“Fantastic quality.”

Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
essex
“Fantastic quality.”
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

6 of us visited on Friday 27th for a family celebration. I cannot praise the service from all involved enough, competent, subtle and on hand all the time. WELL DONE.
Absolutely fantastic food, from the starters to mains and desserts. Perfectly cooked, scallops, king prawns, soft crab, surf and turf, steak cooked to perfection and me personally the finest Dover soul on the bone I have had in many many years. Superb chilled wine..
Yes some may say pricey, but the finest quality, worth every penny spent.
If you enjoy superb food and ambiance you must visit.

1 Thank rayleighmark

Wickford, United Kingdom
“Top Notch”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The food is amazing, good quality, big portions. Having spent years in the industry - I can tell you the fish is fresh and anyone who researches this place - will know the owners will be passionate about the quality of fish the sell. Service was immaculate - efficient and friendly (a combo many restaurants get wrong). I can't believe being local I have waited so long to come here, well worth the wait and looking for any excuse to return.

• Visited May 2014
UK
“A real gem”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

A friend invited me to lunch on my birthday and booked in at Alec's, a place I had never heard of before and I really looked forward to going somewhere new.
A lovely setting, in the rolling countryside with wonderful views from the terrace and a large well maintained car park opposite the local village cricket pitch. Quintessentially English scenery, the building very well maintained inside and out with a modern interior in muted colours but with bright paintings of fish on the pale walls.
I had not realised that the restaurant was a fish restaurant and I am not really a fish eater so was a bit concerned that I would have a problem in choosing something to eat.
Wow what a menu - so much to choose from, different menus giving a great deal of choice and several price options, Al la Carte, a daily menu and specials were on offer.
I did choose a fish starter, a meat main course and a dessert which was wonderful.
The prices are quite steep and I am not sure if it is possible to have such an extensive fresh fish menu in the countryside. It is difficult enough to offer so many fish choices where catches are landed fresh from the boats in fishing ports. Perhaps the owners could enlighten us?
Service was excellent despite it being very busy, we were offered a small canapé before our meal which was a very nice touch and very acceptable.
The one thing I would like to ask the owners is could you please offer more than one meat choice for people like me who visit with someone who is a fish fan?

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Lallysykes
Epping, United Kingdom
“Great Place”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I have eaten a number of times at Alec's and each time it gets better and better, and the visit last Saturday was the best to date, the whole place has a great feel of being well run and proffessional and the greeting from the restaurant manager Jack Bell was impressive greeting all of us like friends, and even remembering names, and the last time we eat at Alecs was 4/5 months ago.
The service was swift and the attention to detail like seeing that we still had bread but no butter, filling our glasses from the excellent and modestly priced wine list , and not feeling that we had been rushed or just another punter . The soft shell crab with the sauce was wonderful, and the scampi in a basket was a real treat being moist and full of flavour , the pudding a work of art. We all agreed it was a super evening and wish to thank Alec, Jack and all the staff for making it special

• Visited June 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Alecs Navestocke”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We visited Alecs for the last time on Friday. Having been there many times and taken friends who have not been there before, enough is enough. We were a table of eight and took drinks upstairs. I asked the waitress if they had fresh orange she said yes. when all the drinks arrived my orange was Britvic in a bottle. I said this is not fresh orange to which the waitress replied, it's as fresh as you will get in here. She visited our table five more times in half an hour encouraging us to buy more drinks. The meal was ok, but we had sparkling water filled up by the same waitress three times with still water, the coffee was stewed at least an hour old, and when the bill arrived the tonic served with the gin was charged at £6 the tonic with vodka £4 and the coke with the whiskey £5 . I believe our waitress passed on our complaints to the head waiter but he showed no interest. I think Alec is now semi retired and has taken his eye off the business during service. Time for us to move on to pastures new.

• Visited June 2014