“Very nice place” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alec's Restaurant

Alec's Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 156 Restaurants in Brentwood
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, View, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Epping, Essex.
“Very nice place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2012

This place is in a nice village setting. The restaurant is clean bright and very busy. The food is delicious and fresh. Nice menu.

The service is very good from the minute you arrive. There is a spiral staricase to an upstairs bar that is open til late.

Outside is a decked area, which is nice in the summer. Parking was easy for the lunch time visit that we had.

Cerrtainly worth a visit.

Visited July 2012

“Not cosy enough for me, good for showing off.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

Hi I enjoyed my starter at this restaurant, in fact I would say the lobster and prawn cocktail was the best I have ever eaten. However my hake main course was overlooked and I object to having to pay for sides, with the alternative being just a lump of fish on a large plate!!! I also find this restaurant loud and cold. However the food is good and the waitresses try hard, it's just not my sort of place or people.

London, United Kingdom
“Not as good as previous.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

I went to Alec's on Saturday evening which was my 7th time. Previously, I have really rated it but felt that this time things were not quite up to previous experiences. All started well with seating, taking drinks order, taking food order and delivery of drinks. The starter, tuna tartare, was excellent as was my guest's sushimi. When the main course came up, halibut, the presentation as usual was very good. The problem was the side order of chips which looked and tasted like old chip shop ones that had sat under a heater to keep them warm. Certainly not crispy. The halibut was of a high standard. I ordered a further glass of wine when the food was delivered but this only turned up, after chasing, at the end of my meal.
Alec's has set high standards and I just hope that this was a blip as high prices deserve outstanding food and service.
I will certainly give it another chance.

1 Thank Peter S
London, United Kingdom
“Love the decor and the food is good, but..........”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

if you like to be able to have a comfortable conversation with the rest of the people on your table this is definitely NOT the place for you. This was my first eagerly awaited visit and I was very impressed as I walked in. The bar area was great and very inviting and the restaurant looks fantastic too, just like a fine dining place should look.
As for the food, my starter and main were very good although the spinach could have been drained properly that my lovely turbot was sitting on. Dessert was fine. This place is not cheap and quite frankly I expected a little more.
As I said earlier the noise levels just gradually increased (I guess that the wooden floors don't help to cushion the voices), but you could only have a conversation with the person sitting next to you and at times this was a struggle! Otherwise you had to shout which it seemed like most of the other diners were doing. I was only in a party of 5 (not 10 where I know it would be impossible to talk to everyone), so not on a big table at all. Maybe in certain parts of Essex they like to go out and shout over dinner on a Saturday evening!
I also found the staff somewhat cold in their approach, and as soon as we had finished our desserts we felt we were being glared at somewhat................yes we definitely felt like they wanted us to go, even though they did not need our table as it was near the end of the evening.
Sadly I would NOT go back out of choice, as I had had high hopes for this place.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 10AFC
“AMAZING FISH!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2012

I had dinner with a friend last night at Alec's in Navestock. I had the crab ravioli to start, the turbot for main course and the plum tarte tatin for dessert. Each course was perfect. The turbot was absolutely gorgeous. It was expensive, but worth every penny. I cannot recommend it enough. I will definitely be going back again. Oh and I forgot to mention the service was excellent too. Oh and if you have a small appetite don't choose the plum tarte tatin for dessert as you wont be able to eat it all. I wish all restaurants could be this good!

2 Thank willow1964