“Stayed overnight as its near the Fennes Wedding venue”
Review of Hare & Hounds

Hare & Hounds
Hare & Hounds
Ranked #1 of 4 Braintree B&B and Inns
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
“Stayed overnight as its near the Fennes Wedding venue”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We stayed here as we were going to a friends wedding at the Fennes. Staff were really friendly and checking in was easy. Rooms were clean and reasonably priced. Breakfast was very nice. Following day I had to pick my car up from the wedding venue and the owner very kindly drove me there.

I would definately stay there again as its clean friendly with good beer and great food. The only advice is that if you stay overnight ask for a room at the back of the pub as the rooms at the front are on a busy road and can be noisy.

Its recently been taken over so ignore all comments that are before February 2013.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the pub as the rooms at the front are on a busy road and can be noisy.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Adrian M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Braintree, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Been refurbed nice layout etc. Wide choice of menu at reasonable prices. We had carvery and was really dissapointed! Potatoes and yorkshire puddings overcooked and burnt. Meat fatty and small portion. Veg nice. If you went on time as carvery opened would be ok but as it gets later sits there. Would eat off normal menu. The manager made a comment to us about the food not sure if he overheard us talking! But he should have not said anything.

Stayed August 2013
5 Thank 503772Claire
Benfleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2013

stopped by here on way back from hedingham castle. Girls behind the bar were very friendly and helpful, but we had dropped in for a bite to eat but were told food had stopped, advised by a gentleman that recently had been taken over and food wasn't being sold all day at present but hoped to by the end of August. We decided just to stay for a drink, which was nice. Well decorated and looks very modern. Don't venture that way very often but would be nice to maybe try the food sometime in the event of us returning that way.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank johanna c
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

Looking for a place to get something to eat tonight drew us to the Hare and Hounds at High Garett. First impression as you walk in is that it has changed a lot. The young man serving at the bar was running around like a headless chicken. After enquiry whether we wanted a drink or to eat there. He first suggested that we sit near the entrance which we declined and we sat round in the main eating area. He informed us that he would bring over the menus and take our order for drinks. After having to wait for 15 minutes still no menus but this young lad and a young girl served around us various meals. Then a gentleman asked whether we had been served. We replied no and he asked what we wanted to drink took our order and bought us the menus. I had a dry white wine spritzer with soda and it was made up of cheap wine which to be honest I left. We ordered our starters of 'filled potatoe skins with bacon and cheese' my husband ordered gamon with egg and I requested a steak rare to medium with no chips but a salad. Our starters arrived my husbands being hot but mine cold in the middle. With this I sent them back and they replaced the order with another portion which this time was hot! Then our main meals were served and once again I had to complain due to my steak was served with chips and not a salad as requested. I had requested my steak to be rare to medium but instead my steak was a poor cut of meat that had been over cooked. The owner then came over and explained that they had only been there for 5 weeks and still trying to get it right. We then requested two coffees which only come as percolated as they are still waiting for a coffee machine. When we requested the bill my husband commented on the charge of £55.60 as being over priced. Considering I complained twice no reduction was offered nor a coffee on the house. To be honest after the previous owners and the excellent service they gave, we will not be visiting this establishment again. It's a shame to see a good place ending up in the wrong hands. The owner needs to learn and bit more about customer relations, the staff need to get themselves organised. Whether they have been there 5 weeks or 5 years and far better service all round should have been shown. The food is overpriced and of poor quantity.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Chris W
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2013

A friend & I went for lunch there recently. At that time we were the only customers and asked if we could sit in the window on a large table, after a lot of huffing the manager said it would be alright, bearing in mind we are still the only ones inside. A very nice young man brought us the menus & the manager called from behind the bar "Do you ladies want a drink?" we ordered & again the very pleasant yound lad took our food order. He came with the cutlery but handled it all by the wrong end i.e. tines of the fork, blade of the knife and bowl of the spoon. The menu was extensive and the food was really great and very good value but spoiled by the arrogant manager. When asked how long he had been there the response was 8 days, and he told us that he had set up umpteen other eateries for the brewery. I would say that until he goes the place will not be successful as he was not the sort to talk to people, only down to them & of course he knew it all. He wants attract locals and not do parties, celebrations of any kind, only funeral wakes! When we left only 2 other diners came in so the fuss about us sitting at a particular table was nonsense. Food very good ambience awful.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank FrancesandStuart
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I must thank the staff at the Hare and Hounds for accommodating us after my father's funeral recently. They put on an excellent buffet and put up with a our party which contained everything from teenagers to the very elderly. My mum and dad used to eat there quite a lot, being quite local, and thought it would be the ideal place for something to eat and drink after the funeral. They did us proud and helped the day go as well as could be expected. Thank you to all the staff. We still want to take mum there when we visit and hope the new ownership will not have a negative effect.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Nick B
Essex
Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

Had the Sunday carvery and although we were offered a decent amount of meat which for me was over cooked,the vegetables were all frozen and not fresh even the potatoes and Yorkshire puddings were from frozen .Surely it isn't hard or expensive to offer fresh veg.Very disappointing meal and will not return

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank aylott817
Also consider these accommodations in or near Braintree
Holiday Inn Express Braintree
#1 of 1 in Coggeshall
Essex Golf & Country Club
Essex Golf & Country Club
#1 of 2 in Earls Colne

Been to Hare & Hounds? Share your experiences!