“Enjoyable afternoon tea!”

Ranked #2 of 4 Brentwood B&B and Inns
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable afternoon tea!”
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I booked in for afternoon tea at Kilns after Marygreen Manor were fully booked.

Overall, we really enjoyed it! The staff were excellent and we really couldn't fault the service.

There were a good selection of tasty sandwiches of a reasonable quality. Followed by a delicious selection of cakes and scones.

Afternoon Tea is in the dining room so it does feel a bit formal rather than comfy chairs etc we've had elsewhere, but the whole place is very nicely decorated.

My suggestions would be:
- There was no tea menu?? Normally we are given a list of different teas.
- Sandwiches were served on a plate 1st and the cake tier brought after we'd finishef - we like the tier on the table from the start!

Overall, a really good afternoon which I'd reccommend.

• Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
ROMFORD
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Four of us dined in the restaurant last night.
It was our third visit and we had been pleased on the previous two

All of the food, the wine and the service was excellent
Thank you to the two lovely ladies who served us
We will be back
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank MICKRomford
Romford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Went with a friend for afternoon tea - and what a pleasant experience it was! The service was great and the atmosphere in the restaurant was good. The cream tea and sandwiches was very tasty. Definitely worth a visit!

• Stayed May 2014
Sandbach, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed at The Kilns for one night whilst on business with a colleague.
The first point to note is that the exterior of the premesis has been maintained to an excellent standard and the buildings look gorgeous from the outside with a decent sized car park, certainly giving a very 'top end' hotel feel.
Check - in was quick and easy and at this point it is key to note that the staff were excellent at all times and always made me feel as though my well being during my stay was of upmost importance.
As we arrived later into the evening we ate at the hotel in the very charming restauraunt area, and even though the food is a little pricey the quality of the food and the presentation were first class (I had fishcakes for starters and salmon for mains).
My room was a single room and had an excellent bathroom. One of my pet hates with hotels is that at a lot of other places I have stayed at the hot water isn't exactly 'hot', however on this occasion the shower was excellent with plenty of hot water.
The only minor issues I found were that the windows were fitted with wooden blinds, not curtains and they were not that good at keeping the light out in the early morning, and also I would have loved a bedside table! As there wasn't one I had to keep my phone etc on the desk out of reach of the bed.
I had continental breakfast in the morning which was more than satisfactory and set me up well for the day.
Overall a very good stay and I will stay here again if I'm in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Duststorm
london
Reviewed 17 May 2014

A wonderful old pottery that is now a wonderful hotel/restraraunt.My husband and I had afternoon tea on a Groupon deal and what a good deal it was.Tea, coffee, sandwhiches and cake served by lovely friendly staff.To round off our afternoon....the best "bloody mary" ever...with a dash of sherry! Not to be missed

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wenjilondon
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My partner and I often travel for work,so see a fair few B&Bs and hotels; but The Kilns has topped the feel good factor for me. Quiet, comfortable room with excellent mattress, Good wi fi connection, but most importantly, the nicest staff. All were helpful, kind and jolly,they couldnt do enough for us. A huge thumbs up, keep up the good work!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Yvette A
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We enjoyed a beautiful afternoon tea, the room was lovely and airy and the atmosphere was extremely friendly and welcoming.
The tea itself was gorgeous, the scones were light and fluffy and there was a lovely selection of sandwiches.
It was a very generous tea and the staff were happy to refresh the teapot numerous times, we ended up bringing some cakes and scones home as we couldn't bear to leave them behind and our appetites were fully sated!
I would recommend this for a family treat, romantic lunch or girls afternoon out and will be visiting again soon.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sarah D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brentwood
De Rougemont Manor
#1 of 3 in Hornchurch
Gidea Park Hotel
Gidea Park Hotel
#3 of 6 in Romford

Been to The Kilns Hotel? Share your experiences!