“lovely weather and garden! Awful food!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #127 of 156 Restaurants in Brentwood
Price range: US$9 - US$20
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, View, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Upminster, United Kingdom
“lovely weather and garden! Awful food!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

Sat outside which was lovely sitting in the sun, but the food was awful, we had the scampi and chips. The scampi was reheated frozen supermarket stuff, served about 10 chips and a few hard peas, the pimms eton mess was just as bad, a pot of cream with half a small shop bought meringue with 1 strawberry! No sign of any pimms sauce what so ever.
such a shame as last time we came here the fish and chips was lovely.

1 Thank Lisa B

Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Lovely....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Had the sharing beef ribs (best pub food I've had in ages)!
Really good Adnams ale. The pub was packed, but the food for x10 of us arrived quickly. A few small glitches - frozen yoghurt arrived (melted) no spoons brought out with desert, but every table was taken, so staff were stretched to the max. Second time we've been there and have impressed on both occasions. Lovely location and the pub is really nice inside.
Worth a visit and great for big parties of people.

Romford
“What a waste of money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

My first terrible review....

Where to start... firstly I have eaten here before and the service and food have been OK, but this time.. Sigh...

Well the food was nothing short of shocking, almost everything we ordered was bland, pre-processed and totally disappointing.

I ordered the "whale" of a fish with chips and peas... needless to say this whale would have not worried captain Ahab... more of obese whitebait... and the chips were awful. Honestly these were oven chips and baked fish... the sort you would buy in Lidl's... Tragic.

My partner had Pork Belly which was actually nice, however we ordered side dishes of Mediterranean Veg, now I have been to the Med and the vegetables there have taste and colour, they were vile tasteless and greasy... And the cauliflower cheese.. we left that too.

I ordered desserts as I had eaten there before and they had been lovely, I got Eton Mess well the strawberry equivalent anyway and this too had had the taste removed.. My partner ordered the cheesecake with salted caramel and peanut butter, to the Greyhounds credit this at least had taste and she enjoyed it.

To top off this appalling experience I couldn't even get the staffs attention to pay the bill, when I finally asked for it they took fifteen minutes to bring it to me.

Greyhound management what has gone wrong?

I think the mindset of this chain can be summed up in a line on their menu.

"Upgrade you chips to gourmet chips for £1.50" Can you believe it?

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank Eric W
London, United Kingdom
“Great mid week choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

We went there mid week and had a great meal and really enjoyed it.
I do hear stories of terrible food or service, but until you try these places you cant judge.
There was theme nights and Wednesday was Pie night, i notice Thursday was Grill night, we will try that another time.
The service was excellant. And the meals me and my wife had where lovely.
So good Wednesday night meal...

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“What service?? No service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

My husband and I decided to go for a nice pub lunch yesterday (sat 3rd May) we don't live in Brentwood, so passed at least 3 other vintage inns to get to this one, we had been here before and enjoyed our lunch and the surroundings so much, decided to go back,, It was quite busy, so we stood at the bar to be seated, to be ignored by the waitress who was getting some drinks, we asked if we could choose any table, to which she replied yes, we found a nice quiet table at the front in an inlet, we sat there a while, wondering if they knew we were there my husband got up to get the menus from the bar, only to be told off and told she would bring them over! The menus arrived and we ordered drinks, which were served swiftly and our order taken. The area we were sitting smelt fusky and damp and the floor around the surrounding tables were filthy! We finished our drinks, no waitress in sight for ages, so my husband went up to the bar and got them himself. The food came quite quickly and was mediocre. Empty plates sat in front of us for ages, we couldn't find anyone to ask for the bill, so once again my husband went to the bar to request this. Hardly a relaxing enjoyable lunch! The bill came with the dirty plates still in front of us! More staff required - what a shame, we wont be going back!

• 2 of 5 bubbles