“ibis Barking”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 15 January 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
IBISBARKING, Front Office Manager at Ibis London Barking, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We prebooked and arrived around 10pm. Parking is secured and you have to use the intercom to get the barrier lifted. Check in was quick and easy. Room was predictable. Very comfortable bed. Tea and coffee facilities,TV and free wireless and also a wired internet connection with a cable (which we didn't use).
In spite of being near the main road, the room was quiet and we slept well.
Breakfast at £8 was better than average although the choice was limited.

Would stay here again

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Sir/Madam,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at ibis London Barking. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Yours sincerely,
Hotel Management

Reviewed 7 December 2013

This was not a good experience, the area from station to hotel is covered in litter including bins not emptied, not once at hotel the staff did not smile at all, the room keys that my girlfriend and I had to be replaced every night and yet when we went down to reception the receptionist did not say he was sorry. The air conditioning in the bedroom did not work, neither did the heating and yet to get to the hotel you walk behind the Premier Inn hotel (which is next door) and the smell was just unbearable to say the least.

The bedroom my girlfriend and I had also noticed the cleaning staff smelt terrible so much so they stank of tobacco (neither my girlfriend and I are non-smokers) as did the bathroom but of what neither of us knew, the lift was noisy once inside, the noises from other rooms could be heard (either from the TV and/or other people), the pillows were too hard and as such our respective necks are suffering, the duvet cover just went over the bed and the cleaning staff failed to notice our request not to be disturbed on the door and as such they phoned our room internally (twice every morning) despite I explained to them every day on the phone that we didn't want our room made up but we did want/need new towels/toilet roll and coffee etc. as for the TV when it did come on but you had to press hard to the remote control despite being told the batteries had been replaced and my girlfriend asked for additional towels to dry her hair but the look from the staff in reception were not very welcoming as anyone would think we had been offensive and the bin in the bathroom was tiny and could barely get anything in it. My girlfriend and I also asked for extra coffee, milk and sugar and we got so few of each it was an insult given I like my coffee strong in that I have two sachets per cup.

On a positive note the shower was fantastic but that said the excess water seeped under the doors on to the floor of the bathroom even with the bathmat and we had to use our already wet towels to dry the floor too. All in all my girlfriend and I were not impressed at all as when we checked out the woman on reception did not smile, she did not say anything such as “have a nice day, was everything OK” etc. and as such neither my girlfriend and I will be staying there again or recommending this hotel to our friends, colleagues or anyone else.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
IBISBARKING, Front Office Manager at Ibis London Barking, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Ibis London East Barking. I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. I will contact you in near future by post.

Thank you.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stayed for 2 nights with girlfriend, on arrival was asked if we wanted breakfast next morning (saturday) i said yes and was then charged £32!!! this is the most i have paid in any hotel.
A £5 cab ride in to Barking you can pay £3.29 for a breakfast in Wetherspoons which was jsu as good.
Another strange point is that they have a bar but i saw at least one person bring his own bottles of beer in and still get the barman to open them before sitting in the bar to drink them!!! I am sure you would not get away with this in a pub.
They say the kittchen is 24/7 but not all items are avaialble after 10pm so they do supply menu's to local take aways to deliver to you.
The room was clean and not to small,we were at the front but with the window shut you could not hear the traffic so no problem there.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
IBISBARKING, Front Office Manager at Ibis London Barking, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Ibis London East Barking. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about our Bar, which we have since are addressing. Iwould like to discuss Breakfast cahrges with you in person. Please could you contact me on H2042-gm@accor.com or 02084774100.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

I stayed in many ibis but this one is different. Very friendly and helpful staff and value for money.FAHIM is one of their top receptionists. Last month when I stayed in budget, by mistake I locked my car with key inside. And I was really worried but Fahim was really helpful. He called AA and used his membership to unlock my car. This is one of the best hotel. Definitely I would recommend this place.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank M4RTIN780

Reviewed 8 November 2013

First of all the picture does not show the actual entrance to the hotel nor does it show the fence all the way around OR the massive load motorway located right next to it.
Could not get in and out of the hotel with suitcases, had to wait in the rain for a barrier to open (which is supposed to be for cars, but there is no space anywhere to let foot pedestrians through which is ridiculous!) We had to wait for the barrier every time to go in/out of the hotel it was very tedious- we couldnt even walk out and up the road it was like a prison.
You have to walk all the way around to get out due to massive fence around it. Walked around in freezing cold rain for 10 minutes trying to find entrance when we first arrived as no clear signage- doh!!!

Shower very nice, room a fair size. However toilet seat would not stay up kept falling down. Had to try and hold it up to sit down and do your business - extremely awkward and frustrating.
Our bed was plonked against a wall/'headboard' but not fixed in place, kept moving and if you leaned back against the headboard the whole bed moved foward and you head whipped back, as we shochockingly found out as the 2 were not connected. Really awkward to relax in unless you want to lay perfectly flat.
Some of the tv channels were fuzzy and the remote control had no numbers cause they had all rubbed off. So if you wanted to relax in front of the tv after a long day out you had no idea what button to push and the menu tediously requires you to push numbers to get to the tv from the paid viewing area. We ended up figuring out the numbers and writing in biro on the buttons what they were but again it rubbed of pretty quick. By the second night we'd given up with the tv!
Maids did not change the sheets the entire time we were there; not even the bottom sheet. Hair all in our bed and in our room. It was not hoovered/mopped at all. Sink and side was not wiped down either - we had to do cleaning ourselves despite having a maid service which wasted time while we were there! Disappointing cleanliness overall.
Hotel location really bad, 15 minute walk to the station across a muddy park- not ideal.
On 3 occasions called a taxi and every time the taxi did not arrive, or went to the wrong hotel. There are 2 ibis hotels next to eachother which is confusing and despite us telling the taxi company specifically NOT the budget one they all went to the wrong one. We waited in the cold for 25 minutes at night, and ended up walking every time as the taxi drivers were at wrong place. We ended up being late to our events. I realise this is not directly the hotels fault but is still part of the reason I would not stay here again.
Plenty of other hotels in the area and we will be visiting the area regularly for appointment commitments so will pick a different one in future as not impressed by Ibis.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Ibis hotel East Barking. I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Have stayed here several times over the years. The reception, bar and breakfast are all bright airy and welcoming. Good value with an offer but would not pay the stated full prices of £95 upwards for a room.
Good standard room. Decent TV and channel choice. Free wi-fi very useful, Only one problem, the blinds in the room did not cover the window fully. There was a good six inch gap on one side, The blinds were prevented from going further on the rails, Not so much an issue in the winter but in lighter months could have interrupted sleep with daylight not blocked. Ground floor room too so also a slight privacy issue.
Also the room was extremely warm, too warm. Unable to alter the heat as the thermostat/air con control not working. Left the window open some of the time but again as ground floor, unable to leave open when room vacant.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating this matter accordingly.

Yana Bacele

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barking
East End / East London
Ruskin Hotel
Ruskin Hotel
#637 of 1,081 in London
Travelodge London Woolwich
#504 of 1,081 in London

Been to Ibis London Barking? Share your experiences!