We had an absolute lovely time at Ashdown Park. My wife and I celebrated our 5 year anniversary here. Regrettably, we were only able to get away for one night, as we'd have loved to spend more time. We went on a one-night package, which cost £340 (with VAT) that included a 25 minute massage for each partner, High tea, dinner, and breakfast.
1) The grounds are breathtaking, from the lush greenery to the architecture of the buildings. It made me want get out and hike, which is quite an accomplishment. We did a 2.5 mile hike of the grounds in the morning and really enjoyed it.
2) High tea - We were lucky enough to sit outside on a gorgeous sunny and crisp October afternoon. The cakes were delicious too.
3) My entrée (main course) - I order the sea bass, and it is one of the more delicious meals I have had in some time. It was served with mushrooms, which were also divine. And the portion size was pretty good too. Usually at fancy restaurants like this there is more plate than food. This was not the case here.
4) Breakfast - Really good quality, nice smoked salmon, sausage and bacon very tasty, as were the baked beans. Fresh squeezed orange juice was nice too.
5) Country Club - Nice relaxing atmosphere, nice pool and hot tub.
Could do better
1) Room size - I was really excited to see when I received my reservation that we were in a deluxe room. Then I went to the website and saw that they "deluxe" is the smallest room, and is described as "cosy". When we got to the hotel they informed us that we'd been upgraded. When we got in the room it was still pretty tiny, so I can't even imagine how small the "deluxe" would be. Other than that, the rooms were fine. As we were only there one night, it really wasn't a big issue.
2) Massage - The massages themselves were really nice, it's just that they asked us to be there 10 minutes before they were scheduled, didn't collect us until 5 minutes after they were booked for, and in the end, they were more like 20 minutes rather than the 25 minutes they were suppose to be. Not a huge deal, but a little disappointing.
3) The starter - Really yummy, but really, really small. We both ordered scallops, and received just 2 of them each. Seemed a bit measly to us.
4) Eggs - While I enjoyed the breakfast immensely, I have to say that the eggs were way too runny, at least to my taste. This might be just a personal thing, as my wife liked them, saying they were really creamy.
5) The bill - There were items on the bill that should have not been there. For instance, after dinner they asked me to review the bill, and I remarked that we were on the package deal and that it shouldn't appear. They told us that just about everyone there was one some sort of package deal and that it wouldn't appear on the final bill. Well, it did, along with some other stuff, and it took about 4 attempts for them to get it right.
Overall, I would recommend the hotel. There were some minor things they could improve upon, but nothing too major to detract from our visit.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, LateRooms, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ashdown Park Hotel And Country Club
- Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club East Sussex/Wych Cross, UK