“Be wary.”

Hare & Hounds
Hare & Hounds
Ranked #1 of 4 Braintree B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 March 2012

My partner and I booked for a one night stay here for 12th May 2012. My booking was confirmed and my details were taken. When no confirmation was received, I contacted the Hare & Hounds to be told that no reservation for that date was made, and there was now no vacancies. They did however phone me back later to apologise, (seems they did have my details after all) and did offer me an alternative room (which was totally unsuitable). I must assume a more lucrative booking was made and consequently my booking was 'lost' Previous reviews would seem to support this theory.
I cannot comment on the accomodation, as we didn't stay there.
Be wary when booking

Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank willservices

Reviewed 23 March 2012

I booked to stay here with my partner (attending a wedding), for May 2012. Was quoted a price and gave my details, and was assured of my booking. When I received no confirmation, I phoned to verify my reservation - and was told there was no booking under my name for that date and there was now no availability.
I must assume a more lucrative booking was made subsequent to mine, and therefore my booking was substituted.
Very unprofessional - Travellers be wary!

Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2012

We recently stayed here for two nights to see family and enjoyed our visit. It's a fairly small b&b on a main road and we had a double room and bathroom overlooking the garden.

We found the staff friendly and welcoming. The room wasn't huge but perfectly adequate with a desk, wardrobe a good TV. Breakfast was tasty and overall we thought good value for money.

Our family had drinks with us in the bar and the atmosphere was very homely and cosy. We'd happily stay again,

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stroud_12
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Stayed here as an overnight stop after attending a wedding at the Fennes estate. We booked s room with an en suite months in advance but found on the day we arrived that actually they had a plumbing problem and could only give us a room with a bathroom nowhere near the room!! I asked why they hadn't rung to inform us and the look I got suggested this hadn't even occured to them.

Anyway, being late for a wedding reception we accepted the room, a decision we utterly regretted upon our return at 1 in the morning. The room was filthy. It stunk of cooking oil as it was located above the pub kitchen. I thought the bed had fleas at first until my husband informed me the sheets just hadn't been changed. One of the glasses had a dead bug at the bottom and the whole place was covered in dust. We slept fully clothed and left very early the next morning!

We didn't bother to contest the state of the room as the staff didn't really seem to care to be honest.

Can't comment on the pub food as we didn't eat but to be fair the actual pub looks cosy and clean. Worth a visit for a drink and dinner maybe but dont bother staying!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I stayed with my partner in February as we attended a wedding at the Fenes Estate which is only a 5 minute drive away. The staff were very polite and helpful they organised transport to and from the venue.

The rooms were very clean and cosy, the restaurant was also very well maintained and the food was extremely good quality for a very reasonable price!

Me and my partner were very impressed with our stay at the Hare and Hounds and would highly recomend it to anyone needing to stay in the area. Much better quailty for money then the Premier Inn and much nicer staff!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 4 I believe and the room was very spacious with a big double bed.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I stayed here with my mother and partner and it was beautiful, all the staff were very friendly and helpful, rooms were gorgeous, clean and tidy. Service was perfection, food was perfection. You couldnt go wrong with staying here. It is deffinately what a traditional english B&B should be!!!
I will be staying again!!
Thank you!!

Room Tip: There all perfect!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 January 2012

This place only requires one word FILTHY, stayed for one night it looked like it had never been cleaned, sheets dirty , sink dirty , shower dirty , carpets dirty, toilet dirty, get the picture!!! go to the premier in two minutes down the road . i can not even give it a rating on any count

Room Tip: Dont bother
Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends