware of the Ashdown Park Hotel, and have many friends and family that have visited over the years. I booked our stay a month in advance, and was looking forward to springing the surprise.

Things started to go wrong as soon as we checked in. Despite having booked weeks in advance, and with a package that included dinner - I was only offered a seating at 10pm. I was amazed! "Is that okay sir?". "If that's all you can offer me, it will have to do".

I can't really fault the room or the dinner much, both were perfectly pleasant. I will say that if room 88 is their idea of a Parkland View, then a few trees neither constitutes a park, or a view. Dinner was pleasant, but nothing spectacular; our late seating meant that we weren't allowed to enjoy the dining room's pianist for the entirity, he obviously finished his shift and went home. I was litterally also only offerred the scraps from the cheese trolley too.

Breakfast was the real joke though. Once we were seated, and given toast and coffee, we started to queue for our breakfast. This in itself is pathetic - a four star hotel, where you have to queue for breakfast. We gave up, returning to our now cold coffee and toast. We tried later, and were successful... but the breakfast was cold, with small portions. A very unsatisfying experience. All the guests queuing were clearly not happy.

Simply I'll echo what others have written. This hotel cannot cope with anything like full occupancy. My weekend coincided with a wedding that was held there, and our stay suffered immensely because of it. The staff are rushed off their feet, there aren't enough of them. Some are very good, but others are not assertive or professional enough. I was really annoyed to see that the same staff that had served us at dinner until past midnight, were also on the breakfast shift. That's just exploitation, and can't be good for the guests.

On settling the bill, I was asked if everything was okay with my stay. I couldn't stand their and mumble "yes" like the other guests... I told them that the meal time and breakfasting arrangements were far from satisfactory. The clerk apologised and continued to charge me the £345 for my stay, and explained that they try and call all guests to confirm an arrival time and dinner booking. They had a month to do this with me, and they failed.

I've complained formally in writing. I was really disappointed with this stay and felt it falls well short of what I expect and know of a 4 star standard, and a country house hotel. At this point, there's unlikely to be a "next time", and I'll communicate this to you, my friends and family. I can see my father, and my Aunt and Uncle forgoing their "Elite Club" membership in favour of another establishment too.

My advice is to avoid... spend the money elsewhere. If you want a nice country hotel, please do try the Alexander House hotel near Turners Hill, a short drive away. It's similarly priced, and considerably better.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BillyCTravel
Reviewed 4 October 2009

I was impressed after booking a weekend at the hotel by the quick response by the hotel phoning to confirm arrival time (so champagne could be left in room on ice) and evening meal time's. However not quite so impressive to arrive and be told the booking was for only one night " Let me see if I can arrange another night booking for you !!" very impressive. Upon arriving in the room there was no Champagne waiting for us I queried this and was assured it would be sent immediately.... It did arrive an hour later when we were leaving for dinner no use then i requested the next evening at 7pm. At 7.30 the next evening I again asked the whereabouts of the illusive champagne "It was sent from the bar at 7pm " was the response...maybe the hotel really does have ghosts!. The room itself (master suite) was impressive it you do value quantity over quality (i dont !). A large space with a small area boxed off into a grumpy bathroom the kind you may find in a bed and breakfast in Blackpool !!. The furniture tired at best tatty if the truth be told consisted of piano (!!) very ugly set of yellow settee/armchair,a very distressed closet and a nice four poster bed. The TV was acceptable but however the choice of channels was not for a hotel with misguided aspirations of being a quality hotel the lack of any premium channels not acceptable. The last criticism of the room upon returning from dinner the radiator (cast iron type last seen in my school years !! ) had been set on full the room resembled a sauna with a broken dial we had to send for a chap to reset !
The food deserves a special subsection of its own. We made the very bad mistake of ordering the tasting menu which seemed as if a little chef cook had watched to much masterchef and designed a menu high on aspiration but very short on execution in parts it was inedible but the matching wines were nice until the wine waiter after explaining the origins wine proceeded to tip half the contents over the back of my beige jacket!! . Another waiter then knocked over my girlfriends glass of water and on another table another glass went !! Even Basil Faulty would have described the scene as chaotic!. The afternoon tea was included in the package and booked by the nice lady who initially at 4pm. We arrived to take up our reservation to be told they were fully booked and had no tables available (many empty so obviously being saved for more important customers than hotel guests!!) would I like to take a picnic instead outside....nice idea in july maybe with gales force october winds did not appeal !! then offered to set up the tea in the health club...please !!.... at this point my temper snapped which seemed to do the trick tea was served in the bar (ok but not the lounge with the view and nice open fire ) and to placate me a bottle of champagne was served on the house. Breakfast was ok if somewhat chaotic. The grounds of the hotel are very nice indeed with some very charming deer packs running around however the "golf course" is nothing more than some random holes placed in the lawn save your money!
A deeply unsatisfactory hotel especially with bill for 2 nights coming to £1300 I could only recommend this hotel if they dropped their rates to compete with travel inn express and even then I would take my own sandwiches ! ! AVOID AT ALL COSTS !

Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SQUIRMA
Reviewed 30 September 2009

My husband and I stayed here as part of an envy experience of which I won as an award with my workplace.
We were told upon our arrival that we had been upgraded to a suite which was a very nice gesture. We were booked in for afternoon tea but were told it was very busy and to try the spa. This was also very busy and were referred back to the main hotel. There was plenty of room and we therfore didn't understand the previous problem.
We sat outside for afternoon tea and told the head waiter that we were on a package which included this. We were then presented with a menu from another waiter and we ordered afternoon tea. This was £35 on the menu but this was included in our package or so we thought until we were presented with the bill. Apparently, we were told that we were supposed to have just tea and cakes but as we were led up the garden path, we were let off the bill. We had said we were on a package so I think it was their fault for not listening properly.
We had 2 spa treatments. I had a manicure which was £25. Certainly not worth the money but it was free for me. Husband had a massage which he thought was good.
We had a lovely evening meal. I know that this is a Hotel but the cheapest bottle of wine was £28. Our drinks bill for the weekend was £106. Not a very cheap weekend. If we had a bill for the whole weekend, it would have been ridiculous.
Breakfast was disappointing. That buffet rubbish, luke warm. Would have been nice for the prices they are charging to have a proper hot meal on one plate.
It sounds as if I asm moaning, but we did have a nice time but they will price themselves out of business. We are hard working people and we found this to be too expensive.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank frequentholidayers
Reviewed 26 September 2009

Ashdown Park has a rarified atmosphere, good leisure facilities, good dining and a high price tag. The staff are generally very helpful, the rooms are spacious and well-appointed. The location is beautiful. My one complaint was in relation to 2 members of staff at breakfast who simply hadn't a clue as to how guests should be treated. Any establishment of this standard should employ people who know their job and demonstrate some commitment to doing it. Otherwise all good and will visit again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2009

My new husband and I visited the hotel for dinner on our honeymoon. The decor was stuffy and old fashioned - but not quite elegant enough just tired and faded, we arrived to be told there was a dress code (not told on the phone) and my husband had to wear a waiter’s jacket. We were then left in the bar until almost an hour after out booked time. The waiting staff were seriously incompetent, we were asked every question at least twice and our meat was cooked incorrectly. We were also given the wrong cutlery with every meal. The food was over fussy, too many flavours and items on each plate. We ended up being given the wrong bill and told to put our room number down - despite not being residents at the hotel - we were tempted. We did get a refund on our food, but I would not go back. We were staying at the Alexander Hotel and Spa just down the road, which is head and shoulders above this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank misssilvester
Reviewed 6 September 2009

Myself and a friend stayed at Ashdown Park for one night, on their Spa Pamper package, which turned out to be amazing value. We had a one bedroom suite overlooking park land with gorgeous views. The bedroom was clean, well appointed with a luxurious bathroom full of Molton Brown products and fluffy white towels and robes. The spa itself included everything you expect, as well as a wonderful complimentary facial. This was followed by afternoon tea - also included with the room rate - with a delicious selection of cakes. However, the highlight of the stay was dinner at the hotel restaurant, where we had 3 delicious course and a glass of champagne in the drawing room next door. The service was impeccable, and nothing was too much trouble. The following morning we went for a long walk around the grounds and explored the different gardens, followed by a good quality breakfast with lovely herby sausages and unlimited continental fare from the buffet. Overall, a relaxing night's stay in lovely surroundings.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Horsted Place
Horsted Place
#2 of 2 in Little Horsted
Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa

Been to Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!