“Good hotel with excellent road network nearby.”

Holiday Inn Express Braintree
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Braintree
“Good hotel with excellent road network nearby.”
Reviewed 14 January 2013 via mobile

Stay here for business usually every two weeks.
Clean place and my preferred choice when working around these parts.
Only snag is my room tonight (126) has noisy air-con, not the norm though.
I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel if your in the area.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for a family wedding in November 2012.

As we’ve stayed at this location before, I can draw comparison from when it was a Hampton Inn. I preferred this hotel when it was Hampton Inn as the rooms seemed better the public spaces seemed better and the breakfast was much better. One thing that is still excellent, is the staff. They’re friendly and helpful – I don’t think that you can ask for much more than that. Having said that, rates seem to have beco0me cheaper since it became a Holiday Inn Express.

The biggest grumble I had is that I booked this hotel when it was still a Hampton Inn and about 6 weeks before I stayed, I received an email from Hilton saying that this hotel would no longer be a part of the Hilton portfolio and that the new operator would honour my reservation. There was no mention of the new operator – we had no idea who this was until reviews started appearing on Trip Advisor. There is no reason that Holiday Inn shouldn’t have contacted all booked guests by email, to confirm what the hotel now is.

We stayed with a child, which was the first time we’ve stayed in a hotel since our three-month-old was born. We requested a cot, when booking (this was not transferred to the Holiday Inn booking and had to be requested again). However, it was happily provided. I don’t know what is normally provided in hotels for babies – but we were provided with a travel cot and no sheets or anything. Knowing that our son would not sleep in there anyway, he slept in between us in the main bed, which was plenty big enough for this to happen.

The room is fairly standard – the beds are really comfortable, complete with tea & coffee, TV (with many channels) and a good shower. The breakfast was a bit of a disappointment.

All in all – its OK and at the end of the day it is a hotel on the side of an A-Road, so you're not going to stay here without a reason. (You can't hear the road by the way). Although, whereas the Hampton Inn was worth the extra money you’d pay for a Premier Inn, I would probably only stay here if the rate was attractive enough.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sam0701
Reviewed 2 December 2012 via mobile

We arrived earlier than expected and were checked in easily despite being a couple of hours early than you are supposed to be. Rooms were clean and spacious. Queen size bed was a nice luxury. Everything as expected from stays in similar hotels before. Staff were very friendly and quick to make sure everything was ok. There was no noise from the dual carriageway despite it being so close I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank mrswhymark
Braintree, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2012

I needed a hotel urgently as my house was sold and I couldn't get in to the new place, so I booked in here for four days. The staff are lovely and very helpful, but there were some issues in changing to Holiday Inn Express as it is now.

There was no Wi-Fi, although the signal was there, no one had the code to log on, and the number on the help sheet in the room was "number unavailable" So I had to buy a dongle. I have emailed their HQ about this, but they say it will take up to 14 days to reply to it, which is hardly customer service.

The room was clean, although the hand wash was empty and the shower bracket was broken, so it could not be angled. The room was of a very good size, for this type of hotel.

The breakfast was not up to expectation, the sausages must have been vegetarian as they seemed to have no meat in them. Scrambled eggs and beans accompanied them, although the last morning the beans were off the menu. I had one evening meal which was awful, not a chef in site and from the microwave.

I won't say don't stay because I think once the transformation has completed it will be better and the staff will have to stop apologising for what isn't working, or missing.

HIE, need to make it look a tad more cozy, it was like walking in to a modern hospital, very clinical, and look after those staff, they are an asset.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
northampton
Reviewed 15 November 2012

Bit of a strange on this, I stay at HIE's all the time but this one feels different.

The reason of course is that is has just been taken over from Hampton Inns so the room design is different and, I have to say, not as nice, certainly not as nice as the new design HIE.

Check in was very friendly as was check out. Didn't have breakfast as had early flight from Stansted (about 15 minutes drive at that time in the morning). Did order from the dinner menu the night before though and I got a stuffed crust Chicagotown pizza that you buy in the supermarket, anyway it was fine.

I guess the biggest issue, and I presume this will only be a temporary one, is that there is a large travelers camp right outside the hotel. Apologies if my concern upsets anyone and I don't wish to perpetuate stereotypes, but there was a lot of dog barking etc coming from outside the caravans and this kinds of made me a bit nervous about the car but they had posted a security guard to patrol the area overnight so I am sure everything was safe.

I guess I will try it again a few months and see if it has settled more into a HIE groove!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank animalthatswims
ABERLOUR
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Only stayed 1 night. We have 2 dogs and notified them on booking. Ground floor room supplied with plenty of room for dog beds. Really helpful staff. Meals could be taken in our room. REALLY comfy bed and a great night's sleep. Hotel became a HI Express in Nov 2012, Lots of fresh painting and exceptionally clean and tidy.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Cambridge, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 November 2012

At the end of the day, this is exactly what it says on the tin: a chain hotel, situated on a dual carriageway, on the outskirts of a town struggling to cope with high drugs/crime/unemployment, illegal immigrants and very near to an International Airport. You can't really expect (especially at these prices) to be getting any sense of luxury here. That said, it does fit the bill - sometimes all you need is a 'stopping-off point' - if you have an early start from Stansted, or you are desperate for that bargain from the sales at the Designer Outlet near by, then obviously this may well be the answer to your dreams. There's a friendly face on reception, a well-stocked bar and fairly well-equipped rooms. More importantly for many perhaps (especially given its fairly 'remote' location - in terms of safely accessible places to eat on foot that is) is the free hot breakfast that is included.
Particularly disappointments were the air-con not working and the hot water ran out in the morning (a common issue apparently) and the dirt in the 'common' areas. The rooms could benefit from a refurb and overall this isn't a place I'd feel safe to be in if I was alone (female). However, as I said, for some occasions I can see this place would be suitable as a place to stay. I wouldn't have a ground-floor room. Who knows who's lurking around this car-park at night?

Room Tip: Stay on the side away from the dual carriageway (noise), but on the second floor for safety.