“Absolute Dive...”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Basically if you would like to go somewhere that is half decorated, with poor food to be surrounded by chavs then a Saturday night in Joy Fook might be right up your alley. The place literally looks like a fire alarm went off half way through the paint job and the decorators never came back. The food is average at best, for £18 I found the buffet rather expensive taking into consideration the quality of the food. Overall bad bad bad, I would much rather spend £10 more and eat somewhere decent. Avoid.

1  Thank Raymondo84

Reviewed 25 January 2014

I've been going to Joy fook for a number of years now, not frequently but fairly regularly. My last visit on 20th January 2014 was very disappointing. There has been an obvious change of kitchen staff, because the hot and sour soup (which I love) tasted completely different, with a distinct aftertaste. The starters and duck were OK, but the main dishes, which we have had before, were different in both appearance and taste (and not for the better).
The final nail in the coffin was the coffee, which has always been good at Joy Fook. This time it was instant!!!! Served with a bowl of brown sugar and small jug of cream for appearance sake, but definitely instant - and I love my coffee, so I would know.
Will not be back in a hurry.

1  Thank 135StephenB
Reviewed 11 January 2014

After reading the reviews I was worried about going after been invited to a friends birthday. I am very fussy about standards so who better than to write a review.
The place wasn't very busy so I guess we got the best of the food.
Staff were helpful on arrival showing us to our tables.
Yes the place could do with a facelift but the look wasn't dirty or as bad as people make out.
Food,it was just your standard Chinese with the favorites on the menu with some extras.
It was all presented nicely and was hot, there was enough selection to keep you happy but some dishes were not replenished when getting low.
Overall I found the food tasty and what to expect from a Chinese Buffett.
I have had better and that was at 210 in Chafford Hundred which is a higher standard.
Visited the toilets once,seemed ok.
House wine was priced as you would expect, I paid £4.60 for a pint of shandy and a lime and soda water so a tad expensive.
Bar,even though we were the only ones at the bar we had to wait for staff to serve which was quite frustrating,bar staff were not particularly happy chaps.
DJ,music was up to date and typical of a DJ,easy dancing selection.
We all enjoyed ourselves but all had the same complaint,the plates are ridiculous,small sides plates which were full in no time meaning lots of visits to the buffet.
I would imagine if the place was full then continual visits to the buffet would be frustrating due to the small plates. Ribs were not the best quite sticky and sweet, not your usual barbecue ribs.
Smoking area is right at the entrance so you have to walk through people smoking to get in which is off putting at first and could be better relocated away to the side.
I would go back but when quiet.

Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

We used to visit this restaurant a couple of times a week. Don't know why, but we've not been for 3/4 years. Just had lunch there which initially seemed good value. £12.50 for a buffet lunch. Order as much as you want. Service was very mediocre. The main course arrived and they had forgotten 2 of the 4 dishes. My guest had pork ribs which were very messy and we actually had to ask for a finger bowl! The white wine was warm and the waitress asked if I wanted some ice on it!? The ice was the better option than warm white wine! My guest said the ribs were only average. As was the prawn toast, which had been wafted over the prawns. Very little sign of them and it tasted like fried bread with sesame seeds. Oh well. Onto the main course. This was plain noodles, Singapore noodles, spicy squid and sweet n sour chicken. The chicken was extremely tough but the rest was ok. The atmosphere could have been good, but we were the only people in there (which given the quality of the food, we were not surprised). It'll be a long time before I return.

Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Ten of us went there for New Year's Eve night, had a great night, food was good, music and DJ wasn't bad, price was good, good atmosphere, staff where friendly, the only downside was they closed at 1am could have done with at least another hour.
Overall a good night